1/72 Eduard Nieuport 17, A313/"5", 1 Squadron RFC, Lt. A W Wood

Just caught up with this one. Is there a way to join the Procopius fan club? Receive updates on the latest builds and sophisticated joke of the day by text, email or IM?

Another winner Procopius! I don't know how you keep the quality so high and build so quickly at the same time.

My secret is definitely the fact that I don't keep the quality very high at all. For instance, I really half-cheeked the wheels, because I was literally too lazy to be bothered with using the masks supplied in the kit.

Additionally, I decided, in a fit of madness, to try and grow a beard, and my wife has told me...well, perhaps you don't need to know exactly what she said, but the gist of it is that I have a little extra time to myself to build models until it's gone.

• Like 1

Alas, Eduard have emailed me back to let me know they have no plans to issue an RFC boxing of this kit. The way is clear for any enterprising aftermarket decal manufacturer.

Alas, Eduard have emailed me back to let me know they have no plans to issue an RFC boxing of this kit. The way is clear for any enterprising aftermarket decal manufacturer.

Ah, PC, I feel your pain :fraidnot:

And no consolation from Mrs PC until you lose your embryonic beard :huh:

*shakes head sadly*

Cheers,

Stew

Truly life is more difficult than it ought to be.

I am actually upset by this out of all proportion. I will never say that there are too many Spitfire models -- in fact I'll strike the man who does, I might even grab the nearest heftable object to aid me in this -- but really, for WWI, unless you're building the Bad Guy Brigade, there's almost nothing at all in 1/72 aftermarket decals; Pheon does their SE5a sheet and a Pup sheet, both of which I have, and another OOP sheet on the Sopwith Triplane, but frankly of these, only the SE5a and very very recently the Pup have modern kits, and neither of them is an easy build. The Eduard Nieuports are the best choice for someone who wants to have a fairly pleasant and uncomplicated build of a WWI subject and rant rant rant rant

How much does it cost to fund a print run of decals, anyway? This seems a suitable subject for Kickstarter, or something.

Still no final photos, because by the time I'm home there's no natural light. A pity I'm such a poor photographer, because this poor effort is probably one of the best-looking kits I've ever slapped together. If anyone is contemplating a WWI biplane, I really can't recommend the kit enough; it's easy, it's fun, and it looks pretty good built up. I didn't even try very hard, and I'm not very good, and it came out well for, so imagine what you, gentle reader, might accomplish.

I'd imagine the cost of producing a set of decals varies according to the quality you desire but possibly the bulk of the expense would be in designing the sheet, researching the schemes, deciding what the colours actually were (and this especially in the case of monochrome photographs) and correctly scaling everything so that when printed they would be the right size to use on the kit... if you were really serious in your query above, rather than merely musing aloud, you could ask Jennings Heilig on this forum who might be able to provide some more useful advice than this :shrug:

I am very much looking forward to seeing those photos too :D

Cheers.

Stew

Very nicely done, PC!

I might have to add this kit to my already hefty WWI stash.... another sigh - seem to be a lot of those on this build....

Ian

• Like 1

The temptation, with a tiny biplane in one's mitt, to play King Kong, would be well-nigh overwhelming if I didn't remember how much time I've spent on this. Also, I've discovered your "The Sweeney" on youtube. I had no idea grandfatherly old Inspector Morse was into such rough stuff!

Awwwwsum (if I might be permitted a Brit stab at an Americanism :))

She is tiny. Oh for young eyes........

The temptation, with a tiny biplane in one's mitt, to play King Kong, would be well-nigh overwhelming if I didn't remember how much time I've spent on this. Also, I've discovered your "The Sweeney" on youtube. I had no idea grandfatherly old Inspector Morse was into such rough stuff!

Oh yes. The Sweeney with their 1970's Fords - the cars of my childhood. And come to think about it - 1970's Fords (and early 1970's at that) were all I could afford when I first started driving in the 80's........ :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Awwwwsum (if I might be permitted a Brit stab at an Americanism :))

Ah, but here in the midwest, where our accents are flat and nasal, we say it ahw-sim. I confess, to my shame, that I do say it at work, but I alternate with "splendid" to keep 'em guessing.