Late start, two Tamiya 1/48 P-51 *FINISHED*

somnas

Hi all!

It's been a while since I posted a build on this forum and I just recently saw this group build. I also saw the D-day group build so I thought I build one Mustang for each, a Swedish one for this group and one from the invasion in the other.

Here's when I started out three days ago, with the 109 I have put aside while I finish the P-51's:

image101_zps70e0d4a3.jpg

And here's where I am with one of the kits as of late yesterday night, this kit comes together quickly!

image101_zpse9223dca.jpg

Even though this is my fastest build ever I think it will get tough to finish both of them in time for the finish line of these groups so I will focus on the one from the invasion which will be Fred Munder's "Skyczar" since that one qualifies for both groups.

/Erik

Edited by somnas
  • Like 1

When cleaning my airbrush before making the first alclad coats I spilled rubbing alcohol all over the model (the one time I didn't follow my rule to never clean the airbrush anywhere near the projects) so I ended up stripping all the paint off and started over.

Now it just looks like there's a black wash all over hehe!

image105_zps15df062e.jpg

Underside of wings painted in dull aluminium. All that's left now before I can start with the markings and weathering is top side of wings with dull aluminium and airframe aluminium on the black area in this picture.

image107_zps596dd7bb.jpg

Edited by somnas

Looking great somnas and you're certainly not hanging about! :thumbsup2:

That's exactly the same alclad combination that I used on mine and found that once I had put down a gloss coat for decaling and handled the airframe a bit the contrast between the two actually reduced. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Danny!

No progress has been good but the next few days I really need to study but I will still try to make slow progress.

Nice to hear about you using the same alclads! I looked up your build and noticed it was that very build I used as reference when waiting for my kit to arrive for how to build this kit. Good job, yours turned out great!

I will however not use a clear coat on the wings since I will paint all the markings.

Yes Les, definitely some weathering!

/Erik

The weekend is being a bit hectic with me turning 25 today but I managed to get 10 minutes on my own and finished the stripes on one wing and painted the white on the other.

/Erik

image110_zps5a3dba7d.jpg

Edited by somnas

The stripes turned out better than I thought, no paint in the white areas which I was worried about but I also used very used tape to minimize the risk.

The white color is "off white" from Gunze and it may look a bit creamy now but I think it will blend well with some weathering.

image111_zpsa5971721.jpg

Hi Eric

Just one question regarding the alclad.

Did you gloss varnish before decaling? I've read that varnish can take away the metallic finish of the alclad. I've also read that decals can silver quite badly on alclad?

Thanks

James

• Like 1

Hi Eric

Just one question regarding the alclad.

Did you gloss varnish before decaling? I've read that varnish can take away the metallic finish of the alclad. I've also read that decals can silver quite badly on alclad?

Thanks

James

The easy answer to that James is that I don't know. I've never done a job this big with alclad, I've only used it for details before (landing gears and such) so it will be a first for me to apply decals to this finish.

Regarding the varnish taking away some of the finish I can imagine that being the case with high polished finishes but when I applied it to some scrap pieces painted in the same paints I've used here you won't tell much of a difference. I can't see why the decals would silver on alclad since this finish is much smoother than my usual paint jobs. Anyway, we will see about it this weekend!

While waiting for the water to boil I thought I upload the progress of today. Did the OD anti glare and also the red on the nose and spinner. The different tones of red is because the spinner has already got itself a coat of future. I had also completely forgot about the stripes on the flaps so I did them as well.

image115_zps11161b9d.jpg

image116_zpseddd9960.jpg

• Like 1

All covered with X-22, now I will just have to add very few decals, final assembly and do the weathering and we are done. What I was most nervous about was the clear coat and that is looking good so I think I will be able to finish this in time!

Here we also see that the metallic finish will not be ruined by a clear coat, at least not by Tamiya X-22.

image117_zps2a3746aa.jpg

All the decals are in place and sealed. That was the plan for today but I couldn't help to start the weathering (my favorite part), just did a little on the OD, one of the landing gears and one of the exhaust stacks. I hope to be able to put this one in the gallery.

image118_zpsad9e42e4.jpg

Everything laid out for tomorrow.

image119_zps7554eb3a.jpg

/Erik