FIRST AIRLINER

stevej60

Hi folks, ever since joining BM i,ve seen some stunning civil aircraft posted I know there are nowhere near as many as military

types posted but I havn,t seen a bad one so fancy a go so two questions: my lms has most of the revell range in stock and the

re-released airfix kits(the last airliners I built in the seventies) I thought about Revells A319 in British airways livery as a good

simple starter how does it build? and as gloss paint is something I avoid like the plague which gloss airbrushes best as he has

stock of most modeling brands.cheers Steve.

Hi Steve.

The Revell A319 would be a great place to start although there are a couple of mods required in the interest of accuracy. The old Airfix kits can be turned into excellent models too as shown in some of the builds posted here.

Most of the airliner modellers tend to prefer the Halfords primers and Appliance white for the top coat where applicable. Although in aerosol form, these can easily be decanted and used in your airbrush if you prefer.

Have a look through the civil section for some outstanding examples and a few pointers as to the pitfalls encountered.

Best of luck with the build.

Chris

• Like 1

Steve -

Welcome to the dark side!

As Chris mentions, for that gloss white finish ( or blue for BA ) rattle cans are the easiest way to go. I must admit though, that I wouldn't recognize an airbrush if I found it in my soup, so rattle cans are all I know.

The old Airfix 727s and 737s clean up nicely. For an Airbus 319, besides the Revell kit, Zvezda has just released one where one has the options of extended flaps, and even an open door with a hint of detail inside.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Steve

To answer your original question, the only dedicated airliner paints are produced by Hannants in the Xtracolor range. They do Boeing and Airbus greys, BA blue, KLM blue, Aer Lingus greens, various BEA colours and many, many others. The paints are enamel and airbrush beautifully but can take a long time to dry. The biggest problem is the ridiculous postal regulations which prevent "dangerous" good being sent in the ordinary mail and mean that ordering paint by post is expensive. :rant: You may know that already and if you're not within reach of Hannants the only answer is to order enough to make the postage worthwhile.

Halfords Appliance White is the paint of choice for most airliner modellers nowadays. Although I'm happy to spray Halfords primers straight from the can I almost always decant and airbrush Appliance White and any other gloss colours although plenty of other modellers get great results direct from the can. Vauxhall Regatta Blue is a decent match for the current BA blue although the exact colour is available in Xtracolor if you're happy with enamel. Some people like Ford Dove Grey for Boeing and/or Airbus Grey but it always seems a shade too dark to my eyes and I'll stick to Xtracolor at least until my stock runs out.

The Revell A319 is a great little kit although the wing is only correct for the A321 and needs a few small fairings removed and a couple of panel lines filled in. The winglets are under sized and should really be replaced. I hope Mike doesn't mind me pointing out that the Zvezda kit is the A320, not the A319. It can, of course, be converted but with a kit as good as the Revell one readily available and significantly cheaper that wouldn't really make much sense.

Here's a link to a thread you may find helpful:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925976-revells-baby-airbuses-easy-beginners-kit-or-the-last-thing-you-want/?hl=a319

Welcome to the wonderful world of model airliners

• Like 1

I hope Mike doesn't mind me pointing out that the Zvezda kit is the A320, not the A319. It can, of course, be converted but with a kit as good as the Revell one readily available and significantly cheaper that wouldn't really make much sense.

Thanks for catching that - I actually knew that but typing in full flush of trying to be helpful at dawn, before my first coffee - well . . . .

Sorry Steve - of course BA flies the 320.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Guys,I have a tin of appliance white so thats a start,Popping into shop tomorrow so will try and not walk out with a 747 but stick with

the Airbus as I really do like the livery,I will do a WIP so hope you can help with those corrections!

Edited by stevej60

Hi folks,got the Revell 319 and 320 (20% off at my lms) so doing a wip on the Lufthansa A320 first to get one under my belt as it has a slightly

simpler scheme so any tips or pitfalls let me know.

No particular pitfalls except that once again the wing needs to be corrected and, ideally, the winglets replaced. Opinions differ about whether it's best to install the nosewheel leg when assembling the fuselage halves or leave it off until after painting. Personally I always do it at the joining stage and the only time in 20-odd models I've ever broken one was when I dropped the model on a concrete floor!

The moulds are starting to get tired and you'll probably find a bit of flash to be removed and some sink holes to be filled but nothing show-stopping.

The only other point is that there is an error on the decal sheet which gives the over-wing exit markings (decals 97 and 98) in red. Although most A320s do have red markings Lufthansa aircraft are an exception and they should be black. Unless you can source black markings from somewhere or you possess exceptional overpainting skills you'll probably have to live with it.

Edited by Skodadriver

Thanks for that,I,ve just been cleaning up the major components prior to washing them, I did remove a bit of flash and a dry run showed a not so good

top fuselage join which will need a bit of work helped by removing the locating pins.

I just built this exact model and did a WIP. This was also my first civil airliner. There were several times where it was going to get thrown in the bin. But I stuck with it and it looks good on the shelf.

I just started an A320 Swiss. It is way easier, being all white fuselage.

My advice would be to leave the winglets and little pieces off until very end. As they can easily get broken off and lost. As did with mine. I had to buy a second kit to get some replacement parts and replace a broken decal.

I just built this exact model and did a WIP. This was also my first civil airliner. There were several times where it was going to get thrown in the bin. But I stuck with it and it looks good on the shelf.

My advice would be to leave the winglets and little pieces off until very end. As they can easily get broken off and lost. As did with mine. I had to buy a second kit to get some replacement parts and replace a broken decal.

Thanks,I cut of all the lumps and bumps especially on the upper fuselage as it was a terrible fit and needed filling and sanding I,ll add them before

the gloss goes on quite enjoying this airliner lark!

Remember the scene in Father Ted when Dougal could,nt resist pressing the "do not press" button in the cockpit?Well popped into

my LMS for a bottle of gloss white yesterday and came out with Revells Lufthansa 747-400! Oh dear I wish I had asked you guys

about it first,some lovely panel lines but I,ve seen vac-forms with less flash! cut the major components off the sprue this morning and

there are going to be some challenges when I get round to it.Anyone built it and still of sound mind?

• Like 1

Remember the scene in Father Ted when Dougal could,nt resist pressing the "do not press" button in the cockpit?Well popped into

my LMS for a bottle of gloss white yesterday and came out with Revells Lufthansa 747-400!

Yes, that sort of thing does happen. A former colleague of mine once went out to buy a cauliflower and came back with a new car. (She was blonde, both literally and figuratively).

The Revell 744 has shape issues around the cockpit and I believe the wing incidence is wrong which means that the engines tend to hang a bit too low. Despite these problems it can be turned into a stunning model as this thread shows:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965005-boeing-747-443-virgin-atlantic/?hl=%2Bboeing+%2B747

Edit

Just came across this which might also interest you:

http://airlinercafe.com/photosearch.php?phgid=1611

Edited by Skodadriver
  • Like 1

Another question guys,the A319 has two choices of engines in the kit which type is right for the BA version?

I usually check on http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/index.php for things like that: Just type your desired registration into the search field, proceed, then click on the c/n and you get the necessary data.

You don't always have to buy a second kit to satisfy that carpet monster. Revell's Department-X is really helpful: [email protected]

Edited by Whisky Papa