New Airfix Kit Announcements at SMW 2014 - 1/72 He.111, Defiant, Sea King

Richard M

Airfix is fond of jubilees. So my first guess is that it has to do with a year ending with 5. But this clue doesn't help me at all... :) A 1/48 B-29? I guess not...

That's what I was thinking, it's too late now for WW1 so we've got to think into the future, 2015 would be 70 years from WW2 and dropping 2 atom bombs is a pretty significant event in the history of mankind I reckon, maybe not 1/48 though :)

It'll be 65 years since start of Korean War next year, loads of subjects to pick from there 60 years since the start and 40 years since the end of the Vietnam war....

Given how large percent of tooling costs go into engines, especially Napier Sabre my bet would be Tempest, but it may be too soon to capitalize fully that subject.

Since FB.VI Mosquito is OOP would bet on earlier versions, if totally new tool..

Early-late Merlin Spits

Tempest...maybe Gloster E.28/39.....

One thing to note is airfix are selling off their 1/24 harriers really cheaply. Is this because they want to sell off the stock of the old kit as they got a replacement

I like the sound of that!
  • Like 2

I like the sound of that!

One thing to note is airfix are selling off their 1/24 harriers really cheaply. Is this because they want to sell off the stock of the old kit as they got a replacement

I think it has more to do with Airfix not wanting to pay to transport and store stock which has been sitting on the storeroom shelves for too long anyway. Everything they are selling off cheap is stuff they don't think will make an economic return if moved to the new warehouse. Following that line of reasoning, if they are having to flog it cheap because it hasn't been selling and has been sitting in their stockroom, why would they re-tool that kit especially as some of the stock isn't shifting even at 50% off?

This has been my line of thougth as well. The old kit has been a consistent seller but the molds are now very worn.

Next year is also the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain,

Cheers,

Bill.

Sounds like a good guess. As I pointed out earlier, Airfix is fond of anniversaries. On the other hand, if so, they probably would have sold theír present Mk. 1 cheaper. It is still in stock, no sale in sight.

I think it has more to do with Airfix not wanting to pay to transport and store stock which has been sitting on the storeroom shelves for too long anyway. Everything they are selling off cheap is stuff they don't think will make an economic return if moved to the new warehouse. Following that line of reasoning, if they are having to flog it cheap because it hasn't been selling and has been sitting in their stockroom, why would they re-tool that kit especially as some of the stock isn't shifting even at 50% off?

I basically agree with this - I know it too well from my company. But I think you have to look closely why some kit do not sell. Maybe the difference between size and detail is no longer acceptable. Sure some die-hard Harrier fans will buy it because they simply want a huge Harrier kit and this is the only game in town. But the 1:24 Typhoon will not only be bought by die-hard Typhoon fans, but also those who are simply attracted by the state-of-the-art tooling. So as long as the selling price will not completely skyrocket I suppose a new tool Harrier would sell way better than the old one.

Still I do not thing this will happen.

Rene

I`ll never have the space needed for a 1:24 scale Typhoon. Not even for the cardboard box. Anyway, I have kept telling my wife how lovely the kit is and showed her some remarkable builds here at BM. Why? Compared with The Tiffie Kit it´s easy to buy another 1:72 airplane kit with 1:10 of that price, "but honey, this is NOT the Typhoon, so..." I must have bought kits worth more in money than The Tiffie Kit during the last half year, all with the acceptance of the Missus :-) V-P

• Like 2

Given how large percent of tooling costs go into engines, especially Napier Sabre my bet would be Tempest, but it may be too soon to capitalize fully that subject.

It would need new fuselage, new wings, new undercarriage and new cockpit for a start. The engine, the tailplanes (assuming Typhoon kit includes Tempest style tailplanes) , the wheels (early Tempest only) and a few cockpit odds and sods would be about all that could be used. It would be nice though.

Andy

From Airfix Facebook page

`Ladies and Gentlemen, the rumours are true! We will have an announcement for you at Telford this year, and we are very excited about it! But what could it be? What's on your wish list?' - Airfix Rep

No mention of scale or subject so could be anything.

Robert

• Like 1