Airfix 72nd scale dH-88 Comet. New release, ancient molding

geedubelyer

Hello all,

This is a bit of a whistlestop drive by to post a couple of pics before I have to go out but I'll be back later to edit this post and add appropriate thankyou's as well as a brief description of the latest work.

Back soon but in the mean time,...........she's got legs!

tn_Comet319_zps00e6899f.jpg

tn_Comet323_zpsd8532c02.jpg

Cheers

• Like 6

Like all the bits and bobs too. Subtle and fiddly as they are they add to the detail and realism.

Hi Tomoshenko, thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated. I find myself following the lead of others on BM and end up going the extra mile so I think I have everyone else to thank for that. I do agree though, sometimes the most subtle of details is what can make a difference.

I think the canopy looks excellent Guy. I'm intrigued that you got no distortions from brushing Klear only along the decal strips. Feels counterintuitive to me - but I'll remember it :)

Hi Steve and thanks for the kind words, muchos gracias amigo. I suspect my photos conspire to make the model look better than it actually does but hey, I'm not knocking it. It's all smoke and mirrors.

As for the decal strips, I did have a mini mishap with one of the longitudinal frames on the canopy when I stuck my thumb on it whilst manipulating the model to work on the gear. I discovered that I'd moved one of the canopy frames. Luckily, another drizzle of Klear and the decal settled back into position. Time will tell how durable this technique is. If I notice any issues I'll be sure to alert everyone.

Looking great not far from the end now.

Whats next?

Roger

Hi Roger, it does seem as though I'm nearing the end but it has crept up on me. You know how you eat an elephant one bite at a time? Well I think I've just got the tip of the trunk left. As for what's next, good question. There are three current options.

1, a 1/32nd scale Revell Spitfire MkIIa. I've followed a number of on-line builds intently and watched as folk have used any number of mods and techniques to turn out some real gems. I've long wanted an early Spit in my cabinet and have waited in vane for Tamiya to release one in their range. Perhaps with a bit of work I might get something passable from the new Revell offering.

2, an Airfix EE Lightning F2a in 1/72nd scale. I bought one a few months ago and it fits right in with my "Icons of British Fighter Aviation" theme. In BMF it is a lovely looking aircraft, especially with that nice blue fin.

3, a 1/72 nd scale Hunter. Inspired by Tomoshenko's current build I'd need to buy one but it's such a beautiful aircraft that I'd like one in my cabinet at some point. Also, it would cover the '50s in that whole icons thing again.

Decisions, decisions.......

Hello Stix, good to see you. Thoroughly enjoying your Spit builds. Thanks for the encouragement here, much appreciated.

PS I bet they will do a new mould now, if they don't burn the original up with their laser thingy first...

Regards,

Adrian

Lol. Now I'm picturing Goldfinger and 007. "No, no Mr Bond, I expect you to die..."

Ooh, would n't that be a treat though Adrian? We can only keep our fingers crossed.

Hello Griffter, glad you like it. Thanks for taking the time to drop by and add your kind thoughts.

Hi Work In Progress, that's high praise indeed. Many thanks and I'm thrilled you like it so much, cheers.

You're on the home straight now!

Hi Alpha Delta 210, thanks for the generous words. Much of the attention to detail stems from having good reference material and much of my reference material is those beautiful images you shared over in Aviation Photography. Once again, many thanks for taking the time to do that.

As far as I can tell, just the tail skid and pitot to do. I'll need to tidy the painting on the wheels up a bit but that's about it. Should have pics in RFI soon.

I know I seem to be constantly saying thank you to everyone but I mean every word. The support and encouragement shown by everyone is beyond mere words and really keeps the motivation levels high. You guys are the tops.

Cheers for now.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Hi Bill, hi Col., good to see you both. I'm chuffed that you guys have enjoyed seeing this model come together. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and support.

After the last update I remembered that I'd yet to do the mudguards so set about that little job this evening.

The kit parts are fairly basic. You can see them on this shot of the gear sprue that I posted earlier. (#21/22)

tn_Comet153_zps3a0ae80e.jpg

Instead of adapting the plastic parts I opted for using some metal foil.

tn_Comet326_zps926f1c53.jpg

I cut a template and tested it before commiting to the actual parts. It seemed easiest to wrap the foil around a suitably sized rod or tube as this gave the correct shape.

Once I was happy with the look I primed them, splashed some red over them and glossed them before glueing them in place.

Nextly ( :huh: I think i just made up a new word) I attended to the tail skid and a teeny, tiny doohicky on the underside of the nose before fixing the pitot to the wing and calling her done!

tn_Comet333_zps01799a45.jpg

:partytime:

Next time the sun shines in Lincolnshire I'll take some pics with the better camera and post them up in RFI. Until then, congratulations to those with the endurance and fortitude that stayed the course. It has been brilliant to have so much moral support along the way and has made what could have been a chore, a real pleasure.

Cheers for now.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 7

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, and the finished article is well worth all of the effort you went to during the build.

As I said earlier in your thread, it's amazing how stunning an old and outdated kit can be when in the hands of a very skilled modeller such as yourself.

Congratulations on a stunning Comet - it's one of the most graceful aircraft ever to fly in my eyes and I very much hope to see your finished article on the show circuit one day - you've certainly done the real aircraft justice.

Bravo!

Tom

• Like 1

Oh, ooh, suddenly you've finished. Hopefully the first time you've heard that phrase. Sorry, about the model, a grand finish as well and the rather matter-of-fact way you describe making the mudguards caught me by surprise there.

• Like 1

If ever the phrase containing reference to silk purses could be seen as a massive understatement, this project would be it!! Absolutely amazing. Brilliant - well done!

• Like 1

.... it's one of the most graceful aircraft ever to fly in my eyes

Tom

Thanks for the kind words Tom.I could n't agree more. I've made it a mini ambition to see her in the air next year if possible.

Oh, ooh, suddenly you've finished. Hopefully the first time you've heard that phrase.

Lol. Ahem, sadly not Col., but the less said about that the better.... :whistle: Glad you enjoyed the build.

So to everyone else, Trevor, Bill, Steve, Alpha Delta 210, Shane, Stix, Winenut, JamesG, hendie, Tomoshenko and Ray, it's impossible to convey my gratitude to you guys for all of the encouragement and support now and throughout the build. You mob are the best. Thanks again.

Now that she's done I've posted a few "glamour" pics over in RFI. Have a peek here if you're interested:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972598-airfix-72nd-scale-dh88-comet-racer-grosvenor-house/

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1

Fantastic build of a beautiful aircraft. The finish is perfect.

Right up with my favourite three WIP/RFI's for the last couple of years (for info the other couple in my top three were the fella making the Airfix Chippie in the FSS colours and the Honda CB750 built as a real worn out machine with different side panels etc).

I really like the way you have carried out the mods and explained them in a way that even a fat fingered fella such as I may have the confidence to have a crack at them.

(Unlike the complete fudge I am enduring building/improving...possibly... a Matchbox Lysander at the moment !!)

Thank you

• Like 1