New Airfix Kit Announcements at SMW 2014 - 1/72 He.111, Defiant, Sea King

Richard M

Errr, do you think anyone in the Airfix marketing department builds kits ?

Not withstanding the welcome replacement of these old classics, they are after all re-releases, it reminds me of New Labour, is Alastair Campbell working for Airfix now as a consultant ?

Errr, subtle difference between re-release and new toolings.

Another social media fail for Airfix, not to mention a massive yawn in the actual announcements.

Why is this a social media fail ? I reckon they have managed this really well from a Company point of view.

And while I will only buy the Defiant, I seriously do not think the kits are a yawn.

• Like 1

I'm quite disappointed that it was not my 1/12 lada, but I can live with that. Any improvement to that rotten sea king kit is no bad thing. True there is no announcement like the typhoon last year, but you can't have everything. There may well be a few surprises once the 2015 range is fully announced, but until that time anything else Is just guesswork.

Good choices, but do they justify the claims for a big announcement?

Yes.

A load of rubbish as far as I'm concerned. Why the need for a new HE-111? A Defiant is nice but something like a Shack or VC-10 would have been a headliner worthy of all this hype

Rubbish because it is not your thing. Grow up fella.

• Like 4

that are the "re-dos" of pre-existing kits....? well they do need replacing the old moulds are all bad so at least the new ones will be better (unless you like att the extra work to get a good mode). I may have the sea king and I should think that they will do all the other UK versions of the SeaKing in time, as all ways disappointment for me has I am mainly a RN modeller just hoping for a HMS Caroline for the Jutland Anniversary. Might be some thing else for xmas but I dought a totally new 1/24 or what ever (who has the space for these monsters) mmmmmmm 1/72 HMS WArrior would be nice though.

Well they've replaced arguably the three biggest clunkers from the existing range which is good news, and shows Hornby is serious about investing in the kit line up of Airfix by replacing old tools rather than just re-issuing them.

Very interesting news about the LIDAR scanning process, opens up a wealth of opportunities.

• Like 2

I'm not in any way displeased. The thought of paying less than forty dollars for a decent He111 model appeals, I can sell my MPM Defiant, and AFAIK there's never really been a decent HC4 Sea King without an expensive conversion.

• Like 4

I am pleased to see Airfix updating their range in this way and the choices are both sensible and welcome.

There is no "but" from me though there is a concern. Airfix have rather set a precedent for a big release at Telford and after the Typhoon they had a hard act to follow. The hype surrounding their marketing perhaps set expectations too high and that can backfire on a brand. Airfix need to be careful not to overpromise and underdeliver. Their Defiant, He111 and Sea King are all very much to be welcomed but what exactly sets Airfix apart or above any other manufacturer releasing three new tool products?

My concern relates not to the choice of subject or scale but to the marketing hype preceding it.

• Like 5