1/72 HR Model Nieuport 10 3964, Lt Reginald Bone DSO, 4 Wing RNAS, 19 March 1916

As the Nieuport 17 is coming along well, I thought I might try and build a third kit for this GB, the HR Model Nieuport 10, in the "France and Early RNAS" boxing. The name of the boxing is something of a misnomer, as it includes only one RNAS option amid a sea of French (and one American) markings. The RNAS 'plane, 3964, is distinguished by its retention of the French wing roundels, with British-style ones on the fuselage only.

The aircraft I'll be building earned a measure of fame (and a DSO for the pilot, Flight Commander Lt. Reginald Bone) on March 19, 1916, when it forced down a Friedrichshaffen FF33 seaplane that had bombed Deal as part of a larger raid of six seaplanes which killed four children driving to a Sunday School class, along with ten adult civilians. The damaged seaplane, along with its injured crew was later towed by the Germans back to Zeebrugge.

Writing after the war, Bone commented: "[T]his was the first time that any British aircraft had made contact with a raiding German aircraft...the authorities were so glad to have a Communique [at the time, the Coalition government was under heavy pressure from the right-wing MP and founder of Supermarine Noel Pemberton Billing over their conduct of the air war] that they awarded me an immediate DSO, which I probably did not deserve."

Bone was something of a public hero after this, and his photograph made the front page of the Daily Mirror. In his subsequent career, he served as a test pilot, in the Aegean, and, transferring to the newly formed RAF as a Wing Commander, in Russia first leading the RAF contingent on HMS Nairana, and then the RAF portion of Syrenforce, the British mission in Murmansk.

In the interwar period, Bone had several run-ins with T.E. "Of Arabia" Lawrence, first when Lawrence tried to enlist under an assumed name, and latterly when Lawrence served under him as an enlisted man at the RAF depot at Dringh Road in India. It is safe to say the two men did not get on, with Lawrence writing to his friend Air-Vice Marshall Geoffrey Salmond, then AOC-India about Bone in unflattering terms; depending on who one chooses to believe, Bone did or did not deserve this. In any case, Bone managed to rise to Group Captaincy regardless, becoming Air Attache in Paris (and identifying the bodies in the wreckage of R101) in 1930. He retired from the RAF in 1934. From 1939-1941, he was station commander at RAF Pembroke Dock, the large flying boat base; appropriate, as he had first served on flying boats in 1914 onboard HMS Empress. After 1941, he retired to Birmingham, serving as RAF Liaison to Civil Defence and marrying the widow of an ARP Warden. Postwar, he worked for Lucas Engineering on jet propulsion, and died in 1972.

I'll try and get some pictures up tonight.

• Like 1

Hi PC,

That's interesting, I thought all the HR Kits were enormously expensive resin ones... it looks quite nice from what I can see.

There are some nice markings options on the link you provided, I particularly like the Imperial Russian one with the skull-and-crossbones rudder, and the Belgian one with the fuselage comet (I have markings for a Gloster Gladiator which are similar).

(Edit: sorry, I scrolled down the page and saw that these are actually different boxings, I thought that was an excessively generous amount of decal options for one kit :blush: )

Cheers,

Stew

Hi PC,

That's interesting, I thought all the HR Kits were enormously expensive resin ones... it looks quite nice from what I can see.

Yes, I'm quite excited, as they're also releasing a new Sopwith Pup in 1/72, which is, I believe, the second injection-molded offering in...fifty years?

I'll be interested to see how this turns out as I have it in my stash. I plan to build the early version 2 seater with the hole in the upper wing for the observer to stand up in!

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, some progress!

There's not as much info out there on the Newp Ten as there is on her thinner, sleeker, sexier younger sister, the Newp Eleven, but it's a changing world, and you should know by now that if you don't think bigger is beautiful, it's a serious flaw in your own person, and you should feel pretty bad about it. Guilt can neither be created nor destroyed, you know, merely shifted to new people.

At any rate, because of this shameful neglect, there's not a ton of info on the Newp Ten (side note, if we ever move to Michigan, Mrs. Procopius has promised, foolishly, that I can build and fly a 1:1 replica Nieuport 11; she has reached the "say anything" phase of trying to get me to move there), so I'm guessing a bit. I assume the front fuselage is wood, with a metal bit for the very front, and then fabric behind the cockpit all the way to the tail. So I dug out the oil paint and got to work.

10672130_862333093791504_374714808042159

10406984_862333130458167_703632234462480

10479747_862333117124835_185922827043089

• Like 1

Good progress PC :)

Did Mrs PC also agree to spend days removing splinters from your tender nethers when your 1:1 scale Newp exhibits the flying characteristics of a cardboard box? You need to get these things agreed in advance you know :lol:

That said, I would pay cold hard cash to watch you build one B)

Cheers,

Stew

Good progress PC :)

Did Mrs PC also agree to spend days removing splinters from your tender nethers when your 1:1 scale Newp exhibits the flying characteristics of a cardboard box? You need to get these things agreed in advance you know :lol:

That said, I would pay cold hard cash to watch you build one B)

Cheers,

Stew

Happily they have a kit (sans engine) which costs about as much as a used car: http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/nieuport17%7BFullscale%7D.html

I think Mrs. P has by this point tacitly accepted that a large part of her time with me will be spent sighing wearily.

Happily they have a kit (sans engine) which costs about as much as a used car: http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/nieuport17%7BFullscale%7D.html

I think Mrs. P has by this point tacitly accepted that a large part of her time with me will be spent sighing wearily.

Nice link; you get RFC decals with that one too... :closedeyes:

I can't imagine you can convincingly sigh wearily whilst de-splintering your loved one's tender nethers, there is an inherent comedy value to it which I am sure will not be wasted on Mrs PC :D

Cheers,

Stew

I can't imagine you can convincingly sigh wearily whilst de-splintering your loved one's tender nethers, there is an inherent comedy value to it which I am sure will not be wasted on Mrs PC :D

She has, to be sure, a terrifyingly well-developed affinity for sarcasm. As a kindergarten teacher, she has to bottle it up all day, so I get it all once I get home. However, she can only just barely use a computer, so she has to be nice to me every now and then, since all of our bills are paid online and the budget spreadsheet is a google doc.

Was that sigh wearily?

Stay with it,it'll look well when it's done.

The classic "modeller's sigh". Less often heard 'round these parts than the searing torrent of expletives also utilized by your frustrated modeller.

I try never to throw out a kit that cost me more than £12 with shipping (honorable exception for Hasegawa F-4s, of which I have ruined no less than three in four years beyond economic repair), and this just barely nudges over that line, so I'll proceed. The wood grain effect looks so nice, I may just keep it, secure in the knowledge that I have a second Nie.10 kit with a marking option I like more (a Union Jack covering the entirety of the tailfin).

• Like 1

Put it down to "batch variation" (a borrowed term from another poster that serves me well). Maybe some bright spark thought they'd cover the wood with fabric at the factory...for better insulation or something that seemed like a good idea at the time... Anyways you need the practice for the 1:1 build.

Put it down to "batch variation" (a borrowed term from another poster that serves me well). Maybe some bright spark thought they'd cover the wood with fabric at the factory...for better insulation or something that seemed like a good idea at the time... Anyways you need the practice for the 1:1 build.

That's a hell of a batch variation, to replace the linen covering of the forward fuselage with a wooden sheath! I wonder if the Nie.10's anemic 80 horses could lift the aircraft in that event?

I really should paint over my lovely woodgrain with the fabric colour...sigh.

I'm puttering along on this. After the Eduard kit, it's a bit painful to go back to a shorter-run kit like this, and I've definitely broken out the Mr. Surfacer and Tamiya putty. Additionally, the instructions are a little unclear at points, and so, for instance, I couldn't figure out WTH the lozenge-shaped fuel tank that goes in the nose is mounted on...so I omitted it. Nobody would ever know if I didn't tell them. The mounting pin holes for the struts are also a good deal smaller than the holes they're meant to go into, so I drilled out the holes with a #70 drill bit (0.71 mm), and that seemed to work everywhere but the wings, where a comedy of errors lead to me sticking a piece of brass rod through the fuselage and out the mounting holes, snipping off the locating pins on the wings, and drilling into them to receive the rod...wow, this is positively titillating, isn't it? Anyhow, I'm fairly sure one of the wings is slightly further forward than the other, but: brass rod. It's in god's hands, I guess.

I'm stealing one of the spare cowls from the Eduard Newp 17, which would be an exact match for the kit cowl, if the kit cowl hadn't been a short shot.

I think I should be able to prime this tomorrow, then figure out how to best paint the prominent black edging that runs around all the canvas portions of the Nie.10, as seen here: http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/ww1_precurseurs/nieuport_10a2.htm

As for the interior, I sloppily brushpainted CDL over my beautiful handiwork. It's almost impossible to see in the cockpit anyhow. Sigh.

1911647_865568086801338_4728371711325786

10646932_865568103468003_122840409628042

1891108_865568113468002_7761016610593747

• Like 1

Just had a bottle of Alclad microfiller primer -- far and away the best primer I've ever used -- anyhow, just had one of the little ball bearings in the bottle punch through the side! Lucky me I had an empty bottle to pour it into, but it happened while I was shaking it and I'm sure I look hilarious right now.