New Airfix Kit Announcements at SMW 2014 - 1/72 He.111, Defiant, Sea King

Richard M

Why any displeasure? At least three new tool kits (one of which has never been satisfactorily done - SK4), from a British company that has been through tough times and is now making great kits (Hawk, Dak, Lightning, Moth, etc...), that many people can afford. Just because it isn't a 1/xx BeaufightingShackleBucc that x amount of people jumped on the bandwagon and said that they really could not live without, doesn't mean that these ones are useless/ pointless/ unnecessary. I'll be truthful, and tell you that I'll probably buy two of the SKs - not the other two new'uns but that's just me, my opinion and my choice.

I think the LIDAR laser measuring bit is the big announcement. Not only will the measurements be more accurate, but it will also significantly reduce the time (and cost) it takes to take a model from selection to appearing in a shop.

Only Airfix know for sure, but I expect this will enable Airfix to do *more* new tool models in future. Good news for all modellers I would have thought regardless of scale or type.

• Like 5

I think the LIDAR laser measuring bit is the big announcement.....

That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

And a very clever piece of marketing too, you just can't please all of the people all of the time. Shame the Sea King is 1/72, it cries out for 1/48, with this technology I'm sure rescaling will be a simple task, here's hoping for the future.

Well they've replaced arguably the three biggest clunkers from the existing range which is good news, and shows Hornby is serious about investing in the kit line up of Airfix by replacing old tools rather than just re-issuing them.

Very interesting news about the LIDAR scanning process, opens up a wealth of opportunities.

Richard.

Yep, pretty much agree (although I'd put the Beau above at least two of the three as a 'clunker'). Although the releases are not on my personal list of faves (did I mention the Beau?) it's great to see Airfix continuing to expand their range (and I do mean expand: credible buying options against 'clunkers' represents an expansion to this modeller at least).

As to whether the LIDAR scanning process is the big news, I'm unsure, being unaware how widespread the process is in the modelling industry (I'm guessing not very common, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me). As to the models themselves being "Big News", then I'm not sure I agree. I did expect a "big" release, although not 1/24th as I think that one was debunked quite convincingly pretty early on.

regards,

Martin

Was that it then? Was that really it? The "big " announcement? The "large new kit"? To say that I am totally underwhelmed is putting it mildly.. Nothing wrong with the kits shown & I 'll certainly buy the Heinkel & Defiant but, this announcement was hardly worth the fuss it generated. But then of course, I suppose it was US generating the fuss to begin with? Sorry but it really is a total anti climax. Ah well, maybe the 2015 release schedule will prove more exciting. I'd never even heard of LIDAR scanning technology before today. Maybe that was the "big announcement"?

All very interesting I'm sure but I rather suspect that most of us plebs are more interested in what will be produced rather than how it will be produced.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

and remember folks its just a "teaser" for the 2015 range ! so we could still get a shack !

I've got a shed already.

SeaKing is good news, Defiant and He111 aren't for me. Still, they're new tool so its not a bad thing.It costs money for them to get it right. People bigged it all up, now for the rapid descent.

Did anyone get any of these right,I can't remember.

To all those at the show,have a good time!

Big annoncement are He-111 (why ???) Seaking (why ???) and Defiant (yeees) in small scale... Good joke :/

Because the 1962 He.111 kit needs replacing with something where the clear parts might realistically connect to the fusleage....

Because the 1969 Sea King kit fitted where it touched just about....

Because the 1960 Defiant was considered unfit for purpose in 1980, yet was re-issued since then so many times you can hold it up to the light and see through the fuselage....

The big announcement was the LIDAR tech, backed up by three new kits produced using it.

• Like 3

But Col, it might be a 1/24 Hunter :)

Then it'll be just as well I'm clearing another two off the bench. Only another 15 72nd scale, 3 144th scale, then 4 32nd scale to do before I've none left in the stash ;)

The Sea King gets my vote. It was much needed to replace the old tooling, as were the Defiant and 111, have Airfix represented the riveted surface in any way? Either way that's first 2015 Airfix kit on my shopping list.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the vid Je5tar!

Ok no Beaufighter, but it's day will come as the pensionable moulds are culled. After the Defiant, I think the Battle is the next prime candidate :clif:

1/72 is Airfix's bread and butter and this LIDAR voodoo may make other subjects more plausable?

