USS Chevalier

Shar2

Although I did actually get the hi-vis decals for this before the end of the Korean War group build, life kept getting in the way, preventing me finishing it in time. So here she is, complete. It's the Dragon kit slightly modified to fit with her Korean war modifications and I used the Eduard etch set for the Gearing Class. I hope you like it,.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin6.jpg

• Like 30

Excellent work on your DD. I know by experience these aren't the quickest or easiest kits to put together. You did it justice, very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Nice model. Interestingly, I read somewhere that the USN didn't consider the Sumner's and Gearings as successful as the Fletchers, something to do with them being less stable, if I remember right.

Also it is an interesting comparison to the Royal Navy's L/M class destroyers, which was an attempt to make a destroyer with a six gun dual purpose armament. However the Gearings were about 700 tons heavier, which meant they could accommodate the heavy DP mounts and a decent number of Bofors guns. The Royal Navy's designers had a lot of trouble coming up with a mount for the 4.7inch gun that was fully enclosed and able to elevate up to about 80 degrees, so the mount ended up only elevating to 50 degrees. However, the mark of 4.7 inch gun that they used was probably the best gun mounted on a WW2 destroyer, it fired a 62pd shell at a high-ish velocity and It terms of anti ship capability it was more potent than the US destroyers.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The beautiful lines of this typical US Destroyer are captured completely by the builder.

I hope that we will see this type of ships after the FRAM modernisation Program (1/350)

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

• 2 months later...