New Airfix Kit Announcements at SMW 2014 - 1/72 He.111, Defiant, Sea King

Richard M

I suspect that some of the "is that it?" reaction is precisely because of that. Airfix should have retooled those old moulds which were up there with the Frog Penguin series sometime in the last century.

Having said that it's good to learn that they are. However if they had added just one completely new and unexpected model at the same time then their announcement would have carried a far greater impact. Imagine if they had said we are doing new tool Sea King, Defiant and He111 to replace our elderly toolings as part of a rolling program and also we have a new Manchester/ Beaufort/ Victor/ Shackleton or whatever as long as it's new in 2015 to look forward to.

The impact to market at a major show would be very much greater

Exactly. Whilst it's good to have new toolings like the defiant and Heinkel it's a total anti climax and I suspect many people will not only be wary of any more rumours (especially from the IPMS) but they'll feel pretty miffed too which has spoiled a lot of the nice feelings about the kits they did announce.

And as for this LIDAR thing I bet it's not perfect either and they seemed to do a good enough job on the 1/24th Typhoon without it.

Anti climax why?

All Airfix did was say there was going to be a "big" announcement at Telford

All the massive hype can be laid squarely at the feet of threads such as this one and the spurious 1/24th scale kit

that Airfix made no mention of.

No point cracking the dirts because Santa didnt bring what you asked for.

• Like 3

Gents,

Whilst the majority of posts have been good natured and positive. There are a couple of members here who may not realise that continuing to post comments like a petulant 7 year old will not end in jelly and ice cream later on. If you do not like the releases, don't buy them or take it up with Airfix.

It's good to see that Airfix are continuing with new tool subjects, a pity that the Junglie is not in 1:48, but I'm sure I will survive the anguish ;)

• Like 4

I've watched and I've waited.I haven't made comments or posts until now,big announcement for Telford etc was supposed to be big kit,possibly an early jet,we supposed a Vampire,a Meteor,we hoped a Lightning,the Airfix stable is lacking in Axis aircraft in the large(24th)scale and using the scanning tech they are now boasting.....whats wrong with an ME 262,all right the axis started it and they had the right ideas and we developed it but if you want early jet(thats recognised the whittle)then best to start with the 262,yup I'd like the lightning,gnat,etc but the German stuff say's it all if your into early jets and rocketry,

cheers.

Gordon :thumbsup:

Edited by Nemo2001builder

For those who are disappointed about the recent new release announcement, think of this, if LIDAR reduces the development time of kits from years to months then perhaps Airfix will be releasing a bumper number of new tool kits this year as both LIDAR and pre-LIDAR kits will be coming of the drawing board and into production at the same time for at least another year. Airfix must have a number of unfinished projects that were begun before the introduction of LIDAR.

Well while it is a little underwhelming, I'll certainly be getting the Defiant. Also the Seaking is good news, even if it is the wrong scale (I suppose there are people who actually build 1/72 Helicopters).

Who knows, like the 1/72 Typhoon was a bit of a dry run for the 1/24 kit, perhaps we'll be lucky and the new Defiant might get scaled up.

• Like 1

I wanted a braile scale F-111, is that too much to ask for. Does that make me a bad person. Am I alone in thinking that an absence of at least ten years is long enough to be without a 'Vark of some description. Doesn't even need to be a new moulding, a retread would do & don't really care if its lidar schmidar, just want one.

Spad

ps

Anyone about to point out that you can get 72nd Sparkvarks doesn't really need to, I already know

• Like 1

&

Yes feeling a bit let down there.

These new tools are welcome, but not the big announcement it was made out to be?

Julien

&

I agree about the (partial)let down, but we were responsible ourselves about generating the hoopla about the announcement IMHO.

Any new announcement from Airfix should be welcomed.

I am happy about all 3 subjects even though they're not exactly my cup of tea.

I consider the "Lidar" announcement the BIG one since this means NO MORE SHAPE ISSUES for all of Airfix's new release where they can apply the new tech!

Now that's big news!

Don't you agree?

Edited by Adats-Coyote
  • Like 3

Gents, I doubt very much that Airfix will have laid all their cards on the table already, before December. I dare say they'll still have an ace or two left to play, and whilst they may not be in the shapes of VC10's, Vulcans, Victors, or 1/24th scale representations of every WW2 warbird ever designed, I for one am always grateful that they are investing in replacing some creakingly-old moulds to a modern standard.

There will always be someone who feels let down that they didn't produce what they wanted, but I think of it like this - if Airfix waved a magic wand and suddenly every flying object from the Bede Microjet up to the Antonov 225 came into existence in ALL the main scales, 1) there would still be someone unhappy with something, and 2) what would they bring out that would be new afterwards? Mind you, by the time that happens, it could well be boxes of UAV's!

The 1/24th big kit thing seems to have been a self-feeding fire, but that's not to say something won't be announced next month. We'll see what else they are giving us then for next year, and I somehow suspect - whatever they are - we'll see a lot of similar comments afterwards too.

Edited by jasman71
  • Like 5

I think it's unrealistic to expect them to produce a new 1/24th kit every year, even when this LIDAR is up and running. Not to mention they never said that a new 1/24th kit was going to be announced.

Personally would have liked to have had something in 1/48th, but at least it might give me time to get the Javelin and Merlin before the next must have 1/48th kit appears.

Oh yes, and the Gnat.

• Like 1

I think it's unrealistic to expect them to produce a new 1/24th kit every year, even when this LIDAR is up and running.