111 and Junglie are not my bag, but I see a lot of Defiants making it to the proposed BoB build next year. January release too. Cool.

Trevor

I think that LIDAR sounds very promising, just look at the surface detail it picked upon that HE111. I don't know how the information obtained from the use of LIDAR will be put into reality when it comes to making the new moulds but I'm assuming that it will all be done by computer operated machinery using the exact data recording by LIDAR. With my very limited knowledge of hi-tech machine shop methods I expect that the level of detail and quality of surface texture on these new kits should be incredible.

Looking at the three kits announced, I'm not that interested in Helicopters and neither the Defiant or HE111 are favourites of mine. Having said that I will be looking forward to the Defiant (may buy two kits) and I will probably finish up buying the HE111 as well, especially if they do a torpedo version.

In summary I'm a little disappointed about the three kits announced, but regardless still really looking forward to getting my hands on my first Lidar kit, keeping my fingers crossed for a new Beafighter and hoping to see some old favourites being re-released. If LIDAR is as good as it looks then Airfix's expensive competitors are going to be in trouble.

I note with interest that they scanned the He111 in January 2014 and it'll be released 2015 sometime, that would appear to be quite a lot faster than the 3 years (that they stated last year) that it took to produce a kit from scratch. I do believe that the LIDAR is the big news, more accurate kits more often potentially. Of course that'll only work for subjects that they can find examples of to scan in the first place but I'm ok with that as I can point them to examples of the subjects I would like anyway.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Well personally I'm delighted about what has been announced so far.

For those complaining about the lack of "big announcement", I think Airfix were referring to the LIDAR scanning. Of course everyone expected their most wished for kit in 1/24 /1/48 1/72 scale. A brand new 1/24 subject is probably unrealistic every year, considering the amount of time, money and work involved.

So I don't think this a massive let down, just a promise of more and better kits to come.

Although a 1/24 kit was a long shot, I think it's a bit of let down initially.

Agreed, the LIDAR thing, if Airfix is the first kit manufacturer to use it and it translates through CAD to mold and kit parts and being very accurate and detailed, I agree, it's a big thing.

Having some time to think about it, the Sea king will probably find it's way into my stash. The HE-111 may do if the price is right. Personally not interested in the defiant.

Hopefully, something there for everyone, but you can't please them all.

Good choices, but do they justify the claims for a big announcement?

Five letters..............LIDAR

Another social media fail for Airfix, not to mention a massive yawn in the actual announcements.

Why? The ONLY thing that Airfix said was "....a big announcement"

Sorry, but this is about personal perception, NOT what was stated.

A load of rubbish as far as I'm concerned. Why the need for a new HE-111? A Defiant is nice but something like a Shack or VC-10 would have been a headliner worthy of all this hype

and the use of LIDAR isn't a headliner? Are there any other companies using this?

Ladies and Gents, we ALL have a wish list, most of which will NEVER see the light of day from a mainstream producer,

as they are NOT VIABLE for sustained profit. This thread has kept us ALL amused in the lead up to the nationals!

Don't 'spit yer dummy' just because your personal PERCEPTION of what was meant by the announcement was / is flawed.

While talking of BIG announcements, here's one for you......................... their MODEL kits..............................

bits of plastic that we BIG kids stick together, constantly bemoan that this, that and the other is wrong,

spend innumerable hours arguing about the right colours for this, that and the other.

FACT.........

If it has wings, it will fly ONCE!

If it has tracks or wheels you may get to play 'brum, brum' a few times!

If it's supposed to float, it MAY, but I'll bet ya that it'll be upside down!

Now...............onto NEXT YEARS announcement, anybody got ANY ideas???? :bangin::wicked:

• Like 9

Don't forget that Airfix never announce their full range for the following year at Telford, so still lots to come!

Personally, I would like to see some subjects that haven't been done to death in one version or another already.

Dave

• Like 2

The vast majority of the hype, speculation and rumour about this (Includng the 1/24th claim) came from outside of Airfix. they sowed a few seeds and generated huge forests.

And I've just seen the pic of a card from Telford that says the 'Whys' of the Seaking (Couldn't read the tezxt of the Defiant or Heinkel cards)

- Evergreen Subject

- Mould tool badly worn

- Popular gift set

- Existing kit does not give new customers a good experience.

Hoping for more variants from the Sea King!!

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 3