Is Airfix now being Politically Correct ?

Geoff_B

I have to confess to wondering whether there was an element of political correctness, or perhaps sensitivity would be a better word, behind the fact that Tamiya have never made a B-17 kit. I could be (and probably am) totally wrong

Tamiya's P-51 kits feature prominent Boeing licence permission on the boxes and the B-29 features extensively in Japanese modelling literature, art, box art and discussion.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM25148/Air

Fujimi produced a range of 1/144th scale B-29s and Eduard's 1/48th A-bombs are out of stock at HLJ so political sensitivity does not appear to be an issue.

Interesting point but Eduard provide them on their decal sheets. Check the decals and you will see the swastikas are produced in two halves (look like two S). Looks like that's how they get around it

Mike

Yes, that's a way to get around the regulations. For the non-german-market, they provide even the full swastika (which is sometimes on the corner of the decal sheet, "cut line" included. On the instructions however, they omit the swastica or render it unrecognisable. Same for the box art - no swastikas there.

Alex

Interesting point but Eduard provide them on their decal sheets. Check the decals and you will see the swastikas are produced in two halves (look like two S). Looks like that's how they get around it

Mike

good way to get around trademarks as well. ever heard about a tyre manufacturer called LOPDUN? ;)

Well, the RAF roundel has been trademarked by the MoD.

I thought that they attempted to trademark it, but were rebuffed when a number of manufacturers (e.g. Ben Sherman & Next) challenged this in court, arguing that it had been in such widespread use that it couldn't be subject to trademarking or copyright?

I lived in Germany for a while and, in the model club I attended there the swastika wasn't an issue. This also applied when we displayed in the local area.

Reading the Wiki I believe the law is aimed at preventing the proscribed symbols being used for political purposes. Section 3 exclusions would apply. However the swastika is copyright of the Federal Government and permission to use it commercially must be obtained. Revell decided not to seek this and others have simply followed.

BOT and I think we have to be careful about attributing reasons to commercial decisions. If we knee-jerk 'political correctness' when we notice something we don't like it becomes harder to spot a real instance when/if it occurs. For a comparison just look at how Harley Davidson sells it's bikes. A buyer fully intends to upgrade several stock components even before they've ridden the bike. As a result the customer gets exactly what they want.

In a kit I'd expect the type specific loads to be included whereas common items could be in separate sets so the builder can load up as they wish and have all the Mk 82 bombs for example look the same.

It's a strange hobby we enjoy after all.