NAA F-86D Sabre Dog "Texas Terror" - RoG 1/48th

Gentlemen,

Frankly spoken, Sabres are my favourite jet aircraft with a particularly soft spot for the Sabre Dog variant. Accordingly, it was more than a happy event when both Monogram/ProModeler and Revell of Germany released a new-tool F-86D in 2001. Monogram released the earlier "round tail" version and Revell the later version featuring a distinctive parabrake housing introduced with the F-86D-45.

geiger_tiger_head_zps05f2b550.jpg

53-1001 in its 1956 livery when being deployed to Yuma AB for live fire training.

"Texas Terror" was the personal mount of Col. Grover Wilcox. Later in 1956 53-1001 was converted to an F-86L.

geiger_tiger5_zps17b4ad5a.jpg

The kit offers a wealth of finely recessed surface details and overall fit is outstanding, safeguarding an enjoyable build right out of the box. Nevertheless, I replaced the kit's cockpit with a Black Box office. IP and IP coaming came from an Eduard PE set.

geiger_tiger13_zps41303092.jpg

geiger_tiger4_zps7aff0ebb.jpg

The decals came from an Eagle Strike sheet. Item #48069.

geiger_tiger18_zpsf091a711.jpg

geiger_tiger14_zps65709ddf.jpg

In order to replicate the natural metal finish, I used three different shades of Alclad II: Duraluminium, Airframe Aluminium and Semi Matte Aluminium.

geiger_tiger15_zpsbed97598.jpg

In order to highlight individual panels and joints I used Gunze Smoke. The model was finished with a final coat of satin varnish "à la maison" consisting of Polly Scale flat varnish, TAMIYA X-20A thinner plus a whiff of Future floor finish at a (by approximation) 60:35:5 ratio.

geiger_tiger8_zps2c0f1833.jpg

Having another dozen of these kits in my stash, definitely not the last Sabre Dog taking off from my workbench.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Erik

• Like 27

The Sabre family is also one of my favourite breeds. They just look so simple and perfectly balanced, from a different era and so beautiful.

Early jets are a joy to look at and yours is no exception.

You have done a brillient job on the NMF - absolute perfection.

Very nice job. I've had this kit in the stash for years and yours makes me want to dig it out and get going on it.

FYI, your model has stirred up a bit of a hornets' nest over on Hyperscale:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1411516459/

You might be pleased to note that you have more defenders than detractors...

Cheers,

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, your model has stirred up a bit of a hornets' nest over on Hyperscale:

I am always leary of pointing out flaws. When I photograph mine, I immediately see problems I hadn't noticed. My Airfix F86D had dihedral on the tail planes for ten years before I noticed it-oops. We all here to admire and improve. What sounds like a gentle comment in a posters mind can come across as an all out attack. I have the skin of a rhino and regard all information as welcome, so what would be scathing to some, I probably wouldn't notice. I work for a living, I model for fun. If they had to match a photo, it would start to become work-to some. Besides, what would the What-if people do?

In the end, I love your model, and wish I had the patience to work on my photography. That plane was made for a Sharkmouth!

• 1 year later...