Scottish Independent Air Force/Navy/Army

Albeback52

I wonder how long it will be before this topic gets locked.

Good look though as I know your likely serious about this a d your Whifs are always cool.

How about alphajet for the advanced trainer

Cheers Rob :)

As long as it stays light hearted and doesn't go near the "P" word the Mods shouldn't have to get too worried. ;)

Now, for my own take, I agree with bzn20. Taking into account all the financial shenanigans likely to ensue, aiming to emulate Eire is the best plan to use.

Mike. :)

We are however watching, so let's not let it get out of hand so that we have to lock yet another topic, eh? :shrug:

Right - on with the show. Will there be any modelling involved? :hmmm:

• Like 2

Irrespective of the reallity of how the situation shakes out, with all the assorted financial issues, there's some interesting "whiffage" to be had in considering how an independent Scotland might paint up aircraft. National markings alone would be an interesting diversion (thistle? Lion rampant? Either would allow a full-colour and low-vis tactical version), or repaints to celebrate defining historic events - I'm pretty sure a Typhoon marked up to commemorate Bannockburn could be a real eye-catcher.

A roundel with a thistle in the middle would look quite nice, and follow the Canadian, NZ & Aus styles

I fear a thistle would be too complex a shape to be represented adequately within the outer ring - unless it was one of the stylised ones, as TV stations and such use, and that wouldn't be distinctive enough to match those other roundels for effect.

Scotland has a nice, bold national symbol ready for use in the form of the saltire. Countries like Burma and Mexico, and more importantly Poland, have already paved the way for national markings not to be round. There's a lingering risk of confusion with the saltires of the Spanish Nationalist marking that persists on their aircrafts' rudders, or the Russian Navy flag. But that hasn't been a problem for, say, all the Middle Eastern countries that use a black-white-red theme, or the African ones that rely on green-yellow-red.

Here's another possibility, though. Italy's sports teams play in blue and white even though their flag is green, red and white. Spain plays in blue and red while theirs is yellow and red. In both cases it's because they have older colours than those of the national flags. So Scotland could, conceivably, use the lion rampant. Luxembourg's markings (on NATO E-3s) show that heraldic symbols in all their detail can work. Or it could be something stylised in yellow and red.

Or they could take the Costa Rican route and decide to spend the money on something else entirely...

The RSAF (ooh, er there is another one already isn't there - perhaps RScAF but sounds like a degree from a polytechnic!) could use the Lion Rampant as long as Scotland remained a monarchy as its the personal symbol of the Queen. Unauthorised use is technically an offence though one might have never known that given the tacky tourist shops all over Edinburgh

From Wiki:- "As the personal banner of the Sovereign, use of the Royal Banner of Scotland is restricted under the Act of the Parliament of Scotland 1672 cap. 47 and 30 & 31 Vict. cap. 17, and any unauthorised use of such is an offence under the Act.[5]. In 1978 a St Albans linen merchant, Denis Pamphilon, was fined £100 daily for usurpation of the banner on decorative bedspreads until he desisted, and both Rangers F.C. and the Scottish National Party have been admonished by the Court of the Lord Lyon for their improper and non-authorised use of the banner.[20] Despite such action, the flag continues to feature on a variety of merchandise and souvenirs produced commercially for Scotland's economically important tourism industry."

What if a republican movement took root as well? The Lion Rampant national marking might be looked on as an interim measure by some. How about stretching the Whiify scene to a Scottish civil war between republicans and monarchists? Cromwell tanks anyone??

• Like 1

type Scottish Air Force into google images search & see some nice EE Lightnings! The Scotts gov could buy back all the thunder city stuff & intercept Russian Bears like the old days!

If you wanted something in a roundel, what about a unicorn. It is the national animal of Scotland.

If the Australians could get a kangaroo in a roundel and the New Zealanders could get a kiwi in there, what's stopping the Scots from getting a unicorn into one?

• Like 1

Their national animal is imaginary? A myth? Oh dear.

Just had a thought.....

What about our RAF roundel, red and white from England,Wales and N.Ireland what happens to the blue? It's Scottish! Now what?

• Like 1

HA! :bleh:

I see your Unicorn and your sinister, (looks left rather than to the Dexter, right) Lion rampant

and raise you Scotland's oldest resident (you lot can fill in the blanks! :hypnotised:) I'm thinking Nessie, or 'Dino in a puddle' :wicked::jump_fire:

Paul

I'd imagine someone in Holyrood already has an outline plan that we may or may not become privy to after Friday morning but until then this is fun :D Nice choice of subject.

Think the blue & white saltire looks the part as either a roundel or rectangle and I suggest 602 & 603 Sqn. are reformed as the basis for any airforce we have.

• Like 2

Rob I like it or as a rectangle or square one ..

Thomas

Thanks I feel it needs something else but simple is always best.

As far as I know there is no red on the Scottish colours however perhaps adding some American style bars either side with an infill of various tartan or clan colours and symbols dedicated to squadrons could cool.

I don't know much about these however. Feel free to have a dabble if you fancy.

Could add that splash of colour and be also kind of reminiscent of hunter / lightning style roundels

• Like 1

The white cross is a little too close to the roundels the Condor Legion wore, so might be a bit iffy if anyone's paying attention to their history. If the cross is to be used, a flag would draw no comparison. I think that Gordon's rendition of the thistle looks ok, but it could probably do with a little extra detail :)

• Like 1

The white cross is a little too close to the roundels the Condor Legion wore, so might be a bit iffy if anyone's paying attention to their history. If the cross is to be used, a flag would draw no comparison. I think that Gordon's rendition of the thistle looks ok, but it could probably do with a little extra detail :)

I was a little worried it might look like something else I'm not well up on that part of history or much history.

Just could not resist a bit of photoshop playing.

If its related to anything dodgy please remove and accept my apologies.

Just seemed an obvious and simple choice to me but it reminds me of the no stopping sign on duel carriageways only the cross is red and outlined.

Cheers Rob :)

Oh god I walked into that one ,,,, just looked up condor legion . Never heard of it.

Looks like theirs was black at least mine is blue.

And there was me thinking it looks like a road sign !

Please delete an sorry :(

I dont think it matters what other old now defunct marking it may slightly resemble. South Vietnam's star n bars was a different coloured version of the US one. Vaious Warsaw pact countries used variations of the red star.