1/144 Avro York - Formaplane Vacform

Murdo

Well, I'm now extremely happy to proudly post some pics of my first ever finished vacform.

:yahoo:

It was great fun and very challenging.

I need to get some more modelling tools (and some serious new skills) such as Mr Surfacer or some such decent surface filler as I had real problems getting the fuselage and wings straight and smooth. I think the fuselage also has a slight twist to it. The plastic was soft and very thin. Next time I'll use bulkheads and runners to firm the fuselage up.

It's a pity the cockpit can't be seen after building it. It's not a very big model but I wish I'd had the courage to cut open the cargo doors and added more of an interior..

This was a major change to my normal modelling attemps and gave me some insights into how to build vacforms in future... And there will be more of them!

Here's the link to the build thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965853-1144-avro-york-formaplane-vacform/

And here's the beastie itself:

May I humbly present: Avro York MW288 of 206 Sqn as she took part in the Belin Airlift.

IMG_4755_zpsae4c27cd.jpg

IMG_4762_zps50b6d276.jpg

IMG_4757_zps4f29af5d.jpg

IMG_4759_zps3c6c2c85.jpg

IMG_4757_zps4f29af5d.jpg

IMG_4753_zps5af6eff1.jpg

IMG_4749_zps113a1d92.jpg

IMG_4752_zps7b159c43.jpg

And next to a 1/72 Hurricane to give an idea of size:

IMG_4765_zps49e9c715.jpg

So, that's my first vacform built and I enjoyed it - most of the time. I'll shamefully admit there was the odd wee occasion when I wanted to give in to frustration and just throw it (hard) in the bin.

However, I enjoyed building it so much I've already started another vacform plane. This time it's a Welsh Models 1/144 Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer. I'll start a build thread on it tonight.

I hope you like the York.

• Like 14

Excellent York! Now I have to put in my obligatory wish for Airfix to do one in 1/72nd scale (injection-moulded, of course, for people like me who are too lazy for vacuform).

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I have done a few vacuforms myself, but it's the sanding out the parts that gets me.

:goodjob:

I recently finished the Welsh Models vac/resin version in BOAC colours and that was tricky enough even without the internal details so respect from me for getting such a great result from a much more difficult kit.

There is something endearing about the York. It was such a strange looking machine but highly successful and well liked by the crews. I intend to do another one in Skyways colours eventually but I'll stick to the Welsh kit.

Great result! I bet if you hadn't said it was vacform, most people would not have known.

Like Tom says, there is an extra level of satisfaction form completing a vacform. Plus it opens up a whole load of extra subjects that injection moulded doesn't offer.

Cheers

John