Revell 1:24 Iveco Stralis Truck

richellis

Revell Iveco Stralis Tractor unit

1:24 Injection Moulded kit

stralis_bedford%20020.JPG

The Iveco Stralis was launched by Italian truck manufacturer Iveco in 2002 as a replacement for its EuroStar and EuroTech range. When launched the Stralis was the first truck to come with an automatic gearbox as standard, covering the heavy end of the Iveco range (19t to 44t) the Stralis is available as tractor unit or a rigid truck in a Varity of lengths and number of axles.
In 2007 the Stralis received a facelift to the cab, and with its eurotronic automatic gear box and range of Cursor engines it has become a popular truck. Italeri released a 1:24 version of the 4x2 tractor unit last year, and now Revell have popped the Italeri plastic in its box with some new decals.

stralis_bedford%20021.JPG

stralis_bedford%20022.JPG

stralis_bedford%20023.JPG

Construction starts with the Cursor 10 engine, the 10l 450hp Euro 5 engine, construction takes the first 8 steps of the build, I normally build the chassis first so tend to skip forward though the steps. There is a good amount of detail on the parts, but as ever there is scope to add more cables and pipes to the engine bay. Although the instructions say the engine must be installed to the chassis early in the build, the chassis can be built and painted before the engine is installed should you want it in a contrasting colour and to make it easier to detail. I did this on my previous build and if memory serves me right you need to leave the radiator, front cross member and a few of the hoses off the engine and chassis. Just keep test fitting in the chassis as you go.
The chassis is a ladder frame with multiple cross members to add, take care to ensure its straight and square as you go, I normally glue it together and clamp it straight until the glue is dry, as discrepancies here will give an odd lean to your model. I have seen builders drill out all the holes in the chassis, as they are on the real vehicle, the holes are engraved marks on the kit parts, I would be wary of drilling so many holes in the plastic as this may make the chassis weak. Rear suspension is the Iveco 4 bag air option and is detailed with anti-roll bars and dampers. The back axle is also installed at this stage and includes detailed disc brakes and brake chambers, at the front the axle sits on parabolic springs, again all anti-roll bars and dampers are also included. The front axle can be made to steer with careful use of glue, and by using a hot screwdriver to mushroom the ends of the plastic pins. Should you want to build a Right Hand drive truck you will need to swap parts A71, and A74 to the opposite side, and the steering box will need relocating to the Right chassis rail. MG Mouldings do a nice resin conversion set that will supply the corrected chassis and cab parts.
The rest of the chassis parts can be added to complete the Euro5 specification truck, if you are building a particular truck check your reference pictures as some chassis layouts differ, should you want some additional detail on the chassis this can be added using wire to simulate the various lines and cables that run through a trucks chassis, again have a look online or at the vehicle you are building for assistance here.

stralis_bedford%20026.JPG

The cab interior is built next, unfortunately it isn’t possible to construct the exterior shell, paint and slide the interior after as many builders like to. The cab is the high ‘Active Space Cab’ that gives the driver a big spacious cab for life on the road. The detail on the parts is nice and well done, and gives scope for a highly detailed build again should you want a Right hand drive the dash would be very hard to chop with its angled ergonomic design so I would recommend a resin conversion here. Again look at reference and walk around shots to help painting the cab inside, the instructions recommend a mix of Greys and blacks but the trim options vary, and of course some drives add custom trim! Decals are included for the seat and bunk trim in a bright blue with white flashes, it looks a bit glossy and bright to me but maybe a cat of matt varnish would tone it down.

stralis_bedford%20024.JPG

stralis_bedford%20025.JPG

The cab shell comes moulded in a blue, it looks to have some metallic flecks in the plastic, now I wish they would mould all cabs in white to make it easier to paint with my choice of livery, the parts are well moulded and capture the high cab well, it includes the aerodynamic roof spoiler and cab side deflectors and these help give the cab a big high look as per the real truck. A pair of chassis side skirts are also included, but can be left off if not needed. The front bumper and lower steps are also on this sprue and they also capture the trucks look well.

stralis_bedford%20029.JPG

The clear sprue has the cab windows and all lights for the truck, the lamps have good detail of the lens and shapes of the large headlamp units are well done, the sprue was packaged in its own bag within the box to help avoid scratches. The clear plastic isn’t too thick to look out of scale and there was no damage to the review kit, but I have an Italeri boxing in the stash and the windscreen had some flaws in so check your kit before it goes into the stash!

stralis_bedford%20027.JPG

stralis_bedford%20028.JPG

The wheels and tyres will be very familiar to anyone who has built an Italeri or Revell truck they are the generic wheel and tyre sprue, the tyres are a nice realistic rubber with sidewall and tread detail, a rub with some sandpaper give a realistic worn effect. The wheels are OK, but it would be nice to have some more realistic Iveco hubs front and back.

stralis_bedford%20030.JPG

The decal sheet comes with some decals for the seat and bunk trim, its a bit bright to me, and too glossy so Id tone it down with some matt varnish. Various badges including some optional power and models are included. There is a wide selection of registration plates, and some dealer style ‘IVECO’ plates. To me the UK registration plates are wrong, the font looks wrong and the age identifier is 42? Some chrome sliver decals for the cab and side skirts are included, they look like a dealer or demonstrator livery but I can’t find anything on the web to confirm this.
Conclusion
This is a very nice kit, having built one the fit is excellent, and gives a well detailed truck from the box. As the first completely new European truck for a while it was very welcome to see it in the shops.

A detailed walk around of the Stralis can be seen on Britmodeller here

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Great review, thank you !

1 week ago I bought Italeri's "facelifted" Stralis Hi-Way ref. 3899, the only difference being the front panel, radiator grill, front lights, dashboard and inner door panels.

I actually have a slight preference for the Revell boxing because of the colour of the "mechnical" sprues (grey on Revell, black on Italeri), IMHO easier to paint.

I own quite a few trucks from Italeri but it's obvious they upped their game with this Stralis truck, original or facelifted release. The level of detailing is really excellent, the fit very good, the rubber tires superb but I regret the wheel rims being of the same 20 years old type.

Now looking for these nice resin wheel rims and various details I once saw over the net.

yea, id take the shell of the Italeri as its white! A cracking kit, done one with a MG Mouldings Right Hand Drive conversion. Looking forward to seeing the Hi-way kit in the flesh (well plastic!)

I'm starting mine today, I was thinking of adding parts from my Active Space Cube boxing to my Hi-Way Euro 5 boxing to create a 8x4, something like this http://ets2.lt/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Iveco-Stralis-Hi-Way-8X4-v-1.0.jpg .

I'm also looking for resin parts, I saw a few brands and one looks to have quite a nice range, KFS. Do you know this brand ? How would you consider the quality of the casting ? Another brand you would recommend for truck pimping (no nude woman stickers or flashy stuff, just detailed brakes, cabin bits, fuel tanks, etc) ?

If you're after a white body, I can suggest an exchange : I'll be working primarily on my Hi-Way Euro 5 boxing and the Active Space Cube non facelifted boxing will serve as donor for mechanical parts, so my non facelifted white shell won't be used.

I know it's off topic but I can't wait for Italeri's new Actros. And now they're reissueing my favourite ones, the Mercedes SK range (loved the Powerliner).

I have a fair stash of Italeri kits, but thanks for the offer! If you combine both kit chassis parts you could do an 8x4 heavy hauler, Ive not seen an Iveco 8x4 tractor in the metal! I don't think Iveco do an 8x4 tractor, they will be a long 6x4 with an extra axle added and the tanks etc moved by another company

KFS is very very good, and high quality I have a lot of his stuff and all top quality!