TAMIYA 1/48th Republic P-47M-1-RE - Major Bostwick's Hotrod

Gentlemen,

I'd like to present one of the most relaxing builds I've ever tackled - TAMIYA's P-47M.

I have to admit that the P-47 has never been my bag, but when TAMIYA released their P-47M back in 2005, I couldn't turn it down any longer. The opportunity to depict Bostwick's mount in its highly unusual livery was far too beckoning.

Republic P-47M-1-RE, TAMIYA 1/48

Maj. George E. Bostwick, 63rd FS, 56th FG, Boxted, UK

P2260006_zpsbf678c19.jpg

TAMIYA's range of quarterscale P-47 kits has enjoyed an excellent reputation as to accuracy, overall detailing and ease of assembly. And citing from my experience, it thoroughly lived up to its reputation.

The kit was built straight out of the box, except for LionRoar photoetched seatbelts.

P2260005_zps83f003f6.jpg

Painting and weathering:

My goal was to achieve a rather clean, yet slightly faded overall finish depicting only very little wear and tear.

The P-47M's career was quite short and being initially hampered by severe teething problems, many of the new P-47M were kept grounded nicknaming them "hangar queens". During the last weeks of the war, they just didn't have the time to "patinate".

P2260001_zps50525746.jpg

The 56th FG's non-standard colours are subject to recurring discussions among modellers, so I tried to replicate the colouring solely relying on my Mk.I eyeball and rough estimation based on a few poor-quality photographs, hence mixing the shades from TAMIYA acrylics.

Being an "ad hoc" project, I conducted only little research on the subject. Accordingly, a small but distinctive detail escaped my eye: a large matte black trim right aft of the cowling's red nose band.

P2260008_zpsc62957bd.jpg

The model had been finished for months when a fellow modeller (rightfully) rubbed my nose in my mistake. I didn't fix it, and by now it's too late anyway - the model didn't survive my latest house move and doesn't exist anymore.

P2260002_zps67d0ccb6.jpg

The NMF undersurfaces and leading edges were painted using Aclad II "Duraluminum".

Fuel stains and streaks on the belly tank using Gunze Mr.HOBBY COLOR "Oil".

P2260009_zps67cc0afc.jpg

Maybe she lives on as a yoghurt cup...

Karma, baby!

Cheers,

Erik

Edited by Airfixer
  • Like 20

• 4 weeks later...