Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer - 1/144 Vacform

Murdo

As I was finishing the Avro York and waiting for the paint to dry I was encouraged enough by my reasonable success with the York to start on another vacform kit.

This one is from Welsh Models: The Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer - 1/144 Vacform.

The "instructions":

IMG_4156_zpsbe28a57a.jpg

The "Kit":

IMG_4165_zps1b7336b6.jpg

My old Mob, the "Queen's Own Highlanders" (long before I served) were involved in quelling the Brunei Rebellion around 1962 and were moved around in Beverleys and Twin Pins so I'm going to try and depict a plane similar to what they would have been in. The one I'm going for will be XM961 which is now in the National Museum of Flight near Edinburgh.

I'm looking at doing this colour scheme:

Pioneer-001_zpsb822e79b.png

I built an internal cockpit for this one too and added seats in the fuselage then forgot to take photos before I glued the fuselage together so I'm a bit pee'd off with myself because I thought it looked the dogs danglies. Maybe once the thing is painted and I knock the painted over glue windows out I might get some closeups to see if anything can be seen.

Anyway, here's the current build state:

IMG_4766_zpsd95389c3.jpg

IMG_4768_zps105da8d2.jpg

IMG_4767_zpsc0ae9ea5.jpg

IMG_4769_zpsbf8b5eef.jpg

A very interesting and nice vacform to build so far.

• Like 5

Hi Murdo,

that's a good start, nice work. There is a photo of a twin-pin in RAF grey/green camouflage (most were white/dayglo red), operating out of Kuching HERE (halfway down the thread).

We were also supported by Whirlwinds and Wessex I's, which were also operating from Kuching. plus in their FOB at Nanga Gaat.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Damn you Sir. I have often thought about trying a vacform, and thought this would have been a fine introduction as, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea even of how to cut the parts out! That said, looking very fine, and I will be watching this with interest.

Murdo, I hope that you'll forgive this slight thread hijack. Cutting vac parts out is quite simple. Here's a short tutorial I wrote a while ago on how to do canopies. You can use the exact same technique for all vac parts. The trick is to use a brand new blade and don't cut fully through the plastic.

Sometimes I spray the entire sheet with primer grey. This allows me to see exactly how much plastic to sand away.

Now you see it

airliner_gb_32.jpg

Now you don't

airliner_gb_33.jpg

Murdo, I hope that you'll forgive this slight thread hijack. Cutting vac parts out is quite simple. Here's a short tutorial I wrote a while ago on how to do canopies. You can use the exact same technique for all vac parts. The trick is to use a brand new blade and don't cut fully through the plastic.

Sometimes I spray the entire sheet with primer grey. This allows me to see exactly how much plastic to sand away.

Now you see it

airliner_gb_32.jpg

Now you don't

airliner_gb_33.jpg

Hijack away Jessica, it's good to get your expertise.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

• 1 month later...