Late starter - MB Tank Mk1 (Male)

More tanks definitely Blastvader! I had a Tadpole on the go that was much too far along to be eligible for the GB - have just posted a few shots on the armour RFI thread. The Airfix Mark 1 is a great kit for its day, have made a lot of them over the years, but it suffers from a bunch of well-documented inaccuracies. Good luck if you go ahead with it!

Well, opened the box and glued some bits together...

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

Now to get it all squared up...

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Bit of progress, small snag, no big deal. My hull pieces weren't warped but they were bowed inwards, so I decided to assemble them around one hull half, then trap the whole hull assembly with the other half, using the moulded guide rails on the inner face to keep the correct shape. (I think that explains it...) Anyway, all went well, taped it up, and it looked okay when the tape came off, but when it came to locating the cabin front assembly, it sat way too high and there was a big gap. Turns out I'd glued the mating faces of the hull top and the glacis plate slightly too high, causing the mismatch. So one to watch if anyone's assembling one of these – this is quite an important joint and one which I found to have quite an ambiguous location. Anyway, a bit of judicious sanding made the gap a bit smaller and a smear of squadron green eliminated the eventual hole. Don't think it'll show in the finished model – hopefully!

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

• Like 1

Small update, all more or less buttoned up apart from final assembly, gap fixed successfully (I think) and the whole thing given a splosh of Humbrol 66, as good a base coat as any for the camouflage, which I'm looking forward to tackling. I'm going to take a slightly forensic approach to this, so it might work, might not... Sorry for rotten shot, but as I say, just a placeholder before we get to the camo.

DSC00350.jpg

On a related matter, mention of the old Airfix Mk1 found me nostalgia - dabbling on ebay a few nights ago, so this arrived recently...

DSC00309.jpg

Proper red-stripe original, unstarted in original bag. But look what 40-odd years of being in close proximity to the toxic track material has done to the styrene!

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

I'm all for heavy weathering - but melted trackprints? Eek.

• Like 1

Small update – the route I'm taking with the camouflage comes from an account on the excellent Landships 2 website of Solomon Solomon's experiments at Bovingdon in 1916. There is mention of Solomon's first attempts being inspired by the landscape that the tanks were being sent into. There are no photos, alas - apart from a possible shot which is too bleached and faded to show anything clearly – but a short description is quoted which describes 'a rather jolly landscape in green against a pink sunset sky'. Apparently Solomon's research was based on descriptions of the countryside of the Somme area before the war, and upon arrival in a very different trench environment, the now inappropriate jolly landscape camouflage was field-modified with a less representational and more fractured disruption pattern. The mention of a pink sky is intriguing, I'd surmise that the intent would have been a dawn sky rather than a sunset, as assaults usually commenced at dawn (Please let me know if this is a wild assumption – I'm prone to them) but that's academic and has no bearing on the look of the thing. So I figured that I'd start out with a jolly landscape, complete with pink patches...

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

And a period piece...

DSC00387b.jpg

I'll do a bit more work on this, then apply the "field alterations" on top.

• Like 1

Coming on a bit more now - tracks and steering grear on and abstract disruptive camouflage overpainting applied. The remorsless cyclops of digital macro shows up those ragged demarcation lines! But after all, I'm working under field conditions here. Washes and weathering will pull this all together. Honestly.

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

What a fantastic creation :)

I really do hesitate to say this, but the way that you built up the camo scheme reminded me very much of a Rolf Harris painting - ' Can you tell what it is yet?'

Great stuff

Cliff

• Like 1

Small update - think I'm on the finishing straight now. Just layers of wash and drybrush to build up the finish

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

think I need to address the aggressively rusty tracks with some steel highlights but apart from that it looks like I might actually finish a GB on time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this one finished, I think. Didn't go quite to plan, and I'm not 100% happy with the results, but overall I think it has its good points. Final washes and metallic drybrushing on the tracks. The front towing bracket pinged off into orbit at the last knockings and I've just noticed that I've forgotten the headlights (Headlights?) oh well - it still looks a bit like a tank.

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

Couple more photos in the gallery. Would just like to add that I've really enjoyed both participating in and following this timely and appropriate group build, and never fail to be impressed with other members' thoughtfulness and encouragement, let alone their outstanding modelling skills and vast resources of knowledge. Thanks to the organisers and all who have taken part. Cheers, dave.

• Like 2

For all it didn't go to plan that's really not a bad result at all and the B&W shot is very atmospheric.....The concept of your weathering is really very good indeed, but I think you may have placed a just little too much reliance on dry-brushing in its execution! :winkgrin: