1:32 Wingnut WIngs AMC DH2

Yesterday was IPMS Farnborough's annual show, aka Modelfest.While trying to avoid spending too much money, I was succeeding pretty well UNTIL I saw this for a reasonable price:

DSC_1929.JPG

and that was it! To be brutally honest, I'd got bored with my other aircraft build for this GB - the Sopwith Camel as the kit wasn't very good - the moulds appeared to be misaligned as there were mould lines on almost every part and I frankly just got tired of it, hence why I'd started the Dambuster Lancaster build for the Bomber Command GB. However on bringing this home yesterday, I decided the Lancaster can wait a bit so I can start this!!!

So without further ado, here is the box contents:

DSC_1930.JPG

I've already sprayed primer on all the parts on the sprues and there are some pieces missing as I'd started construction before remembering to take photos! This is my first WnW kit and I am mighty impressed with the instructions - very colourful, instructive and informative. Lots of photos of the real thing to point out details, very nice job.

Looking forward to building this one!!

Tally ho!

• Like 2

A great looking aircraft, but not "the rigging-est aircraft of all time". I'd suggest two WWI trainers, the Bristol Boxkite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Boxkite), or Maurice Farman "Longhorn" (http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/preww2/n5055.html) would be worse

Back on topic, I'm going to watch this build with interest (I have the Eduard kit in my stash)

Edited by Robert Stuart

ahhh now that is something I hadn't thought of - I've already come across a bit of a puzzler at the back end of the cockpit... wow just found the link and its bloody awesome, cheers for the pointer!

So there has been progress - I meant to photograph the cockpit before I closed it up completely but forgot.. .doh! so here are some photos anyway:

DSC_1931.JPG

DSC_1933.JPG

DSC_1935.JPG

DSC_1937.JPG

DSC_1938.JPG

It went together pretty well, no major fit problems, and the rigging starts here with the internal panel rigging you can see on either side of the cockpit. There is some rigging on the back around the engine bay but it wasn't very clear but the Bob's Buckles link sorts that out for me! Proper job!

Work has now started on the engine...

Edited by Kallisti

Spent some time on detailing the engine last night. Previously, the cylinder block had been assembled - I hate it when they split these things in half - you get a joint line down the middle intersecting EVERY SINGLE moulded ridge and furrow which makes it a nightmare to finish well!

Anyway, the instructions include photos of both restored and historical aircraft and one detail I noticed was the spark plug leads, so I HAD to add them:

DSC_1942.JPG

This was some very fine copper wire wrapped half a dozen times around a needle and then another loop around the sharp end of the needle to get the loop onto the spark plug. Then a fine hole drilled into the collar and job done! I'd previously give this a good coat of MiG Oil and Grease wash which gives it a nice gummy brownish look, which you can see a bit here:

DSC_1943.JPG

What you can also see on the right are the rocker arms being prepared. These have been painted with a combination of XF 16 aluminium XF 56 metallic grey and x-10 gun metal, then give a black oil wash to pick out some of the detail, particularly around the springs. you can see them again in this last photo:

DSC_1944.JPG

Looking good, but the plug leads shouldn't be anywhere near that obvious, they were normally just straight wires, and if they were coiled, the coils were very small.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/pc777/Sundry/Gnome_01_s.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

There is a photo in the instructions which shows spark plugg leads coiled like this:

DSC_1963.JPG

so I maybe didn't coil it tightly enough but its there as a representation - this is a model not the real thing :)

Both your photo and the ones above are modern restorations, I've looked for a period image but can't find one yet, so I'll stick to what I think makes the engine look more interesting.

• Like 1

Bit more progress on the construction, wings and tail booms added - I've also filled the cockpit with tissue in prep for painting, similarly the engine has been covered...

DSC_1949.JPG

DSC_1950.JPG

Since then paint has been added and things have progressed a bit further, more photos to follow eventually.

So this brings the initial "simple" assembly to a close and with an initial coat of paint and some decaling done:

DSC_1976.JPG

DSC_1977.JPG

I'll nexdt need to put the roundels on and then comes the fun of rigging eek!

• Like 1