Scottish Independent Air Force/Navy/Army

Albeback52

We are however watching, so let's not let it get out of hand so that we have to lock yet another topic, eh? :shrug:

Right - on with the show. Will there be any modelling involved? :hmmm:

Thanks for your tolerance Mike. Appreciated. . Yes, there will be modelling involved ! :D I've kind of stuck my neck out here but, I always put my money where my mouth is. I'm pleasantly surprised with the responses recieved and, I'm very glad it has all been kept light hearted and very much in the spirit intended. Lots of suggestions & I laughed at the Folland Midge!! I don't think ANYONE or anything can stand against the infamous Scottish Midge. Why do you think the Romans gave up in Scotland?? :lol: . Anyway, lots of very helpful suggestions. Once I've decided how to proceed I will post back. I'm not really interested in any particular timeline. I've narrowed my choices down to 3 orders of battle - Denmark, Norway & the Czech Republic. All nations with broadly similar populations & economies

Allan

• Like 2

nonononoNO ! Nessie is not any sort of dinosaur. Nessie is a plesiosaur. :bleh:

Hi Enzo,

Na, you took it out of context my mate, Dino wasn't an abbreviation of 'Dinosaur'

it's her / his name as in the 'Flintstones' come on, keep up at the back!! :analintruder:

I DO like John's idea though, an alcoholosaur, that's why the scientists can't find her,

Loch Ness introduces an alcoholic haze........................... :yikes::Tasty::cheers::drink::clap2:

Radleigh, before you can subscribe, you've got to have a go at drinking the bar,

and as this 'bar' is 700' deep............. :elephant::beer:

Paul

I DO like John's idea though, an alcoholosaur, that's why the scientists can't find her,

Loch Ness introduces an alcoholic haze........................... :yikes::Tasty::cheers::drink::clap2:

As does Campbeltown Loch. <waits to see who gets that reference>

• Like 1

Only got into thinking about markings today so, just for the fun of it:

From Wiki:- "As the personal banner of the Sovereign, use of the Royal Banner of Scotland is restricted under the Act of the Parliament of Scotland 1672 cap. 47 and 30 & 31 Vict. cap. 17, and any unauthorised use of such is an offence under the Act.[5].

Leuchars Target Facilities Flight (scroll to the second image): http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2184

Saltire:

No. 151 Sqn: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000534709.html

Claudio

Edited by ClaudioN

Only got into thinking about markings today so, just for the fun of it:

Leuchars Target Facilities Flight (scroll to the second image): http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2184

I'm sure that backwards Lion Rampant is not allowed under heraldic rules, regardless of whether or not it's a Royal Standard.

British Railways got into similar bother in their early days - if Enzo Matrix is around he can supply more details.

They used to sell those Royal Banner of Scotland flags at the seaside for kids to stick in their sandcastles.I remember getting one and my kids too.

No, not at the same time either.

I'm sure that backwards Lion Rampant is not allowed under heraldic rules, regardless of whether or not it's a Royal Standard.

British Railways got into similar bother in their early days - if Enzo Matrix is around he can supply more details.

That's true. It depends on whether the marking is a "symbol" or a "device". Devices are registered with the Royal College of Heralds. As such they are only allowed to be used in the manner in which they were registered. The second symbol used by British Railways was nicknamed the "lion on a unicycle".

320px-The_first_emblem_of_British_Railwa

British Railways painted it so that the lion always faced forwards. Hence:

170px-BR_emblem_(6887463889).jpg

The third symbol was nicknamed the "ferret and dartboard".

British_Railways_1956_logotype.jpg

However, this one was registered as a device with the Royal College of Heralds. British Railways painted this so that the lion was again facing forwards on both sides of the locomotive. The Royal College pointed out that this was actually unlawful as the device on the right hand side had been defaced. British Railways had to repaint them all so that the lion faced to the left on the right hand side of the engine.

The fourth symbol also caused a few problems.

432px-BR-logo.svg.png

Paint shops got confused as to which way the arrows should be pointing, so for some years after its introduction one could see the top arrow pointing to left or right.

No one seemed to be too bothered that a line with an arrow on it is the mathematical symbol for a vector. Two vectors of similar magnitude pointing in opposite directions tend to cancel each other out, resulting in no movement whatsoever. Many people pointed out that this was a very appropriate symbol for BR during the 1970s... :lol:

• Like 1

Some great ideas coming through and an excellent well balanced discussion going on gang :goodjob:

Personally I favour a simple blue and white roundel with the saltire as tail marking although the blue roundel with white St. Andrew's cross comes a close second.

Can see me doing a whif Typhoon now in such markings :)

That's true. It depends on whether the marking is a "symbol" or a "device". Devices are registered with the Royal College of Heralds. .. :lol:

In an Independent Scotland, presumably Lord Lyon King of Arms would have become completely separated from the rest of the Royal College. Just what we need - further complexity!

In an Independent Scotland, presumably Lord Lyon King of Arms would have become completely separated from the rest of the Royal College. Just what we need - further complexity!

Wot? The Lyon King? :D

A device of an animal/beast/person may face any direction.

Under old Heraldic rules a device of arms was reversed only when the owner was in disgrace, or had committed treason, however...a big but, the trapping on a horse normally would carry the owners device the same way as his shield or sur-coate, if the device was a lion or leopard normally facing the right of the shield [in heraldry the right and left are as seen by the holder], this means on the left side of the horse the lion faces the correct way, forward, but on the right it would face the tail, indicating retreat or cowardice, so the lion is reversed so it faces forward.

On the aeroplane in the picture the two lions on the port side should be facing forward and the two on the starbrd side reversed to also face forward - if following heraldic rules, but these rules are frequently broken as they are guides only.

• 3 months later...