My Collection Of Great War Aeroplane Models

Old Man

I'm almost speechless, they are all beautiful. I find WW.1 aircraft so fascinating in the design variations and your collection show this very well.

Top quality work, and great choice of subjects.

Thanks for posting,

John

Fantastic collection!

I Love the unusual types especially :)

Thank you, Sir. It was a love of 'odd ducks' drove me to scratch-building in the first place. The AG-4 is the oddest. Only two were built, and the first only looked as I have modelled it in the early part of its career (its tail surfaces were greatly altered, and the second one had them altered even more). I find it strange that such a unique machine (and one which had such wretched flying characteristics as it did) should have flown such a significant sortie....

So much rigging! :hypnotised:

Excellent models though, they're really superb!

Thank you, Sir. As I have said, I like to rig. What gives me a bit of the willies are canopies and modern cockpits --- I cannot see how anyone can make a decent job of the interior of a modern jet....

:wow:some superb work, the rigging in some must took forever??? how did you do the rigging??

fantastic collection and very nicely built

Thank you, Sir. For most purposesd, I use EZ-Line elastic for rigging. I touch a very tiny dab of CA gel where the end should go, wet the end of the line with kicker, and hold it to the dab for a slow five count. For short lenths, and things like king-post braces where a botched attempt would be ruinous, I use stiff brass wire of four thou diameter, painted dark, cut to length and fastened with white glue.

..to think I'm having trouble with a 48th scale Fokker Triplane (..well the SMER 44th scale kit actually..) !!

favourite has to be the Breguet U.1 ...but a super collection!

Thank you for liking the single-spar Breguet, Sir. It is a special favorite of mine as well. It was fiendishly hard to do, I do not mind admitting. One of the strangest machines ever to take to the air in any quantity. I may try another one; not a re-working of this one, but one of the earlier variants employed in Morocco, or at Dijon in 1913.

Boom, I am just speechless !!!

Thank you very much, Sir. I am glad you like them.

Breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much, Sir. I am glad you liked them.

All very impressive work, OM -

I would not have a clue as to how and where to start on a scratch build model ..............

Regards

Dave

Thank you, Sir. A lot of it is getting to look at the plane as a collection of shapes, rather like a cubist painter, so to speak. If you can think of it as rectangle with a domed top, and a cylinder, and such, it is easier to see yourself making it. I have built up a certain knack by now, I will cheerfully admit, but still maintain scratch-building is more a question of nerve than skill, and if you muster the nerve to start, the needed skill will come.

Stunning collection of models, I feel the desire to scratch build coming on!

Hope your next project will be a WIP?

What happened to your Frog Blenheim Mk1?

Thank you, Sir. I certainly hope you get onto one. My present project is a Martinsyde Scout, and there is a WIP thread here, in the WWI GB:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964048-martinsyde-s1-scratch-build-in-172/

The Blenheim is still on the hob, but has gone to the rear again. When I feel like wrangling the Falcon turret, it will be done. Thanks for remembering it.

Old Man, I was originally just going to "like" your post, because what could I possibly say about your work, and how could I lay any claim to judging it -- even to say I think it's incredible, which I feel it is -- when your skills are so superior to mine? But I decided I had to say something, because I think your work is absolutely splendid; the artistry on display here, coupled with your astonishing ability to scratchbuild these fragile-looking aircraft, is nothing short of amazing.

I appreciate your kind words, Sir.

I am glad I was able to help out a little with your current S.E.5a/Camel project.

Beautiful collection, OM, and all of them to the very high standard we've come to expect of your work.

There are a few there I've not seen before, thanks for posting them!

Ian

What an amazing collection! They are all superb, but my favorite is the Maurice-Farman MF.11--something about the colors, shape, or maybe that huge camera--very cool!

Very inspirational! Thanks for posting them!

I can only echo what others have already said... fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I especially like the Short 827, it looks like it would antagonise the air rather than fly through it (I know some-one else said this about another type but it seems apt).

(edited to correct spelling)

Thank you, Sir. I am very fond of the Short as well, because it has an extremely out of the ordinary history, having gone to Basra by way of Zanzibar and operating in a doomed campaign once there. The cowling panels were off to facilitate cooling, and it would look a bit sleeker with them on. And being off the floats must count as some improvement in regard to drag.

GASP :blink2:

Great War machinery isn't really my bag,but you've certainly got the touch for'em OM.

They're fantastic. :partytime:

BTW,I have an Airfix Tiger Moth and a Dragon Rapide to do,I might just have to ship 'em

out to you for rigging :D :D :D .

Thank you, Sir. I am glad you took a look, and enjoyed the view. If there was some way to arrange the shipping, I would be happy to do the rigging....

I have a Rapide on hand myself, but am thinking of trying a conversion to the earlier straight wing 84, used as a bomber/transport in Iraq.

