Space Battleship Yamato General Thread

Misrule

I used Insignia Red on the Darold and turned out quite nice, I'd guess probably the same red would be used on the other Gamilas units too, probably Melda's jet as well :)

Also first look at the 1/1000 Andromeda. 

hj170207-1024x788.jpg

Interesting base, like the light and sound X-Wing Bandai did few months ago.

EDIT- Just noticed, Cosmo Tiger fighters too on the base! Fingers crossed for a 1/72 of them

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 1

About February or March I think to match the new film. Not sure on the price but that electronic base is going to push it up and I'm not sure about that. I'm sure it'll look nice but I'm a bit old fashioned and don't like gimmicks in my battleships :P

Couple of clearer pictures

an01.jpg

an02.jpg

Yes, I am of the same opinion about the gimmicks they are putting on them - they seem very toy like, especially the sounds part. I can't speak about the lights though as I seem to like adding lghts to everything :D

the bridge kind of reminds me of the snake thing out of Prometheus.

• Like 1

I have finally made a start on the Cosmo Zero and Cosmo Falcon from 2199 :) Just painting the cockpits and pilots tonight (too fiddly!) and hopefully I can start a thread tomorrow as it'll be more than a pile of primed bits.

They're quite intriguing to build, I got some inspiration from the 2199 mooks and changed my approach to something more like a puzzle - looking for ways to cut away the push-fit bits so sections can be slotted together after dealing with seams.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I have finally made a start on the Cosmo Zero and Cosmo Falcon

Yay! I have been waiting for you to start the Zero since you made mention of it a while ago

Looking forward to seeing that one :D

Si

• Like 1

I like the Falcon a lot, the Zero always looked a bit too blatantly sci-fi, like a classic 70s rocket ship which I guess it was :P But the Falcon, I can see something like that being real and flying around thirty or forty years from now. Still, I do have a weak spot for near future jets. Thanks Macross, Yukikaze and Ace Combat :P 

• Like 1

I always liked the Zero mostly for it's abilities - although it was the one in the live action movie I liked the best. I guess your right in a way that it is blatantly Sci-Fi, but it's still pretty cool :)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Misrule said:

I like the Falcon a lot, the Zero always looked a bit too blatantly sci-fi, like a classic 70s rocket ship which I guess it was :P 

It is pretty pointy and finny, and it's the only starfighter I know that can give you a proper hug :) The Cosmo Falcon looks a bit like an F-22 *hugged* a duck, I'm really tempted to paint the nose yellow!

The Cosmo Zero model for some reason makes me think of the EE Lightning, I think maybe because they suggest having the over-wing tanks. I was wondering about carrying the black anti-glare panel back along the fuselage spine to the tail, but not sure yet.

Have got the pilots and cockpits done, just about, but it's too dark for pics now, sorry.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Misrule said:

A pic of Earth's new fighter 

tumblr_ojfy35qr2j1tlx2gqo1_1280.jpg

Very fancy

That's crazy! It looks like there's a pretty good shape underneath all the weapons though. I've always liked that droop-nosed look.

Will

• Like 1

Looks a lot like an early version of the Pulsar fighters Earth uses in the original timeline, maybe a precursor in universe

tumblr_npuj2xYxHV1sxm4gzo2_1280.jpg

The trailer showed the classic Tiger fighters making a comeback too so I'd guess Earth is going to have a nice mix of fighter types for its coming conflict :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Misrule said:

Looks a lot like an early version of the Pulsar fighters Earth uses in the original timeline, maybe a precursor in universe

The trailer showed the classic Tiger fighters making a comeback too so I'd guess Earth is going to have a nice mix of fighter types for its coming conflict :)

this one looks much better than the other one with the drooped nose. That one seems a bit too Macross for my taste with all of it's protrusions where as this one is more in keeping with the sleeker 2199 ships

Edited by Madhatter
Wrong genre inserted

Yeah I agree, the tooled up one looks like it's an unmanned experiment to me, that cockpit looks pretty small to fit a pilot into and we know the Earth fleet is still using regular looking fighters as their main strength. But if you were to combine the regular Earth fighters with the gunned up one you'd end up with something very similar to that sketch, I definitely think that's going to end up being the future Earth fighter in the series. Even drawn by the same artist so i guess it makes sense :)

I loved Star Blazers as a kid, and recently came across some info about the latest Space Battleship Yamato series one evening while searching the net. I was a however disappointed that there was no translation to english. I know that is a lazy mans approach, but there is often so much happening in the space battles it's quite difficult to read subtitles and watch at the same time. Anyone know why there is no english translation ?

How do you watch them ? Are they streamed somewhere ?

I think the company that distributes them had some problems getting it all together for a western release. Luckily the Japanese release had English subtitles as an option so you can at least get the story but I haven't heard of any voice dubs for the new batch, or even a conclusive western release.

Seems to have been that they didn't expect it to do quite as well as it did, the Asian release was fine but they botched it elsewhere. Fortunately this new series starting next month which is the Comet Empire story seems a bit more together, they already have some English advertising and are using the Starblazer name from the start so with a bit of luck we might see a much more organised western release. Maybe more kits closer to here too, cheaper shipping would be a blessing especially if the Gatlantis capital ships end up as big as it looks like they are :P

I'd like to say I have the DVDs.... Probably best not to mention exactly where I found them, bit of a funny grey area on the whole legal front and I'd not want to cause bother for this forum :) But a quick google and a stout adblocker should see you right. But you didn't hear it from me ;)

13 hours ago, Misrule said:

That looks a lot like a Super Sylph from Yukikaze. ..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-PqucGi9cD3uH4Bjobhm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdTCvLpDJqG-6GxV3XwWG

It doesn't look "right" for Yamato. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 3

There was a limited release of DVD and Blu-ray copies under Star Blazers 2199. Although not dubbed, they were subtitled and region free. For some reason, they didn't finish releasing the entire series. 

As for the Cosmo Pulsar fighter sketches, they're from Yamato 2220 and not the upcoming second season which is called SBY 2202. 

If you can find a copy of Hyperweapon 2009, there's a multipage article on the Cosmo Pulsar as well as the Cosmo Zero 2220.

Carl