B1-B Bone Lancer - 1/48 Revell - Finish Line

rom1

Hello Guys!

The Bone is fully coated with Microscale gloss varnish.

After a day if drying time, the whole surfaces are polished with Micromesh clothes, grade 6000 to 12000.

This process is done by wetting the micromesh and surfaces with water.

Water is useful to evacuate all the residues in order not to stick on the abrasive mesh.

It allows to keep the same abrasive power during the process.

It also ensures lubricating properties.

After that, contrasts are a bit erased.. it is a bit disappointing...

Results:

IMG_7102_zps026411fd.jpg

IMG_7105_zpsad83f82d.jpg

IMG_7104_zps5c083ee4.jpg

IMG_7103_zps0ef3b3d8.jpg

engraved details pop in white due to the polishing residues.

they will be removed later.

IMG_7107_zpsc33e1c58.jpg

IMG_7109_zpse3a2e1e4.jpg

Now we can start decalling!

IMG_7106_zpsb63279c0.jpg

I decided to set these markings:

outca_zpsf9fee351.jpg

Thanks again for watching!

Romain

• Like 6

I'm loving this. Great work Romain

Thank you guys!!

That looks great, the white residue looks good too, be a shame to wash it out!

yeah I was thinking the same... but I finally find that it hides the camo...

Good stuff! I know what you mean about the clear gloss taking away the contrast, but it will come back when you do the matt varnish.

Cheers,

Bill

thanks Bill. Yes, I hope so. ;^)

ive just got some of the micro scale clear gloss, any tips for how to use it??

Actually it is very easy.

You have to dilute it with water. Here you can choose the dilution.

You also will add a drop of dish soap in order to ease the varnish to spread well.

It will dry in a dozen minutes. But wait at least 24hr before polishing or other work.

Bye!

• Like 1

Hello!

Decalling was pretty fast forward:

IMG_7110_zpsinaqy7gy.jpg

IMG_7111_zpshuhdbayo.jpg

Each decal is sealed under a coat of satin clear coat.

IMG_7112_zpshg59uvmt.jpg

IMG_7113_zps1o90nwvk.jpg

IMG_7114_zpsfmr6ultl.jpg

Then I applied the washes.

"gris de payne" on the undersides:

IMG_7115_zpsgx8xrkes.jpg

IMG_7116_zps5y4fo8ka.jpg

IMG_7119_zpsbkzgjdz3.jpg

And Sepia/black on top:

IMG_7118_zps6qsv8zwq.jpg

IMG_7117_zpszewqsnib.jpg

Then I sprayed a satin/flat varnish coat:

IMG_7121_zpsnv10lajd.jpg

IMG_7123_zpsfritdzal.jpg

I still have some things to do to achieve weathering, though...

;^)

Romain

• Like 11

I've got to be completely honest here - I'm absolutely loving this build but I think the panel line wash has spoilt an otherwise stunning paint job.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but your finish looked far better pre-wash with the very subtle panel breaks and superb fading etc. To my eye, the darkened lines have spoilt the effect and it looks far less realistic now - you simply do not see dark lines over the real aircraft.

As I said, just my opinion and I hope you don't mind me saying so :)

Tom

• Like 4

Romian, I generally agree with TomP. in that the washes seem too stark. Though, granted, looking at pix on the 'puter isn't the same as "real life" so some allowance is due. But really this is a matter of artistic "taste" (as Ski said, 'Build what you like...") hence I have no standing! Also, you are probably not finished with your work, so I really await the final results.

I personnally subscribe to the weathering principle that aims to replicate in miniature the effects of the full size weathering process (UV, abrasion, wear, dirt, precip, etc..) For a state of the art, modern, USAF aircraft, I would ask if it ever would reach this level of 'dirt' retention on its surfaces (basic process of airborne dust and soot accumulating in the tiny joint edges & anywhere there are airflow disturbances)? The contrasting panel line treatments are certainly in vogue now, I feel primarily because 1) the effect is dramatic, 2) it is a fun technique to "pop" the details and 3) it is relatively straight-forward method to imply 'complexity' as part of the scale effect we modelers employ to differentiate our work from 'toys'.

