1/48 - Republic RF-84F Thunderflash by Tanmodel - released - CMK sets

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

We've been told that it's not likely that the RF-84F will be with us for Telford.

The UK RRP is going to be £38.95.

We had planned a show price of £35.00.

But!! If anyone wants to call by our stand and reserve a kit. We will gladly offer it at the show price, post free, no deposit required.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi

Cheeky request but is the offer available for those of us who can't make the show this year please?

Happy to pay in advance.

Thanks for considering.

Cheers

Chris

Ditto likewise

OK,

What I aim to do is ask anyone who wants to pre-order the RF-84 to either drop me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

Or they can drop by our stand at Telford to give me their details.

What I need is your name, address and either e-mail address or phone number.

Once the kits are on the way I'll drop you a message to say so. And once they arrive we can sort payment out.

The price will be £35.00 post free in the UK, at cost elsewhere.

The deadline for ordering with this deal will be midnight on 9 November.

I hope everyone feels this a fair way to sort it.

Also any traders looking for stocks can they contact me too.

Glenn

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking kit from a new manufacturer……I'm not a big fan of the F-84 fighter variant but I do like this recce version and can see a RNoAF example being added to my project list.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind an RF-84F, always liked the look of it, but I'm not to keen on what they've done here - the model looks like most of the panels are screwed on, which is of course incorrect and I'm sure they are meant to be rivets, but it just looks silly as they are only around the edge of panels with non in the middle! Either do an approximate layout of rivets or don't do any, it just looks wrong like this and reminds me of what Trumpeter have done on some kits. Anyway for those buy this kit just make sure you've got a good 'riveting' tool to add the rest.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind an RF-84F, always liked the look of it, but I'm not to keen on what they've done here - the model looks like most of the panels are screwed on, which is of course incorrect and I'm sure they are meant to be rivets, but it just looks silly as they are only around the edge of panels with non in the middle! Either do an approximate layout of rivets or don't do any, it just looks wrong like this and reminds me of what Trumpeter have done on some kits. Anyway for those buy this kit just make sure you've got a good 'riveting' tool to add the rest.

Why? The aircraft was flush riveted - I'll be filling them in.

I agree. The rivets should have been along the frames and longerons above all, not of the edges of the panels. IMHO the point of doing the rivets is to break uniformity but also to suggest the aircraft's skeleton so there's something not quite right.

Edited by Laurent

Why? The aircraft was flush riveted - I'll be filling them in.

You mean there isn't such thing as a recessed rivet? ;)

I said either no rivets or full rivets, the rivet holes are only there to show up where rivets are as flush rivets can still show (ideally we would have rings instead of holes, but that a bit much for 1/48th scale) and especially if you are doing a NMF aircraft. But good luck filling them.

Personally I'm not a big fan if rivets holes on kits smaller than 1/32 scale, but if they are well done I can live with them.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

You mean there isn't such thing as a recessed rivet? ;)

I said either no rivets or full rivets, the rivet holes are only there to show up where rivets are as flush rivets can still show (ideally we would have rings instead of holes, but that a bit much for 1/48th scale) and especially if you are doing a NMF aircraft. But good luck filling them.

Personally I'm not a big fan if rivets holes on kits smaller than 1/32 scale, but if they are well done I can live with them.

No there shouldn't be recessed rivets if they are they're either poorly formed or the wrong size rivet, most of the divots you see on kits would if scaled up to full scale, be requiring serious repairs on the real thing.

As for filling, that's what Mr Surfacer is for.

I won't be doing a NMF though, Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/PRU Blue for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Wez

No there shouldn't be recessed rivets if they are they're either poorly formed or the wrong size rivet, most of the divots you see on kits would if scaled up to full scale, be requiring serious repairs on the real thing.

As for filling, that's what Mr Surfacer is for.

I won't be doing a NMF though, Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/PRU Blue for me :thumbsup:

I was joking, I'm well aware of what rivets look like.

Obviously the point of rivets on kits are just to give the impression of the rivet, not to be a scale representation of the real thing, like a lot of things they are a compromise - we would need to do some serious work to get rid of all those panel lines that should be lap joints and the actual panel lines need to be a lot finer.

But yes filling the kit ones would look better on a painted a/c.

Edited by Tbolt

As far as rivets go, the real thing does have a lot of them, although most only can be seen from a close distance...i've recently taken a few pictures of an F84F at the brussels army museum in Belgium, it's in the "vietnam era" 3 tone cammo, and while the rivets on the top surface arn't all that apparent those on the light bottom surface do stand out quite a bit. washes are very fashionable lately, but i suppose if ommitted on the ammo surfaces, but applied to the bottom a very realistic representation can be made where rivets can only be seen on the top from close distance as on the real thing, where the ones on the bottom can be given a fairly heavy wash...

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

Edited by lunarhighway