Now a Collectors Item - Box Top New Tool 1/72 Airfix Lightning F.6! (First Edition)

Uncle Dick

I just posted this on the Aussiemodeller International Forum and thought I would share it here as well:

Before my email to Airfix (All you first edition box top owners can thank me later for creating a true collectors item :D and appreciation in price!)

a05042.jpg

and now after my email, this from the official Airfix site - don't know when the box top reprint kicks in, so grab the old ones while you can!

a05042_1.jpg

In case you need glasses or cannot spot the difference they "omitted" the tail planes in the first edition box top of the new tool 1/72 F.6

• Like 5

I just posted this on the Aussiemodeller International Forum and thought I would share it here as well:
Before my email to Airfix (All you first edition box top owners can thank me later for creating a true collectors item :D and appreciation in price!)
a05042.jpg
and now after my email, this from the official Airfix site - don't know when the box top reprint kicks in, so grab the old ones while you can!
a05042_1.jpg
In case you need glasses or cannot spot the difference they "omitted" the tail planes in the first edition box top of the new tool 1/72 F.6

Well spotted need to go to specsavers I think ¬!!! regards Len

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has the original box top as well. Since the box top will be the collectable part, and not the kit, it is gonna be built.

It may just be my example, but I've noticed a lot more flash than on my F.2A's. One aileron is short molded as well.

And the two closed main gear covers have noticable sink marks in the middle - not that those concern me, since I generally build gear down, but perhaps an issue for in flight builders.

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Dalea,

Personally, I would agree with Hook: Since the collectible thing is the boxtop, the kit could be built. But if you mean to keep it in "mint condition" (I will) just buy another and throw in the plastic inside the "collectible" box. No one would tell.

Fernando

Picked one up at the Canadian Maple Leaf Modellers' show in Bühl the other weekend. It has the original, exotic artwork on the box.

Callooh callay, the canopy transparencies are fine, but one of the Red Top fins is short shot. I noticed this on some of my F2A kits too, but with judicious juggling I should have suitable missilry for my Alley Cat conversions. On the assumption that one can't have too many Lightnings, I'll also keep my eyes open for when my plastic pusher of choice (hallo Bernd!) has the Sword single seaters in the shop.

• 1 year later...

Anyone seen the Airfix 1/72 Lighning F.6 with tail planes on the actual box kit yet ...?

I purchased 2 a few months back from Hannants and they were still without the tail planes on the box art.

Tongue in cheek - perhaps it will be a New Release for Airfix 2017! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Mine has the original box top as well. Since the box top will be the collectable part, and not the kit, it is gonna be built.

It may just be my example, but I've noticed a lot more flash than on my F.2A's. One aileron is short molded as well.

And the two closed main gear covers have noticable sink marks in the middle - not that those concern me, since I generally build gear down, but perhaps an issue for in flight builders.

Cheers,

Andre

The F6 kit was like that right from the off, I had some from the very first batch and commented on all the flash and short shots at the time (I also had one kit with the bad canopy and one kit that had no clear plastic sprue at all!).

Duncan B

• Like 1

Anyone seen the Airfix 1/72 Lighning F.6 with tail planes on the actual box kit yet ...?

I purchased 2 a few months back from Hannants and they were still without the tail planes on the box art.

Tongue in cheek - perhaps it will be a New Release for Airfix 2017! :yahoo:

One in my stash.

P.k

• Like 1