1:72 Airfix Dambuster Lancaster... "bomb gone"

Kallisti

So here is my entry for this GB. I know its "the same" as others are building, ie the Airifx dambuster Lanc but I hope to try to do something slightly different with it.

So lets start off with the basics, and the box shot:

DSC_1905.JPG

and the obligatory whatsit:

DSC_1906.JPG

the other doo-dah bits:

DSC_1907.JPG

DSC_1909.JPG

and finally the thingamies:

DSC_1921.JPG

So lets start off with the base:

DSC_1920.JPG

this is an old picture frame with an extra piece of chipboard attached underneath to give to more depth and greater ******** for when I ***** *** the ***** to ******* the ****** *****. Got that? Good :D

The edges have been smoothed off using some polyfilla I had around the house then painted with various artist acrylic paints, mainly a mix of Raw Umber and Burnt Sienna. I've ordered some sticky-backed green felt to put on the bottom.

More later...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

Looking forward to see how this one turns out! I've built a little more on my Lancaster and I really love the new Airfix kit. I only wish that someone could do a nice Rose turret for it. I want to do an ABC Lanc!

I like the whole idea with the frame and all. Very ambitious! :-)

• 2 months later...

... and I'm back!

Having got all the Telford stuff out of the way and now finally completing the Airfix 1:12 Christie Fire Engine, I'm returning to this build with 2.5 weeks to go - haha who do I think I'm kidding??? :)

Well one of those is the Christmas week and I've got 10 days off work int hat time so MAYBE there is a chance of completing!

Whatever happens, I'm going to give it a go and if I complete before Jan 4, then all well and good, if not, c'est la vie and I'll complete it anyway...

Tonight I've been reminding myself how far I'd got and started on the PE for the instrument panel for the cockpit....

Looking forward to see how this one turns out! I've built a little more on my Lancaster and I really love the new Airfix kit. I only wish that someone could do a nice Rose turret for it. I want to do an ABC Lanc!

I like the whole idea with the frame and all. Very ambitious! :-)

Andreas, here is your Rose turret, and ABC aerials too:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/paragon-designs-1-72-raf-100-group-lancaster-stirling-and-halifax.html

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Hmm it appears I haven't posted ANY progress photos since the first introductory post, so lets remedy that shall we?

First off, I got a couple of figures from PJ Productions, so the first one has been installed as the pilot:

DSC_1912.JPG

Now if you look closely in front and beneatht eh pilot you may notice soemthign funny happening, namely this:

DSC_1911.JPG

This all starts to become clear when you look at the underside...

DSC_1914.JPG

and then you discover this

DSC_1916.JPG

and finally it all resolves itself when you see this

DSC_1918.JPG

DSC_1919.JPG

Similarly there is also this

DSC_1915.JPG

which inside has this supporting it

DSC_1913.JPG

So all clear now? That was the progress I'd achieved before putting the build aside back in September. This week things got a bit more assembled:

DSC_2154.JPG

I've used the Eduard PE set for the cockpit

DSC_2157.JPG

There is more inside but I don't have pics of it here - I'll try again later. The fuselage took a bit of filler to get it to go together nicely but nothing that a bit of elbow grease couldn't handle. Thankfully there wasn't much surface detail to be lost! So the wings are now on:

DSC_2155.JPG

Remember the underside? ie

DSC_2156.JPG

Well, this evening the 10xx drill bit I ordered from eBay arrived and that meant the most critical part of the whole build can be attempted. This is the stage that will make or break this build so naturally there were some nerves involved! Thankfully, things worked out well and this was the result:

DSC_2163.JPG

So you can now begin so see where this particular thread of insanity is heading... especially when I show you this...

DSC_2164.JPG

DSC_2166.JPG

DSC_2167.JPG

So there you have it - I now have exactly 16 days to complete this, with Christmas and New Year as well. What the hell am I doing????????????? :D:banghead:

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4

Today I broke out the bathroom sealant. Going to try to make this work as well as my Sky 1 from last year... going to be a tricky ask I reckon!!!

DSC_2180.JPG

Sorry its a bit out of focus... the first layer has been put down so you can see the begging of the "splash" from the bouncing bomb :) Its now curing for the next 24 hours in the shed - there is an electric radiator in there to keep the place from being freezing cold. Next task will be to make the splash more realistic...

• Like 1

Another small update, assembly has essentially finished and painting has begin:

DSC_2184.JPG

Propblurred props!

DSC_2186.JPG

Black undersides over primer. I've made up my own mix for the black as I don't like using raw black on scale models. This is a mix of about 5 parts X-18 1 part x-7 red and 1 part XF 69 Nato black and has a nice reddish tinge to it and isn't fully matt nor fully gloss.

• Like 2

They are made by a company caled (funnily enough!) PropBlur (http://www.propblur.com/) - they are based in the US but are distributed in UK by 3D models:

http://www.3d-kits.co.uk/online-shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_18_34

They come in 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32 and come as 2, 2 or 4 bladed sets plus single blades as well. I've used them on several models now and are incredibly effective.

Edited by Kallisti

More progress - I think I may even complete this before the deadline!!!

Camo paint done:

DSC_2187.JPG

and then it was Klear'd and decal'd and Klear'd again...

DSC_2188.JPG

Sadly during this time, the canopy got broken - a really annoying snap down one side. I've repaired it but its still visible (you can see it in the full size version of the previous pic here http://www.mardona.org/gallery/d/17262-1/DSC_2188.JPG). I've sent off to Airfix for a replacement, but it won't get here in time so it'll have to be replaced at some point in the future. Its really annoying as I'd got the masking right and it looked pretty good!

I'll be doing some weathering on it tomorrow, starting with a pin wash and then moving onto the exhaust stains.

• Like 5

I'm soldiering on without the replacement canopy for now - I'll replace it when it arrives. in the meantime, weathering has been completed and it has been given a matt varnish coat. I'd forgotten to put the bomb aimer in his place, so the front transparency had to come off again to gain access. All is now back in place and the final exhaust stains have been added and so I can reveal...

DSC_2190.JPG

The background is the mancave - I'll take some proper photos tomorrow to put int he gallery...

DSC_2191.JPG

Hmmm looking at this I might have overdone the whitecaps on the waves...

DSC_2192.JPG

lol thats nicely framed! I was in a bit of a hurry to get these done before it got too late!

DSC_2193.JPG

Now you can see the prop blurs "in action"

DSC_2194.JPG

So there we have it - I did manage to complete before the deadline!!! Phew! Another one to add to the Yearbook!

• Like 4

Beautifully displayed Kallisti.... Having watched 'Dam Busters' yesterday on C5 it's spot on for timing. I really like the dramatic feel the whole set-up gives, especially with the bomb/mine in mid-bounce.

Looking forward to your next one!

Hutch

One thing, did you put it at a scale 60ft above the water?

Minor ask. Could you photograph with a black/dark backdrop to make it look like night?

Great idea, I'll see what I can do!

One thing, did you put it at a scale 60ft above the water?

Yes its 10 inches above the base which makes it a bit of a bugger to display easily :)

Watched the "What the Dambusters did next" documentary as well on C5 yesterday, every interesting!

Thanks for the nice comments guys!