New 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer

Julien

The fact that we have been asked for opinion and rescources is very welcome indeed, being new to the hobby it is nice to see the opinion of the purchaser being considered. I have decided to concentrate on RAF post war/cold war era so I for one would be intrested, as for other options I will leave that to the more experianced amoungst you.

Gary.

I'll submit that a Bucc kit really should include an open airbrake option in the box. Buccs much more often than not were parked with airbrakes open. Folded wings were common too but the RAF would often park them on the ramp with wings down, inner flaps dropped and airbrakes open. FAA would usually be airbrakes open and wings folded and more often had the inner flaps up. A folding nose option is much less important to have in the box in my opinion. It's a neat detail option but usually the nose was folded back for hanger storage but out on the ramp or deck for pre-flight readiness it would be closed up. As for stores I would suggest slipper tanks, a Martel fit (TV and AR with pylon adapters and data pod), rocket pods (FAA style and MATRA), 1000 lb bombs, LGB set up with pave spike pod, sidewinder, and then maybe practice bomb carriers (CBLS and older style), in that order of priority.

The RAF were not adverse to parking them with the wings folded.

Bucc004.jpg

Bucc002.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing them do a boxing specific to Buccaneers in RAFG service with markings to represent both light grey undersides and later wraparound schemes as well as pertinent weapons.

A recce pallet put in one of the boxings would be great too.

As for markings, I would like to see 216 Sqn. for sure as it was short lived and I'm not sure if ever touched by the aftermarket:

XV865216Sq6-82.jpg

net photo

I'd also like to see an arctic scheme in the mix as well.

Edited by upnorth

S2 Gulf War would be my choice as long as it 1/48

No point doing 1/72 I suppose as CMK have cracked that albeit at a price

Of course there's a point! CMK might well have cracked it but not everybody is willing or able to pay their price. Judging by their current standards Airfix are more than capable of matching CMK for quality, fit and finish in styrene as opposed to CMK's resin, which some people don't get on with.

Personally I think that Airfix could blow CMK out of the water as well as beating them on price and availability.

• Like 3

CMK haven't cracked it, whilst the detail parts and decal sheets are rather tasty I found the airframe halves not to match up due to shrinkage, and the actual surface detail to be faint and lacking.

So yes I too think Airfix can match and even beat CMK for a detailed Buccaneer, however this may be TanModel doing the kit suggested at the start of this thread, so we'll have to see how their first model comes out to get an idea on the detail and the quality of the proposed Buccaneer kit !

• Like 1

S2 Gulf War would be my choice as long as it 1/48

No point doing 1/72 I suppose as CMK have cracked that albeit at a price

'Albeit a price?!' You ain't kidding there CCC, you ain't kidding.

I have one in the stash, and I started to build one that I was given 5 or 6 years ago. I had to admit defeat. The resin was quite warped in places- most of which I could sort out with some hot water and general perusasion, but the intake shells were actually smaller than the fuselage and the upper and lower fuselage halves just wouldn't match...the panel lines had all but dissapeared too. I have though got a superb range of RAF ordnance in resin and some excellent decals!!

So, CMK may have cracked something, but that certainly isn't the 1/72nd scale Buccaneer market!

Bring 'em on - the sooner the better!!

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing them do a boxing specific to Buccaneers in RAFG service with markings to represent both light grey undersides and later wraparound schemes as well as pertinent weapons.

A recce pallet put in one of the boxings would be great too.

As for markings, I would like to see 216 Sqn. for sure as it was short lived and I'm not sure if ever touched by the aftermarket:

XV865216Sq6-82.jpg

net photo

I'd also like to see an arctic scheme in the mix as well.

I seem to recall 216 Sqn markings were on an Xtradecal sheet - many eons ago......

• Like 1

Anyone know if this a reissue of the Matchbox kit, don't remember if Revell had ever released it under their name before

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4902

Yep it is the Matchbox Buccaneer. How has it made that explosion with no ordnance or pylons to hang them off** ?