For me, subtle complexity or 'scale clarity' is not only due to coloration effects but from textural surface modulation. For large beasts like the 'Bone', the minute waviness (and sometimes *not* so minute waviness) of the skin and resulting variance in reflectance meets the need. This technique takes a great deal more work to achieve, what with all the scraping, sanding, smoothing, gouging, etc, ad nauseam and so is not for everyone or even for one's 'every time'.

Guess my point is although the whole 'wash it' isn't my cup of tea, I still admire your skill and am glad you're having fun with it. You *are* having fun, right? ;^)

Regards, Robert

• Like 4

Hello Guys,

first, thank you very much for taking time to comment.

I really appreciate.

And yes, I do agree with both of you ;^)

Tom, you are right. Most of the effects I painted disappeared under varnish and polishing. I was quite sad about that...

Concerning the washes, I must admit I like the effect they give. And ok, you won't see them like this on a real plane.

But ^^ I can't let a model with "unpopped" panel lines.

Moreover, the last picture posted was taken with few light.

In reality, I personally find that the panel lines are not so overdone.

The lines are very deep... (thanks revell of 1983 ^^) and depending from where you stare at the model, the rendering is not the same.

I took new pictures. Maybe you will find the effects more soft. Maybe ;^)

IMG_7124_zpsxpvkwg2u.jpg

IMG_7126_zps8tna069j.jpg

Moreover, It is not finished!

I planned to rework the washes with sepia (dark brown, work with pastels and pencils..

and maybe rework some areas with airbrush.

Cheers!!

Romain

• Like 6

Absolutely stunning build.

I've been following your progress for a while, and your attention to detail is amazing.

Personally I like the panel washes, as like you, I don't think a model looks right without them.

Karl

I like the effect on your model, and comparing to some pictures of the full-size a/c I think there's justification for darkening the panel lines. It's not visible in all lights, but definitely in some - e.g. this picture on Wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/B-1_Afghanistan_December_08.JPG

shows subtle panel lines in bright sun, but very clear lines in the shade where the paint sheen catches the light.

IMO model panel lines are going to be a compromise - the engravings in the plastic are always deeper and softer (rounded edges, rounded bottom) than the real thing and the curved edges can catch the light as bright lines. This looks out of scale to me, whereas adding the wash helps sharpen them and makes sure you only see the shadow rather than the bright line. This makes the lines more obvious, but also helps the shape read as more in-scale.

I guess it's ultimately down to personal preference, there are reasonable justifications either way :)

And just to repeat, this is a lovely build, it's looking so good. Wish I had space for one (maybe I should build the 1/144 to put with my Tu-160...)

Cheers,

Will

In the second batch of pictures the effect of the wash certainly looks more restrained. Perhaps the bright lighting makes it look rather stark in the first pictures.

Please don't think I'm critising your work - far from it (you're far more talented at painting than I could ever be!) but I just felt that the panels were rather 'in your face'.

I also completely agree with others regarding the need for some surface detail, but I do feel there is a current trend of overdoing things somewhat.

However, I'm also well aware that it's each to their own and despite my earlier reservations about the panel lines there's no doubt this is one stunning build.

I look forward to seeing the finished article when she's done :)

Tom

• Like 2

Hi guys

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate.

Thank you Will for this great pictures. This late Bone is well weathered.

Tom, no worries! :D

I appreciate you took time to comment ,^)

Do not hesitate to tell me if you see something. It will help me to improve the work!

I'm curently working on the weathering: stains, maintenance marks, some streaks.

The goal is to give life to these wide surfaces, by adding some color details able to "catch the eye".

bye

Romain

• Like 1

This should be pinned as a lesson on how to give and accept constructive criticism. Superb to see a well worded alternative opinion put forward followed by an equally well worded explanation and acknowledgement. We can all learn something here.

Your B-One is looking extremely impressive Rom. Good job.

• Like 5

Like the way you use your pin washes..... the proper way! :) So many people seem to just coat the model with oil then wipe it off. It looks okay but proper weathering requires patience and many different types and colour of washes placed with thought as to where they should be. The result is......... well like your Lancer :)