Question about British Harrier GR.7/9

Cezarek

Dear Modelers.

I would like to ask you for some advice regarding British Harrier GR.7/9. I am building a Harrier from Hasegawa 1/48 set and

I would like to attach two Paveway LGB's under her wings. The first problem is that I am not sure which targeting pod I should use in connection to mentioned LGB’s (TIALD, Sniper…)?

Another question is where I should hang this targeting pod? On one of underwing pylons, on the centreline pylon under the fuselage or instead of one of gun pods (I have already attached both gun pods under the fuselage and I am afraid that it will be very difficult to remove anyone of them)?

Any advice would be welcome.

Best regards from Poland.

Cezary

Dear Modelers.

I would like to ask you for some advice regarding British Harrier GR.7/9. I am building a Harrier from Hasegawa 1/48 set and

I would like to attach two Paveway LGB's under her wings. The first problem is that I am not sure which targeting pod I should use in connection to mentioned LGB’s (TIALD, Sniper…)?

Another question is where I should hang this targeting pod? On one of underwing pylons, on the centreline pylon under the fuselage or instead of one of gun pods (I have already attached both gun pods under the fuselage and I am afraid that it will be very difficult to remove anyone of them)?

Any advice would be welcome.

Best regards from Poland.

Cezary

It would be the Sniper pod which fits on a special strake hard point on the port gun position

Dependent upon the time frame, you can use either TIALD or Sniper. TIALD was used up until the deployment of IV Squadron in 2007.

This image (as will be seen from its properties) is borrowed from another thread on here, started by Goose (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44128-harrier-gr9/)

RAF_Harrier_GR91-1.jpg

As you'll see, the Harriers started carrying the TERMA counter-measures pod on the other station normally used for the Lift Improvement Device/strake or (empty) gun pod in about 2008.

The LIDs weren't always carried, so you might - particularly if you used a TIALD - manage to get away with surgery to remove just one of the gun pods; the following link will take you to a photo of a Harrier in that configuration.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=118526&d=1143379337

(I've not embedded it because of the size of the image)

Finally, if you can't get the gun pods off, you do have the option of doing a GR7 over the former Yugoslavia - when Op DELIBERATE FORCE took place (1995) , the Harrier hadn't been cleared for use of TIALD and a couple of Jaguars which had been fitted with the pod were used to designate for the Harriers .

Hello Cezary,

im going to build the Airfix Harrier GR.9 in 1:72 Scale next. Airfix does a really good job with this kit and it explains exactly the question, that you have. A beautifull source for informations is the SAM Modellers Datafile "RAF Harriers"

http://www.sampublications.com/books/modellers-datafile/the-bae-raf-harrier/prod_20.html

A lot of really sharp pictures of the planes from Harriers in Kosovo until Operation Herrick-Harriers. It is worth every cent.

Cheers

Which Paveway LGBs are you looking to load? The type of bomb will decide where they are loaded on the wing.

Also, don't forget that the UK's Paveways are all unique. Paveway II is a UK 1,000lb bomb with a Paveway kit, Paveway III looks like a GBU-24 with a BLU-109 warhead, but it has a different UK-specific tail unit. Paveway IV looks like a GBU-12, but it has a lot more 'stuff' on it.

Dear Modelers.

Thank you very much for all your answers. Unfortunately taking into consideration the way I glued both gun pods to the fuselage I am afraid that it will be impossible for me to remove them without making a lot of damages to the kit. My mistake but lessons learnt ;)

Additionally I was not aware of the differencies between British and US Paveway LGB’s. So I will probably have to finish the kit as GR.7 and have to choose another weapon option (maybe BL-755) or as XV107 wrote - the option used during Op. DELIBERATE FORCE -with LGB's but without any targeting pod.

And the last question regarding PHIMAT pods - I have found a picture of Harrier with PHIMAT pod under one wing. Till which year were PHIMAT pods carried by Harriers?

Thank you once again for your help.

Best regards from Poland

Cezary G