1 72 Hasegawa F4-J Phantom II - Finished! (Page 22)

giemme

Hello Britmodellers;

here's my new project, the probably well known 1 72 Hasegawa F4-J Phantom II.

kit_zps48194f01.jpg

I'm moving out of my comfort zone here, as I normally build in 1 48 scale, but I got this kit at bargain price and I decided (after a very challenging RE2002 from Italeri) to try with this.

I intended to build this OOB, but then I got tempted along the way :devil: ... and I ordered the Eduard Pre-painted zoom set for the cockpit (hasn't arrived yet). Plus I sourced an old Eduard PE detail set at my local shop (sorry, forgot to take pics before starting cutting out pieces..)

PE_zps1cc70a2f.jpg

So I started with a quick dry-fit of the main parts:

dryfit9_zps0bc0b34b.jpg

dryfit11_zpscc6073d2.jpg

Fit is pretty good, a breath of fresh air compared to my previous build ... :)

Probably a couple of tricky points from what I can see now: main fuselage to wings join and main air intakes to fuselage.

Then it was time for som PE parts: first of all the speed brakes

ali_zps293b7bb0.jpg

The moving part is made of two pieces, and you have to conform it to the kit parts before proceeding

aerofreni_zpsfa1091d1.jpg

Then I removed the corresponding section on the wings

ali2_zps261d7434.jpg

The third PE part (sorry, I wouldn't know how to call this in English):

ali3_zps620b9029.jpg

ali5_zps2b819305.jpg

Other side, this shows a bit how I did it

ali6_zps28d9e84c.jpg

ali8_zps72e3e814.jpg

I've also added some PE details in the wheel bay area

ali9_zps5394ed10.jpg

Tail chute cover PE detail

codino_zps70ba5697.jpg

codino2_zps4af1271b.jpg

Next, it was time to start gluing the fuselage main section; I've added a reference tab to the lower part, to allow for a better alignment

fusoliera_dietro_zpsce7ba401.jpg

..which turned out to be useless, as I had to enlarge the first pin hole towards the front (you see the corresponding pin on the above pic, top right corner) to have a good fit, so the tab isn't touching the opposite fuselage half.

Gluing this per sections, trying to achieve a stronger adhesion:

fusoliera_dietro2_zps63c3a6b0.jpg

fusoliera_dietro3_zps2fc4970e.jpg

fusoliera_dietro4_zpsc58367c0.jpg

That's it for now. Comments, suggestions and any kind of tips are more then welcome.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Hi Stix, thanks for popping in. :speak_cool:

Can't quite compete with your pace, but I'm also considering a parallel figure painting project. Will see, I've already started some minor things on it but now I'm focused on this ... :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 1

Bit of an update; since the PE pre-painted set hasn't arrived as of yet :angry::rant: I went on with:

air intakes

intakes1_zpsd8338687.jpg

intakes2_zps53ed598f.jpg

From the second pic, you can see how Hasegawa's plastic is reacting to Tamiya's green cap glue. I cleaned everything now, but I'm not really happy with that...

Then wings: to get a better alignment, I had to insert some stripes of tape

ali10_zps565d2c6e.jpg

... and I had to glue them in various steps: here's the first one

ali11_zpscfb86054.jpg

and here's the final result (only one wing)

ali12_zps351fe8f5.jpg

Then it was time to start trimming the main fuselage: there was quite an annoying step between the two halves, and I still have more to do about that

fusoliera_dietro5_zpsea31c1d2.jpg

fusoliera_dietro6_zps2a61ec19.jpg

That's it for now

Ciao

• Like 2

Looks like there's a couple of issues with this kit! I'm sure you'll knock it into shape though. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement Stix, but this really seams a piece of cake compared to my previous build ... :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looks like there's a couple of issues with this kit!

I think "issues" is an overstatement. There are a several challenging areas, but nothing that a little trial fitting and adjustment can't handily "fix". (I've built more Hasegawa Phantoms than I care to admit). :tapedshut:

Giemme - the Tamiya cement is first class ... just touch a little to parts that have been joined, and hold them together with Tamiya tape until the glue sets. Apply it from behind (as in the intake shoulders of your build) when possible while holding the parts together. A good way to control the amount of glue is to trim the thread end of a sewing needle so that you end up with a "U" - dip that in the glue to pick a little up, and then touch against the joined parts to release the glue into the joint. Very "tidy", with no melted plastic oozing out from around the joint.

By the way, for your next Hasegawa Phantom build, keep handy that tape (that you used to build up the inner surface of the wing to eliminate the step) - you'll need it again when joining the vertical stab halves to avoid a step when you attach the fin cap.

