1:32 Wingnut WIngs AMC DH2

Well I eventually ran out of distractions to keep me away from the rigging and so it has started... First is the tail boom...

DSC_2008.JPG

DSC_2009.JPG

DSC_2011.JPG

DSC_2012.JPG

I've started on the wing bracing wires - bloody hell its not easy!!

• Like 4

Whats REALLY frustrating is when the rigging wire sticks to ANYTHING but what its supposed to!!! Tweezers, struts, ITSELF... anything but the place its supposed to attach to!!! GRRRRR!!!!

Well I completed the rigging last night at last but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the overall result. Its my first time doing it however so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself - next time I'll definitely use Bob's Buckles or some from Gaspatch as I reckon not on do they look a lot better at this scale (See Grant's Fe2b here as a case in point: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969287-132nd-wingnuts-fe2b-wing-cockpit-figures/) but I reckon it would make it easier to fix the rigging. I've got a couple of places that are quite messy IMO where I had problems getting the cyano to hold the thread. Thankfully most of these are on the underwing surface so not immediately visible, but there are enough bad joints to be noticeable.

I'll post up some photos later, but now its onto the final weathering and touching up.

Been having a bit of a nightmare with the prop - I've tried painting it to look like wood and that didn't work well. before that I'd tried to use the wood grain decals but they looked awful, but I'm having another go at that now to try to get something that looks like it has some wood grain...

Whats REALLY frustrating is when the rigging wire sticks to ANYTHING but what its supposed to!!! Tweezers, struts, ITSELF... anything but the place its supposed to attach to!!! GRRRRR!!!!

Ain't that the truth!!

Having just used the Gaspatch turnbuckles, I still think just using thread is still the best way, even in 1/32, for most of the rigging. Turnbuckls are OK for certain

applications but looking at photos you can barely see most of the end fitting details. What I really want to do is figure a way to do the little binding patch at the cross overs and the horizontal bars you see on some aircraft.

I am impressed with the speed you put this one together with and got such a clean finish. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

cheers

Grant

So I am very pleased to say that this is now complete! The kit was lovely to build but the rigging was a pain. I know for sure that next time I do something like this I'll be using turnbuckles as I really believe it will make it easier. So here goes with some pics (I borrowed the base form my old Spitfire IX build form some years ago to do the photos as I haven't got round to doing a base for this yet)

DSC_2015.JPG

DSC_2017.JPG

DSC_2018.JPG

DSC_2019.JPG

DSC_2020.JPG

DSC_2021.JPG

DSC_2023.JPG

DSC_2024.JPG

I'll post the best pics in the gallery as well...

This is my final entry in this GB - I've had a lot of fun taking part so thanks to everyone for running it an supporting it!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

Kallisti, next time you pull off a masterpiece like this, DON'T use turnbuckles as you have alluded to earlier on. All RFC/RAF aircraft used RAF wire for their rigging (as in bracing wires, landing wires etc but not the control wires). As such they used very different terminals and not turnbuckles

• 4 weeks later...