What a superb collection of some real rarities. Some strange looking beasts in there. I havethe Morane N as my laptop wallpaper in combat with a couple of Eindeckers.

Glad you like them, Sir. The Morane N is an old favorite of mine as well, one of those things you expect to have done better than they did. The prototype differed noticeably from the production model. Gilbert was an associate of Garros before the war, and the prototype was personally delivered to him by the company after the former was shot down and captured, hence the 'Avenger' on the fuselage.

I'm almost speechless, they are all beautiful. I find WW.1 aircraft so fascinating in the design variations and your collection show this very well.

Top quality work, and great choice of subjects.

Thanks for posting,

John

Thank you, Sir.

It is one of the features of the era that there was no consensus about what would make for the best aeroplane, hence people could try more or less whatever came to mind and find at least some backing for it. Nowadays everyone knows the parameters and is working so close to the margins it is pretty hard to tell anything from anything else....

These are all stunning.!!!! :gobsmacked:

Thank you very much, Sir!

What an amazing collection of very fine hard work - they are truly magnificent - my favourite is your RE8 which brings back happy memories of the BBC's 1970's "Wings" which had BE2c's I think

top marks all round

Glad you like them, Sir. For all the flaws of the Airfix R.E. 8 kit, the company deserves a lot of credit for bringing it out, and keeping it in production for so long. It is the only mainstream kit in 1/72 of a 'working' two-seater from the Great War, one which did the rounds of spotting for the guns and taking the pictures, without any dedicated fighter duties as well. Here is a link to what I did to rectify the kit into the model presented:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234920871-airfix-re-8-172-with-some-corrections/

Beautiful collection, OM, and all of them to the very high standard we've come to expect of your work.

There are a few there I've not seen before, thanks for posting them!

Ian

Thank you, Sir. I am glad you like them. It was fun pulling them all together into a single presentation.

What an amazing collection! They are all superb, but my favorite is the Maurice-Farman MF.11--something about the colors, shape, or maybe that huge camera--very cool!

Very inspirational! Thanks for posting them!

I am glad you like them, Sir, particularly the Farman. I like the old pusher machines, and wish they were better represented in kit form. The Farman in particular was an extremely important aeroplane, and the company's designs predominant for a long time in French service.

Stunning work. Can't add anymore to what's already been said. My personal favourites are the Breguet U.1 and the R.E.8.

Thank you, Sir. The 'single spar' Breguet is my favorite, and in a literal sense I consider it my masterpiece in scratch-building, the one, as I said, which left me convinced I could build anything. The R.E. 8 was certainly a labor of love, and in the post above you can find a link to its WIP thread; the alterations were extreme....

Absolutely Amazing ! Fantastic work there !

Thank you very much, SiR. I am glad you liked them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I echo everything that has been said, it is a wonderful collection, superbly done. There is something about the diversity of shapes and ideas at the beginning of a new 'era' of technology that gives subjects so much character, and you have shown us the way.

Thanks again Sir, for showing them.

All the best, Ray

A large collection of truly inspirational models, top work!

\

'Those magnificent men in their flying machines, they go up diddly up up....'

Seriously, I kneel before thee Sir Turnbuckle, Lord of the rigging

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Inspiring, truly inspiring!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Thank you all very much, Gentlemen. I appreciate your interest in these. And yes, I kind of like to rig....

• Like 1

Just returned from several weeks in the UK & look what slipped me by, being off the net for most of that time, like WOW, these are simply fantastic, beautifully modelled, beautifully presented & beautifully described. Thanks Olf Man, I've enjoyed them a heap. :)

Steve.

Hello, I echo everything that has been said, it is a wonderful collection, superbly done. There is something about the diversity of shapes and ideas at the beginning of a new 'era' of technology that gives subjects so much character, and you have shown us the way.

Thanks again Sir, for showing them.

All the best, Ray

Thank you, Sir. You have put your finger on one of the reasons I prefer the elder periods: back then, you could get a serious argument going about about just what a proper aeroplane ought to look like. Modern planes all look pretty much alike, at least within the same category of function, because the engineering questions are all settled, and everyone is working as close to the limits of these and the materials available as they can.

Incredible!

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thank you, Sir.

Wow, you know you have made it when you can turn out models like that, impressive to say the least and a little history with each one to round it off.

Gary.

Being old and having uninterrupted time accordingly certainly helps, Sir. I am glad you like them.

What a great collection and worthy of a dancing banana.....

nana2.gif

Much appreciated, Sir.

Just returned from several weeks in the UK & look what slipped me by, being off the net for most of that time, like WOW, these are simply fantastic, beautifully modelled, beautifully presented & beautifully described. Thanks Olf Man, I've enjoyed them a heap. :)

Steve.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Sir. I appreciate the kind words.