Airfix Avro Lancaster 1/72 RF181 of 12 Sqn RAF - FINISHED

Well I see we are off and quite a few builds are already in progress so here goes:

The kit: I've chosen one of the Lancasters in my stash (I wonder if I will, one day, complete any of the others), in this case Airfix's 1/72 Lancaster from the BBMF gift set (also might give me an excuse to do the 2 Spitfires as well :) ).

The aircraft: as mentioned in the GB Chat I plan to do Lancaster RF181 PH-G of 12 Squadron based at RAF Wickenby.

The history: RF181 was, according to my references, one of a batch of Lancasters built by Armstrong Whitworth and was delivered to 12 Sqn at RAF Wickenby and was one of 12 Lancasters to carry the markings PH-G with 12 Sqn. At 17:16 on 16 Mar 45, PH-G lifted off from Wickenby on a mission to Nurnburg and was one of 24 Lancasters shot down that night. The pilot, Fg Off D Dickey, was one of two of the crew to survive after the aircraft exploded; both he and the bomb aimer F/S Henry were captured and became prisoners of war. After the war Fg Off Dickey went on to be an English master at a school in Bedford where he taught an impressionable Pulfrew (Jnr).

If anyone has any photos of RF181 (highly unlikely I'm guessing) or of any PH marked Lancasters of 12 Sqn from the 44/45 era, that would really help with trying to make my build look authentic. I know 12 used some non-standard markings earlier in the war but I think this was over by the end of the war. Thanks in advance.

The obligatory parts photos:

image_zpsb435e7fc.jpg

image_zps7121aedf.jpg

Oo'er there are lots of bits!! Now all I need is some time to start building; I'm off on holiday for a week first!! :)

• Like 1

So whilst the car is in being serviced and I have a day off I thought I would start on some preparation. Today has been mostly spraying stuff black. Lots of black! I've used 1 whole jar of XF1 already and I haven't even started on the large black bits!!

Also remembered to turn the page on my calendar in the "Cave" - seemed somehow appropriate; maybe a good omen?!

1D587562-EF5E-4C39-8304-888C28858ABB_zps

D4B3549F-6C86-4B45-866E-3C09437EDBA2_zps

But that's it for a while, I'm off for a few days away from home :) ; back soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally I've managed to crack on a bit with my Lanc. Have to say I've been a little disappointed with the fit of the fuselage. Probably my fault for not dry fitting the fuselage halves first but it has been frustrating to get a good join. That and, as has already been mentioned in one of the other topics, the danger of snapping the ends from the ''main spars". Still it is coming together..........slowly!!

B4BDC126-7ED9-4C62-8D99-B396DAC522BE_zps

7C3E4F80-006C-4BDB-B38E-F47ECB44DDEF_zps

• Like 2

Wings now going on and fuselage seams with a second coat of filler. Have to say I am very impressed with the join between wing and fuselage which will not require any filler, but getting the wing leading edges to come together has been a challenge! I recommend plenty of dry fitting, patience and sandpaper! Sadly I've run out of one of the three!!

EAC5F092-E0FD-404E-BE51-7BB2A34E8522_zps

3BABED41-A14D-4FC8-B2AC-DF0ECC484A98_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Engines and tail plane now fitted. I think that this Airfix kit is one of the better Lancs I have built. Detailing is very well done and the fit of parts is refreshingly slick. There is a little bit of cleaning up on the seams on some of the parts, but most just require a quick rub with some sandpaper.

03EBE24D-E1FF-4643-AE4D-B889959621E9_zps

44D3E5F9-74C9-4761-BFA8-E0C4D9EE3A17_zps

• Like 1

Its coming along well,...keep up the good work. When I built mine I had a lot of trouble with the seam along the top of the fuselage as it kept opening up so be careful and I hope it doesn`t happen to you.

I`m looking forward to seeing this one done,....are you doing the full set of codes behind the roundel in the 12 Sqn style? Xtradecal have released a 12 Sqn sheet which includes a Lanc but it probably isn`t the one that you are building. It also has a couple of Wimpeys, a Bucc and a Tornado.

Cheers

Tony

Looking back through this thread I realise I have been very remiss in responding to the comments from others; for this I apologise!

So to Chris J and FZ6: yes the Eduard cockpit bits are well worth the investment. They add a nice touch of accuracy, colour and detail which really add to the cockpit.

To Fritag: thank you and yes they do make modelling easy for us mere mortals (or who do not have the time and patience to match the skills displayed on your Chippie and JPs)!

To BBB: thanks.

To Tony: thanks as well and the top seam seems to be holding up so far; I did split the lower rear fuselage seam though! To answer your question, I was aware of the non-standard placement of the aircraft markings on 12 Sqn Lancs but believe that this had stopped by the time this particular Lanc entered service at the back end of the war.

• Like 1

No worries as long as you were aware that is OK,.....but are correct in saying that the unit reverted to a standard code arrangement later in the war,..so I`ll wind my neck in!

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

And whilst waiting for the paint to dry I thought I would have a go with the canopy masks. I know these are a bit of a cop out but the speed that I managed to mask up the whole canopy (rather than using tape) was well worth the cost. These ones are by Montex and went on really well. Nicely grippy but with enough movement to allow repositioning

31DA0573-2882-4D6F-916F-05D163E6E3FD_zps

• Like 1

Nice work on the painting Roland. I for one see no cop out on those canopy masks. I reckon masking that canopy with strips of tamiya tape is the sort of chore that I'd just never get around to starting..........:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...