Yeh it's not going to happen. I've used laser scans a few times at work, and it really doesn't speed up development time that much. The actual scan isn't at all usable in any direct way- there's still plenty of limitations with this technology. What it does do is provide the ultimate blueprint to build around- without all the guesswork associated with 2d plans. You do gain some time from not having to work so long on refining shapes, but the only big gain is going to be in the accuracy.

Edited by Rizzo

OK let's take stock here people. This is a rumour section of the site, therefore rumours abound. OK so the releases were a little underwhelming. Just remember a few years ago there was no Airfix. Full marks to hornby for the reboot and not just churning out old rubbish. I was as exited to see as anyone else what was coming and thought is that it? But if it means a defiant that isn't in either CA price range on fleabay or an old airfix tooling that is as easy to build as a clutch change on a Metro. We should applaud them for their efforts.

• Like 4

This is a list (stolen from the Airfix Tribute forum) of this years new tools. Map yesterdays announcement onto this list, and you see lots of room for exciting news in the advent calendar...

1:72 Scale Military Aircraft

Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72

Product Code: A01010

Re-issue of the A02067 Mk.I Hurricane kit (rag wing).

De Havilland Tiger Moth 1:72

Product Code: A01024

English Electric Lightning F6 1:72

Product Code: A05042

Supermarine Swift F.R. Mk5 1:72

Product Code: A04003

Bristol Blenheim MkI Bomber 1:72

Product Code: A04016

Bristol Blenheim MkIV Fighter 1:72

Product Code: A04017

Dornier Do17z 1:72

Product Code: A05010

Avro Lancaster BI(F.E.)/BIII 1:72

Product Code: A08013

Douglas Dakota C-47 A/D Skytrain 1:72

Product Code: A08014

1:48 Scale Military Aircraft

Folland Gnat 1:48

Product Code: A05123

RAF Red Arrows Gnat 1:48

Product Code: A05124

Supermarine Spitfire MkVb 1:48

Product Code: A05125

1:24 Scale Military Aircraft

Hawker Typhoon MkIb 1:24

Product Code: A19002

1:72 and 1:144 Scale Civil Aircraft

De Havilland Tiger Moth 1:72

Product Code: A01025

Douglas Dakota 1:72

Product Code: A08015

Military Vehicles

Willys Jeep, Trailer and Gun 1:72

Product Code: A02339

Higgins LCVP 1:72

Product Code: A02340

Douglas Dakota MkIII with Willys Jeep 1:72

Product Code: A09008

Ships

Mary Rose Starter Set 1:400

Product Code: A55114

I reckon we might be looking at 5 more 1/72 aircraft (including room for a couple of multiengine, so still possible for a beaufighter and valiant). Possibly 2 more 1/48 aircraft, and a couple of AFV's and boats too.

Edited by tangerine_sedge

The Sea King has always been a popular part of the Airfix range, however the existing model and tooling was beginning to age.

"Beginning to age"? Ya think? :lol:

I'm really pleased with the Sea King. It's just a shame that it won't be available for the Sea King STGB... ;)

"Beginning to age"? Ya think? :lol:

I'm really pleased with the Sea King. It's just a shame that it won't be available for the Sea King STGB... ;)

I have an early '70s box of the Sea King and it was already not the best fit back then !

The most recent boxings should be sold with the warnings typical of short run kits printed on the box: suited to advanced modellers etc, adjustment of parts etc. required...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though this must have been one of Airfix most popular kits of postwar subjects. I'm glad they choose the HC.4, will sit nicely along my old self-made conversion of guess what ? The Airfix HAR.3.....

Now, what other gift sets have been in production for a long time ? These would in theory all make good potential future subjects. Wonder if the Airfix team have thought of completing their Norwegian mission by looking at a certain small twin engined jet.. B)

• Like 1

What a friggin'joke... "le soufflé est méchamment retombé".

These are nice subjects but boy was I expecting bigger stuff... probably expecting too much ?

Actually, after reading all the posts since the unveiling of Airfix's new first 3 releases, I'm starting to understand that the LIDAR thing could probably be something of a revolution for what is my favourite brand. I guess it will all come down to how Airfix's designers master that technology as it is no shake & bake process, there obviously is much more "cleaning" work to do after the subject was scanned.

So from underwhelmed I switched to euphoric ;-) ! Of course I was expecting something big, bad & beautiful...ly British (sorry Monogram) such as a Victor, a Vulcan, a VC-10 or anything large but these 3 new little subjects, if tooled carefully, could appears like a second rebirth of Airfix.

I just came across sprue shots of the He 111, my first thought was that my Hasegawa/Revell kits were ready for the spare box, of course we will have to wait until the kits are in hand but boy it looks incredibly detailed & finely recessed.

The Defiant sprues, however, looked nothing special but again, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

All in all, that sure was a brilliant piece of comm from Airfix & I can't wait for these 3 new releases to reach my desk, even though they're not my cup of tea.

Well done Airfix & THANK YOU !

• Like 1

LiDAR is a well developed technology that has been used in industry for a while, it may be new to scale modelling but it's not new in its self. In the construction industry it can be used to scan existing buildings to put into the BiM model, we scan the insides of buildings with it. To answer an earlier question it should be possible to scan internals of aircraft.

To me it's plain to see what Airfix's strategy is, they are rotating through the scales (1/72, 1/48 and 1/24) for their so-called "big announcement". This year I make it the year for 1/72.

Whilst the subject matters announced don't really pique my interest, my view it's far from a publicity own goal as some have suggested - it's clear it's been a massive success.

Marty...