New Airfix Kit Announcements at SMW 2014 - 1/72 He.111, Defiant, Sea King

Richard M

Now...............onto NEXT YEARS announcement, anybody got ANY ideas???? :bangin::wicked:

I am seeing a trend

2013 Gladiator, Hurricane,

2014 Do-17, Blenheim

2015 Defiant, He 111

so does that make 2016 Beaufighter and Ju-88?

• Like 1

Well, I'm very happy with the Defiant and the Heinkel, not too bothered about the Sea King as I don't do helicopters. Not a let down for me, but still looking forward to the full range of 2015 releases at Christmas.

Well, I think if Hornby can use this technology to translate all the lumps, bumps, ripples and creases etc that characterise real 1:1 scale aeroplanes realistically into a plastic kit, then they'll be on to a winner. I think it has the potential to bring a new level of realism to the hobby, and will make them stand out from the crowd. Personally, I think it will come into it's own more in larger scales, but 1:72 is bread and butter stuff for Airfix, so perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that they have started there.

Here's to a bright future.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 6

These releases are the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come when the Advent calendar (assuming there will be one) is online. Hopefully there will be something of interest for almost everyone. I say "almost everyone" because there will always be people who are disappointed that their particular favourite hasn't made the release list for the coming year.

There's truth in the saying that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

• Like 3

There was enough info even in this thread that there wasn't going to be a 1/24 scale anything, the reason so many disappointed is through Chinese Whispers and this all started with a guess that the big announcement was going to be a big kit!

Talk about speculation :rolleyes:

Not interested in any 3 of them but if it means Airfix will prosper and make other subjects I would be interested in then good on them :)

• Like 3

Airfix, get that LIDAR stuff down to Bruntingthorpe and laser me a new Buccaneer and don't forget to point it at Black Mike when he arrives too, 1/72 scale will be fine thank you.

Duncan B

:lol: . 100% agree. However, I think you made a typo Duncan. You surely meant 1/48??

Allan

• Like 2

and the use of LIDAR isn't a headliner? Are there any other companies using this?

Hi PhoenixII,

It's been in use in the RTR model railway industry since 2007

-

WV908

Edited by WV908

I don't think for a minute that Airfix went all the way to Gardemoen to LIDAR one subject......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Armed_Forces_Aircraft_Collection

There is an 88 there under restoration, a Lodestar, Cornell, T-33, single seat Vampire.......

Trevor

• Like 2

A new He-111 and Defiant - nice! Not the Shackleton I wanted (needed!), but good job Airfix! The Seaking looks good, also. Those are all a nice start to what I hope is a very fruitful 2015!

Regards,

Jason

LIDAR is a really interesting development, and I'll be curious to see the results. All they need to do now is scan a Shackleton MR.2

Only problem I see though is, it's only good if the aircraft type actual exists, and my tastes seem to be getting increasingly esoteric.

Edited by 2wheels

Well, let the moaners moan and the complainers complain. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, the wild speculation, the humour, the build up and the final announcement. I may or may not buy any of these three kits but the use of LIDAR is brilliant and the results look very promising. Let's do it all again in December.

1/24 RN Phantom anyone?

• Like 4

Well this particular Joe Public managed to leave SMW blissfully unaware that Airfix had (eventually) announced anything other than 'a new Seaking and a new He111'. The use of LIDAR is interesting, surprised more wasn't being made of it on the stand display. If it was up to me, there would have been a big banner proclaiming 'our most accurate 1:72 releases ever!' but that's just me.......:)

• Like 1

How about "the potehtial to create our most accurate kits ever"? Still a good slogan.

I don't think the announcement that they are to use LIDAR is that big a deal in itself. Interesting and valuable certainly, but (as pointed out) it does have its own set of limitations in the choice of prototypes and does not remove the need to use other sources to look for differences between that example and the specific ones they intend to offer. Or (in the case of the Heinkel) to detect any distortions that may have been introduced by the crash and subsequent weathering/handling. Although a significant step forward it will not remove altogether any justified critical judgements depending upon interpretation of (possibly ambiguous) sources or identification of different features on other examples. No doubt the Airfix designers are aware of such pitfalls.

As for the publicity value of such "puff": I don't see that, either. The only real excitement has come from a small subset of the limited community on this board, who are glued to whatever Airfix do anyway. (As opposed to necessarily buying...) It has increased the amusement level here - good enough in itself. I don't see expressions of personal disappointment at the choice as being any more important than at any other time or any other thread.

By the way, what did Revell have on show at Telford? (OK, I can see for myself tomorrow.)

• Like 1

Yeah, i understand. But - Seaking was new in last decade by Revell and two years back by Dragon... And Hasegawa He-111 was re-boxed by Revell for very acceptable price. I suppose a price of new tool from Airfix was very similar to Revell.... Only "deviant Defiant" was nice surprise for me....and i bougth TWO. He-111 probably not and Seaking only when have decals for Prince William personal mount...

Perhaps Airfix will LIDAR Prince William and do a SAR Sea king with him as the pilot......

mmmmm, seeing as how they've done their own presentation team, don't be too surprised if they actually do, and issue a 'special edition' kit [with some proceeds going to a Royal / RAF charity]

• Like 1