Vulcan last flight (potentially) 25th Sept

zipper

The Vulcan will be making potentially a last flight on Thursday 25th Sept. it will be up about 1400 from Doncaster Airport going past Coningsby, Marham, Honington, Wittering and a few others which I can't remember as had an email about it in work.

Just thought I'd give people the heads up.

Wish they could solve the problem by fitting it with conways like some other vulcans were. Xh558 being an early vulcan I'd imagine a good candidate as she should be built inside similar to the others id expect

rob i was speaking to the guys at the ayr airshow and they cant fit any other engines than what they got as they said there isnt any research how the airframe would be like with different engines ,and couldnt risk it plus i imagine the CAA wouldnt be happy ..

• Like 1

Wish they could solve the problem by fitting it with conways like some other vulcans were. Xh558 being an early vulcan I'd imagine a good candidate as she should be built inside similar to the others id expect

Intersting, were they fitted with conways in service?

• Like 1

rob i was speaking to the guys at the ayr airshow and they cant fit any other engines than what they got as they said there isnt any research how the airframe would be like with different engines ,and couldnt risk it plus i imagine the CAA wouldnt be happy ..

Intersting, were they fitted with conways in service?

I am not surprised the CAA don't like it. Yes some Vuclans early ones of the B2 and B1 variety were used exclusively by B SQN of A&AEE to do perform a rold of testing various engines and equipment as trials aircraft. some never serving as bombers as such.

I can't remember it all off hand but a few were fitted with differing engines. some changed a few times.

Vulcan B1 XA902 had Conways

Vulcan B1 XA891 had B2 Olympus 200 engines giving her a very good performance at a Farnborough airshow when compared to a White B1 with the normal Oly 101/2/3/4 Variety XH4??

Vulcan 698 VX770 Initially was fitted with Avon's and later Sapphire engines I think VX777 was the first fitted with Olympus but she may well have had Sapphires first IIRC

Vulcan XH533 B2 Was fitted with Olympus 6 development engines or 200 engines that were slightly less powerful than the 201 and 202

I am sure she was also fitted with other engines as she was used exclusively as a Trials machine and never entered bomber service. I think she had Sapphires too possibly Spey's

There were other test machines too Some entered service with the RAF such as XH534, 536,537,

I remember reading that it was easy to swap engines on the B1 and Early B2s even if they had large or small intakes. I was told the structure were the engines are internally was the same for 200 series B2 and 100 Series B1s hence why they kept trying stuff out with them.

But the Mod to the 301 engines was very expensive and difficult. XH557 was the first to have the large intakes but was originally fitted with Olympus 200 series and then modified extensively inside to have the 300s for which it became the trial machine with XL391 becoming the first built with 300s from new.

I believe there was a plan to upgrade all to 300s eventually but with skybolt being scrapped it was not seen to be worth doing. That's what I was told.

XH558 was a Early Vulcan B2 all the XH serial Vulcans would originally have been B1s but they were rebuild or built on the production line to B2 spec. For example The last Vulcan B1 was XH532 but it was build after B2 XH533 which was rushed into service as she was seen as so important. The B1 and B2 Vulcans as I understand it were only ever seen as a temporary stopgap for the Vulcan B3 which was in development.

Again as I was told. I have read alot on this but over the years I have met and spoke to many souls who were involved in it but sadly a lot of them are not with us anymore. There is a lot of the history going un recorded from the early days and it was all secret then XH558 might be 50 years old but you have to be in your 70s to remember the early days.

All interesting stuff I just thought if they have not got any Olympus left with all the VC-10s being scrapped there are plenty of Conways. However I know nowt about the dimensions or technicalities so its just me musing on the possibility.

Be good to see her fly even if we cant have the noise just to see the shape in the air is enough. Even though I am a noise fiend.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

The Vulcan was a no show at Southport today because of the weather but it is supposed to be there on Sunday instead according to the `tannoy man (with a silent `') ',......even though i wasn`t originally programmed to be. I hope that you have better weather if you attend and if you do pay special attention to the Mustang display,....otherwise you might spill yer coffee like the bloke from the tower in Top Gun!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

The Vulcan was a no show at Southport today because of the weather but it is supposed to be there on Sunday instead according to the `tannoy man (with a silent `') ',......even though i wasn`t originally programmed to be. I hope that you have better weather if you attend and if you do pay special attention to the Mustang display,....otherwise you might spill yer coffee like the bloke from the tower in Top Gun!

Cheers

Tony

Jumpin Jacques was the Mustang, and by half did it make you Jump! esp with that first pass (if they do it the same as yesterday).

Hope to see 558 today though :D

• Like 1

There are companies that re-condition or rebuild jet engines, for instance S&S Turbines, Canada (look for "AgentJayZ" and his excellent videos on youtube). I don't know why some of those "out of hours" Olympus Mk 200's can't be reconditioned? According to the company's website they work on Olympus engines. Lots critical components like combustion cans, compressor or turbine blades etc. can be reconditioned or replaced, or even fabricated if spares aren't around.

Is there a problem with certification? Perhaps the CAA doesn't certify re-conditioned jet engines?

Jeffrey

I was reading in Flypast recently that they were hoping to fly her into 2015. They've been making changes to the way they fly it to reduce fatigue, one example being that they cruise faster which helps for some reason. Do hope solutions are found. Where there's a will and a wallet, there's a way!

The engines have got enough life for 2015 and they've started the fund raising push for the winter service. They are monitoring the engines very closely to make the cycles last for as long as possible and they've changed the display routine to assist with engine life, because of this work there is a small possibility she'll be able to do the 2016 season as well.

The Olympus can be reconditioned, but there are no spares in quantity. VTTS said RR would need to re-tool to produce new parts.

The comment was if a Billionaire wants to step up to the plate, they will fly 558 indefinitely.

Well, S&S say on their website: "We offer to users a truly independent & economical alternative to OEM-performed heavy maintenance and overhaul facilities. By virtue of our extensive parts sourcing network which spans the globe, it is not uncommon for us to offer as much as a 60% reduction in overhaul costs, in comparison to OEM shops." And they have a custom casting service as well where they can make unavailable components such as turbine blades etc.

I hard to imagine VTTS haven't explored all options, but perhaps they really haven't and are only thinking about RR in terms of engine overhaul?

I've never seen the Vulcan in it's operational days and we certainly won't see a full-power display of those times ever again, but at least being able to do something like the 2008/9 displays would be nice, not constantly worrying about engine cycles...

J