WIP: Airfix A02029 ME109G-6 Finnish Air Force 1/72

Unreal Paulo!

Looks brilliant....colours are amazing and the spinner and weathering is just incredible!.

One thing....is there something a bit "bumpy" on the roundel on the right hand side wing in the photos?

Or is that still settling down with solutions after applying the decals?

I'm not being a smartypants.......It's just that you're just good at spotting things for me you can pay attention to and get a better model! LOL :thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce

PS Hope the birthday celebrations went well and weren't too warm over the weekend!

Yes! there is some blotches that I need to retouch later.

• Like 1

Thanks for your heads up mate! No offense taken! That's why we all post in a forum, to hear critics and to try to improve our skills (at least, that's what I think).

In regards to your links, like you said it's hard to find info on those Finnish 109. The links you've shown are for the 109 during WWII (see the national insignia = swastika). Mine on the other hand represents a plane in it's end of career, in 1948.

For the painting I need to have a base point, so what I've done was:

This is the only photo showing this particular plane (MT-422) with the shark mouth painted:

BF109G6_FIN014.jpg

Enhanced image of the above photo:

BF109G6_FIN014.jpg

Taking this photo as a started point I started to compare with the various profiles I found in the net:

BF109G6_FIN013.jpg

BF109G6_FIN015.jpg

and also with Airfix painting profile:

BF109G6_FIN002.jpg

If you look closely to the actual plane photography, the nose on the actual plane shows that the camouflage is the black colour (matching with the Airfix profile). I was happy to that! It maybe not the 100% sure about the camo (the only way to have would be photos of the same plane sideway), but at least I have a story to believe.

I'm still open to hear more arguments in this regards though!

I completely agree that with discussing about different opinions we are likely to learn more about the subject. This time we don't share same opinion but hopefully someone reading this has got some inspiration,,,

I was looking this nose photo in a Finnish book and for me it looks that the middle drawing is the correct one. It looks for me that the eye is on green area and black behind it.

One link more to feed thoughts: http://fighters.forumactif.com/t61190p15-bf-109-g6-finlandais-camo-noir-vert-mt-422-ou-mt-466

In any case your '09 is the best one I have seen built from the new Airfix! ;)

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Continuing with this building I finally touched up some parts of the camouflage and applied the the matt finish.

For the flat coat I've tried something different. I have heard about people using Future + Tamiya Flat Base, so I decided to give it a try.

I mixed 4 or 5 parts of Flat Base to 10 drops of Future + 3 drops of Tamiya thinner (X-20A).

I airbrushed it and the coat was smooth and gave a semi-flat finish that I liked.

Here are some photos:

BF109G6_FIN090.jpg

BF109G6_FIN091.jpg

BF109G6_FIN092.jpg

Now it's almost done! Just need to get the bits and pieces together.

• Like 3

Continuing with this building I finally touched up some parts of the camouflage and applied the the matt finish.

For the flat coat I've tried something different. I have heard about people using Future + Tamiya Flat Base, so I decided to give it a try.

I mixed 4 or 5 parts of Flat Base to 10 drops of Future + 3 drops of Tamiya thinner (X-20A).

I airbrushed it and the coat was smooth and gave a semi-flat finish that I liked.

Here are some photos:

BF109G6_FIN090.jpg

BF109G6_FIN091.jpg

BF109G6_FIN092.jpg

Now it's almost done! Just need to get the bits and pieces together.

Nice Paulo...I like that.

I was considering mixing a flat base with some Future for a slight sheen on a basic matte for another project. Yours shows it can be done and looks just right!

Your 109G is looking GGGG...G..,..G.........Great!

Cheers

Bruce

PS If the coat isn't drying you can borrow the lamp....LOL :yikes::analintruder::winkgrin::coolio::thumbsup:

Salute!

• Like 1

To finish off this model I glued all bits and pieces in place. No dramas here, everything fit perfectly.

I've used the black pastel chalk (Yes! I still use them! :) to simulate the engine exhaust stain.

Then I removed the mask on the canopy and as a final touch, glued the cable antenna. My method to make such cable antenna is quite simple, just use stretching treads, in my case I use Ezy Line fine. Just glue using super glue one end to the mast pole, wait to set, place another drop of super glue on the other end (where its suppose to be fixed), stretch the line as much as you can and touch the super glue. Wait for setting completely and them remove the excess. Easy at it seems!

Here a couple of photos. More detailed photos to come.

BF109G6_FIN093.jpg

BF109G6_FIN094.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed this building as much as I did!

See you soon for another WIP!

Cheers!

Edited by ArmouredSprue
  • Like 2

Paulo mon ami.

The final touches and finishes to the build look just brilliant.

Get some pics up in the RFI so we can all get a close up look at this work of art.

Great stuff

Tre Bien

Bellisimo.

Salute!

Bruce

PS work out all those weird attempts at salutations in European languages!

As promised, here are the photos, click on the photo to zoom it.

Me109 G-6 (MT-422) flown by SSgt. Bjore Hielm of 2/HLeLv 31, Suomen Ilmavoimat.

March, 6 1948

BF109G6_FIN095.jpg

See you soon!

Congratulations for finishing this beauty!"

I believe that late Bƶrje (pls note the correct writing of his name) as an old modeller would be happy see his old mount! I just recently read his article about the background of this shark mouth. After looking all those Tomahawks and other shark mouths he figured about that the 109 was the most shark-shaped one! This is the result ;)

Cheers!

AaCee

• Like 1

Congratulations for finishing this beauty!"

I believe that late Bƶrje (pls note the correct writing of his name) as an old modeller would be happy see his old mount! I just recently read his article about the background of this shark mouth. After looking all those Tomahawks and other shark mouths he figured about that the 109 was the most shark-shaped one! This is the result ;)

Cheers!

AaCee

Thanks for the kind words and for the correction! I have updated the name in my blog.

Cheers

• 4 years later...

Wow! This is some great work! I'm really impressed by the scratch building and that finish is terrific.Ā  I just saw this week that Airfix had released this Finnish version of the G-6 and I was sorely tempted to try and find it.Ā  After seeing this... well... I feel my wallet burning!Ā :DĀ 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...