Space:1999 Eagle DELUXE Edition from Round 2/MPC

Caerbannog

Stumbled across this today: Cult TV Man has a special limited edition of the Space: 1999 Eagle with Lab pod and booster pack announced. Still the basic Eagle kit will be the same and not a retooled one:

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Space1999-Eagle-DELUXE-Edition-from-Round-2MPC--4995--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_3004.html

Rene

If the kit hasn't been fixed, no matter how much extra resin boosters and lab module will fix the problems with the cages and spine. Waste of money IMHO.

Both these items are available separately in any case, along with other parts that will help make a much more studio accurate model, such as the PE set and some resin walkways that once you've cut open the body cages will make the internals look the job.

• Like 1

I share your view Kallisti and find it sad Round 2 did not take the chance to correct the many issues of the MPC kit or even better give us a new tool Eagle. Still some people seem to be OK with the kit and the resin boosters and lab pod edition may please some.

Rene

• Like 1

Funnily enough I did - in fact I bought 2 kits when they were first re-released and I plan on building one "out of the box" while the other gets given the full correction treatment, using the PE, fixing the spine, building/improving cages and scratch building the corridor details and so on.

One day I may even get around to doing it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy the deluxe issue keep the spine booster and RCS jets and junk the rest and it will still be cheaper than buying the Warp spine booster and not made from cheap nasty resin

Good idea, though the product description does say that the extra bits are resin.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle moulds are owned by Round 2 Andre, they have the rights to (and moulds of) MPC, AMT, Polar Lights, Lindberg and Hawk.

Paul Harrison

• 1 month later...

I would buy the deluxe issue keep the spine booster and RCS jets and junk the rest and it will still be cheaper than buying the Warp spine booster and not made from cheap nasty resin

If the price is right I'd buy it for the spine booster as well.

The price they are asking for the poor old Eagle kit is a bit steep.

If only someone would being out a 23" injection moulded Eagle kit, that would be heaven.

I saw the white metal spine made for a 44" Eagle once and that was appalling given the astronomical cost of the kit.

Not sure who produced it as I was just shown it quickly the one time by a fellow modeller. I was shocked how rough it was.

I have a very nice Chris Trice produced set of mouldings for a 23" Eagle Beak.

Shamefully I haven't built the rest of it yet.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a new IM Eagle kit given the popularity of Sci-Fi in Japan and Space 1999 in Italy.

This is the standard kit Don which is the same as the ancient and rather mishap Airfix Eagle, not the Deluxe with the additional resin boosters (which makes no difference concerning the IP parts).

For its age the Airfix Eagle can be build into a nice model but just because the original Eagle design is so good. The kit is overly simplified and some dimensions are wrong as well - the beak is too small and the spine has a wrong shape for example. If you want an accurate Eagle in this scale there is nothing but the Warp Eagle which is a pig to clean up (I had an earlier release and decided to sell it on instead of sanding me into oblivion) and the resin is not the best too (brittle and pinholes from my experience and from what I read). In other words I would love to see a new tool Eagle either "1:72" scale or even better in 23" - and to the standards of the Fine Molds Star Wars kits :pray:

Rene

His skills are really good and I do not question them ;-) Still he ends up with a toyish representation of this SciFi Icon (closed frame work, clearly too small beak are the most obvious to me). The die hard eagle fan might add that the red engine glow is not screen accurate as well ;-)

In the end it is the same as always: One can say "Thank you for producing a kit of this" or "why the hack did they not make an accurate kit of this so I would buy one (or more)". I think Round 2 missed a chance by not invest in a new tool kit - but of course from a salesman's point of view I might be wrong. And it would not do any good to my wallet as well...

Rene

I suspect the calculation went along the lines of "How much would a new more accurate tool cost" vs "How many MORE will sell if its accurate" vs "How many won't care its that inaccurate, its close enough to satisfy my nostalgia".

I'm contemplating a kit bash between this and the Warp kit, to use each kit to fix the failings of the other. The white metal casting of my Warp kit is truly awful, so I reckon the MPS plastic spine can be fixed to replace the white metal one. I'll do some measurements at some point in the future...

• Like 1

I suspect the calculation went along the lines of "How much would a new more accurate tool cost" vs "How many MORE will sell if its accurate" vs "How many won't care its that inaccurate, its close enough to satisfy my nostalgia".

I'm contemplating a kit bash between this and the Warp kit, to use each kit to fix the failings of the other. The white metal casting of my Warp kit is truly awful, so I reckon the MPS plastic spine can be fixed to replace the white metal one. I'll do some measurements at some point in the future...

im trying to work out where the cotton wool is coming into this diorama,lol

lol,looking forward to that one

don