** There aren't any in the Matchbox Buccaneer of course. This is a re issue of the last time Revell put it out in a Matchbox box. Both options are for Desert Storm 1, subjects the Matchbox Buccaneer isn't really suitable for

Edited by chrisrope

I'd love to see a new 1/72 Buccaneer, for both personal and business reasons ( :2c::thumbsup: ). It's popular, the current kits are old and have their issues, and it's one of the best looking jets out there.

As for what flavour, I would suggest that it would be difficult to please everybody with one boxing, as there would be a lot of alternative parts included and a corresponding upwards creep in the cost per kit. Therefore, I would suggest that it be issued initially in two boxings: a Royal Navy S.2C/S.2D and a later Royal Air Force S.2B with Sea Eagle missiles and Lossiemouth era options. Later boxings could include early RAF S.2 (Laarbruch/Honington era), early RN S.2, Desert Storm S.2B, RAF special schemes S.2B, RAE S.2/S.2B, South African Air Force S.50 and Royal Navy S.1. If thought out sensibly, all options could do well.

Folding wings should be included, along with open airbrake. I'm not convinced on the need for an open nose cone, but good, representative weapons and stores should be included as well as imaginative decal options. For those aircraft with rotating bomb bays, interior detail for this should also be included.

So bring it on. Banana banana!

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

Somewhere I have a photo taken many years ago with my box brownie. You can just read the legend FLY NAVY writ along the open bomb bay door. Would be a nice decal to add if the particular aircraft can be tracked down. ca. 1960-65 at a rough guess.

Maybe alternative intake areas could allow to make both versions in a single kit?

As far as markings go:

Buccaneer S.2:

- XN980:233/V (the one that flew over Nelson's column in 1965)

- a 736 Sqn. machine in 1967 (bombing the Torrey Canyon)

- an 800 Sqn. tanker with suitable AAR pod

- an 809 Sqn. S.2D

- 12 Sqn. RAF in the early scheme with D-type roundels

- XV Sqn. - this would have to be 'F', "MacRobert's reply"

- a Red Flag bird in desert colours

There are lots of Desert Storm aftermarket decals around, but I guess including one would help marketing. XW533 "Miss Jolly Roger" is my preferred artwork.

A low-vis S.50 could also be an interesting subject.

I was actually just reading up on the bombing of the Torrey Canyon, apparantly 25% of the 42 bombs dropped by the RAF and Navy missed the giant, stationary oil tanker...?

High five on that one!! Still I'm pretty sure they were taking a lot of incoming fire... :)

I was actually just reading up on the bombing of the Torrey Canyon, apparantly 25% of the 42 bombs dropped by the RAF and Navy missed the giant, stationary oil tanker...?

High five on that one!! Still I'm pretty sure they were taking a lot of incoming fire... :)

In Desert Storm, F-117s attacking stationary targets with precision munitions achieved a hit rate of between 55 and 80%; sounds like the Buccaneers did pretty well for themselves.

• Like 2

Somewhere I have a photo taken many years ago with my box brownie. You can just read the legend FLY NAVY writ along the open bomb bay door. Would be a nice decal to add if the particular aircraft can be tracked down. ca. 1960-65 at a rough guess.

Many FAA Buccaneers had this in dayglo red in there bomb bay,at Culdrose a year or so before they disbanded an RAF one displayed my mouth feel open when it passed over with bomb bay open showing one of these FLY NAVY logos.

• Like 2

I am remembering some else promised 1/32 scale Buc but it seems to have disappeared from the net

Yes I have down loaded the pictures of it lovely kit with folding wings , air brakes open, cockpit highly detailed, engine section exposed looked like it was ready to go but no sign of it think Kitty Hawk now have the rights so may be. Cyber Hobby also have one in 1/72 for this year but no signs yet.