Photos of the Zvezda Il-62M!

From my Russian contact, the pics that have been posted are of a pre-release final test shot. They still have some final tweaks to do on the molding process to prevent sink marks, and apparently they're going to re-do the decal layout so it will actually fit in the box (something I'd think the decal artist would have taken into account, but what do I know?). Probably a few more weeks before they start showing up on shelves.

Hello to all,

All pics that have been posted in Scalemodels in-box review are of a final release. This kit is in sale now in Russia.

I prepared an English version (manually translated) of the review, which will soon be published in some online resources

and on this forum, after receiving approval from the administrator.

Edited by VMMaster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No Idea...I'm British living in Latvia and surrounded by Russian and Latvia which I don't understand...yet.

I had to get a new keyboard and it has standard and Russian text. There is a dollor sign but no pound. Also many non letters are in a different place playing havoc with my Flight Simulator model making due to the need to make keystroke assignments.

Never mind. I can always take a break watch the fighters overhead on a daily basis hunting for Bears of the non hairy kind.

How do you get on in day to day life without the language? Or do a lot there speak English?

Edited by bzn20

Not been here long

My wife is Latvian and speaks Latvian,Russian and English

We are in Valmiera but spend time in Riga where one of her sons lives. He is married to a Russian and he speaks Latvian and Russian. His wife speaks Latvian and Russian her mother and brother live there and her brother only speaks Russian and the mother Russian and German. The two kids are Latvian but go to a Russian school and neither of them can speak Latvian, only Russian.

My wifes daughter is somewhere else we spend time with. She is marriaed to a half fin/half Russian raised in Latvia and they live in Helsinki. They speak Russian, Finnish and Latvian and ther three kids speak Finnish, Latvian, Russian and English.

Me...I just get confused and make the odd jesture and grunt now and then.

When in Helsinki it's obvious the cat undersatnds what's said better than I do.

Not blessed with model shops in Latvia. Closest I've is in Riga and that's 103 KM away. Odd as it sells a pretty wide range of Russian and Polish makes alongside Airfix, Minicraft etc. but no Revell.!!

A few Supermarkets and toy shops have limited numbers of Airfix Starter sets and the odd Airfix Quick build.

Next time I go the Riga I'll take a look and see if I can pick up one of these IL-62. looks very nice.

I found a good shop in Helsinki but prices are were high. About a third more than the UK and up to twice as much as Latvia.

It will be interesting to see what the IL-62 goes for when it does appear in Latvia

If it's like most things here the instructions will be in about 15 languages but not English.... :banghead:

• Like 1

Gary.

I didn't expect that! That 15 languages and no English bit was the same when we lived in Spain. I bought loads of things as you'd expect but a Hi-Fi I'd bought had 10 books,one for a different lingo, not English though. It took 5 weeks for the shop to get me one and it was a photocopy of one they had at their head office in Madrid. Yet here in UK you cant find half the things you need to know on the back of some food packaging for all the other languages. Its all one way!

All the best with the coming Winter!

There it's Russian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Bellarussian, Urkrainian, Czech, and often some other ethnic former USSR languages..

The UK is a long wa away. Oddly though I bought a Yamaha music keyboard in Riga. Made in Japan but the manual was all in English with a small booklet pointing out the basics in Latvian, This was for the girl in Riga who speaks neither Latvian or English. So I had to go online and pring out the full 96 pages in Russian.

In the model shops there wee various offers on kits and of course procduct descriptions/ I could tell from the pics whiche were aeroplanes and those that were boats.

A few like the Japanese and of course US and British had English. The Eastern stuff proossibly did somewhere but no where of practical use. But at least the Euro is the currency so I get a good idea of value and how I know the RMS Queen Elizabeth at 35 Euros is over the top in Helsinki. Latvia is cheaper and one toyshop had a limited range ...about five...Italeri models. They had a Wessex and that was 6 Euro.

So hopefully when the IL-62 does arrive I'll try and go get one and check out some of the other Russian built airliners the series cover. They did look impressive in the shop and rather odd with anly the off Boeing/Airbus to be seen.

But this is a strange place. Where I live there is no easyJet or Ryanair within 60 miles and most flights are by Russian with Airbus an Boeing but EI- or VP- registered.

Looks like the IL-62 is setting a new standard hope so.

• Like 1

Not had a Zvezda in any flavour....what has been issues with the decals??

Uncomprehensive, poor definition/register, hard to use??

All these things look so nice on the box lid and many product a great...apart from the plastic and decals. :hmmm:

Edited by garryrussell

• 3 weeks later...