BUT

.. since you already glued that area, suggest you pry it open and insert a small sliver of plastic.

Gene K

• Like 1

I think "issues" is an overstatement. There are a several challenging areas, but nothing that a little trial fitting and adjustment can't handily "fix". (I've built more Hasegawa Phantoms than I care to admit). :tapedshut:

Giemme - the Tamiya cement is first class ... just touch a little to parts that have been joined, and hold them together with Tamiya tape until the glue sets. Apply it from behind (as in the intake shoulders of your build) when possible while holding the parts together. A good way to control the amount of glue is to trim the thread end of a sewing needle so that you end up with a "U" - dip that in the glue to pick a little up, and then touch against the joined parts to release the glue into the joint. Very "tidy", with no melted plastic oozing out from around the joint.

By the way, for your next Hasegawa Phantom build, keep handy that tape (that you used to build up the inner surface of the wing to eliminate the step) - you'll need it again when joining the vertical stab halves to avoid a step when you attach the fin cap.

BUT

.. since you already glued that area, suggest you pry it open and insert a small sliver of plastic.

Gene K

Gene, thank you very much for your help. As for the glue, I agree Tamiya is first class, but it does react differently on, say, Italeri's plastic as opposed to Hasegawa's. I was able to clean out (quite) properly the area, but I think your advice about the sewing needle it's going to be very helpful in the proceeding of my build :speak_cool:

As for the vertical stab: you're totally right, stupid me that didn't dry test it before gluing the fuselage halves together. However, I didn't glue the specific portion where the fin cap is supposed to lay on, so I'll probably be able to fit in a spacer.

Thanks again

Ciao

Here we go, Monday update after some work done during the week end (not much, it was warm and sunny here, so ... :coolio::drink: )

Gene's advice turned out to be very helpful; luckily, as I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't glue the top part of the fin, which ended up in being already "split" in some way, so no actual spacer needed (just a bit of tidying up).

Fin cap:

fincap2_zpsd36bcbdd.jpg

fincap1_zps5485a654.jpg

fincap3_zps24d68199.jpg

(sorry, don't know what happened with the first pic)

I reworked a bit the underside of the tail

coda_zpsedbfbd7c.jpg

Outer wings glued to main wings, plus some tidying up

ali16_zps5e69d672.jpg

ali19_zps4ec1dc4d.jpg

ali20_zpsa4fe9355.jpg

Added a small detail (using Tamiya tape) to the tail chute cover, ready for priming:

codino3_zpsc9c6204b.jpg

That's it for now. Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4

Giemme,
nice work ...
I'm a fan of Phantom and this box, I built 2
one of the VF31 and one of the RAF ...
if you are interested I'll put the link where you can see the WIP

I followed your link ... is this the same 1 72 kit? :wow: At first glance, it looked like 1 48, and superbly detailed. Looks like I'm going to need your advice here, too. Stay tuned

Grazie e a presto

Ciao

Nice update - thanks for the excellent pictures!

Here's another comment for a future build, if you do another:

The ailerons on the F-4 started slowly drooping down after the engines were shut down and hydraulic pressure started bleeding off, as shown here (exaggerated - that's extreme):

f-4c_25_of_37.jpg

In that regard, what can be done is shown here:

AileronDroop.jpg

Be careful bending the aileron down so as not to snap the plastic. After the aileron is bent down and glued on the bottom, a light line can be inscribed on the top wing surface.

As an over-the-top aside, note that the fuel dump mast (the flat section between the outboard edge of the aileron and the outer wing panel) is "separated" as shown in the top picture - that is, do not fill that seam, but rather separate it.

Please don't take my comments as being critical - I love the F-4 and am sharing some trivia that may be useful (or not) on another of your excellent builds.

Gene K

• Like 1

Please don't take my comments as being critical - I love the F-4 and am sharing some trivia that may be useful (or not) on another of your excellent builds.

Gene K

Gene, thank you very much, I totally appreciate your comments here, no doubt about that :thumbsup2:

Coming to the point: I had considered working on the movable surfaces (ailerons, rudder ...) but being this my first go at a jet in 1 72, I was very scared of screwing up badly, so I limited it to what (and not all) the PE parts would allow (i.e. speed brakes). I'll be definitely doing more F-4s, so maybe next time I'll risk something more.

As for the fuel damp mast: got it, it's an easy fix, as I used a water based putty there; thanks for pointing that out and for the pic, very clear.

Ciao

are all in 1/72
Hasegawa F4J UK
Fujimi all other
the same link you will find both photos and WIP
sorry...
this is the link of F4J VF 31
ciao

Silvano, sorry, this link isn't working. It redirects me to the Flickr login page.

Ciao