Rebuilding a Revell 1/72 Lancaster- FINISHED

delta7

Hi all

A few years ago I built the revell 1/72 lanc

lanc1-1.jpg

but was never happy with the finish so I saw this GB and thought it would be a good chance to rebuild it to a better standard , I now have this

IMG_0247_zps14365644.jpg

I plan to re- build it as a Tallboy carrier from 617 squadron.

I realise it is more than 25% complete but there is a bit of work to do. If not suitable then no problems and good luck to all others here.

Edited by delta7

I have been working away slowly on this.

The main problems with my first build were poor seems and poor paintwork so I spent the first few days filling and sanding. I tried squadron green but this just wiped off with the sander so Im onto mr surfacer

IMG_0250_zps77c0426d.jpg

you can also see the results of the day spent cutting out and sticking the masks on - :banghead:

after this more sanding and cleaning up on the wings nacelles

IMG_0254_zps6f25a335.jpg

then I widened the top gun mount as after consulting pictures and drawings I felt I had made a mistake in mounting it the last time and this sat too high

IMG_0252_zps4a216977.jpg

today I spent mounting the quickboost replacement guns into the mounts

d2958fa7-831c-4770-928e-834be3235cf4_zps

next up will be putting the primer on, checking the seams again and rescribing some of the panel lines Iv removed so far

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings

Im a bit behind on this one, but have started to make progress again. aircraft was primed , seams checked and now reprimed-

still a bit rough around nacell to wing but a coat of mr surfacer should cure this.

wings not glued just on to show plane in full

IMG_1224_zps2f9f4fc0.jpg

pleased with tidy up of top seam

IMG_1225_zps47ff95ad.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Undercarraige on

IMG_1234_zps38411fb9.jpg

guns and gloss coat on

IMG_1235_zpsef8323bc.jpg

As usual something went wrong with the clear parts- I often get problems here- it looked like the undercoat had sprayed in or the glue had gone off. I had to pry a few off and clean up the insides. Im reluctant to try harder with the main canopy in case it splits so I mixed a small drop of tamiya smoke in with the varnish and this darkened the windows down enough to hide the worst of the mess. disappointing but not a deal breaker as it still looks ok overall

• Like 1

Dullcoat on and small bits and bobs added- lost the wing tip nav lights so filled with wood glue.

Im not weathering it as Im not very good and its hard to get the right tones for the exhaust stains across the wings- Ill practice on some scrap and if Im eevr happy then might go back to this.

OLD

lanc1-1.jpg

NEW

IMG_1261_zpsfe41ada3.jpg

MY 1/72 COLLECTION

IMG_1269_zpsf986cb79.jpg

Ill post more pics in the gallery, thanks to Tony for help and all for support in this build

Edited by delta7
  • Like 1