1/48 Su-25 UBK

Muzz

Got some paint on, the clear cockpit parts have been sprayed with the cockpit light blue so that it shows through on the inside, the rest undercoated with my favorite primer Alclad Grey Microfiller, this has showed up some areas that require further work.............

002-21.jpg

The first coat of the underside colour is also on, this happens to be Tamiya's XF-23 Light Blue again but it will be progressively weathered, first coat is straight from the pot, will be mixing with some light grey next and then blend it all in with some very light shades, I hope! Prior to this I drilled out some of the vent holes on the bottom engine covers, again some tidying up is required in some areas.

003-19.jpg

• Like 4

Masked up and ready for the camo.........

002-22.jpg

First of the upper surface colours, Akan Green (strongly faded) and then faded some more......

005-17.jpg

006-11.jpg

And some dented fuel tanks ready for paint...

004-21.jpg

• Like 3

How did you get on with the AKAN? I've brush painted a few smaller parts with it ok, in fact it brushes very well. When I came to spray I added a few drop of Tamiya thinners and found it beaded slightly on the surface. This was over Alclad primer. Yours looks very nice and smooth.

Phil

Thanks chaps, I've used Akan a few times now and never had any problems. I gave the Alclad primer a polish with micro mesh first and then Akan green straight out the pot, had problems with it drying on the tip but that was all. Then lightened the green and thinned with Tamyia thinners and gave the whole thing a dusting with it.

Will be trying to get the other colours on tonight!

Sometimes I surprise myself, got the camo finished this afternoon. Got the second green colour on, mixed up the original Akan green that I sprayed to start with and darkened it with Akan Green 73017, the photo's of the real aircraft show the two greens to have faded to very similar shades. After this colour was on I mixed up the original green and lightened i again and thinned it right down with Tamiya thinners then gave the whole upper colours a coating to try and blend in all the colours into a faded/bleached hue. I'm quite happy with how it turned out........

003-21.jpg

004-22.jpg

And then my favorite bit, taking the masking off! Only a couple of minor bits to clean up.

008-6.jpg

009-7.jpg

011-2.jpg

• Like 5

Camo is ...? Sorry, but these colors are used only for the Su-25 single-seat version until 1987, UB version had other colors.

Camo is ...? Sorry, but these colors are used only for the Su-25 single-seat version until 1987, UB version had other colors.

Sorry but your incorrect, they have been repainted in the last few years however as shown in the links I put up in post 8............

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bulgaria---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25UBK/1355138/&sid=9b7269c93b15bfc9f68e09dd71874583

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bulgaria---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25UBK/1714494/&sid=9b7269c93b15bfc9f68e09dd71874583

• Like 2

Moving on with the build and probably my favorite part, decaling and weathering!

Gloss cote on thanks to Alclads Aqua Gloss.........

001-24.jpg

And the first of the decals are on with a large amount of stencils to follow :suicide:

002-25.jpg

I was just going to hang some external tanks on the pylons but my liking for lots of whizz bangs got the better of me when I saw these bad boys going cheap at Glasgow Model Fest today.....

003-22.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks David, yes using the kit legs and some resin wheels. I know the kits gear isn't great but planning on adding the odd bit of detail. I'm not really a fan of white metal undercarriage which is the only alternative!

Muzz

Wow, those Eduard missles look exciting. Been considering their pylons and rocket pods for my SU-25K but they'll cost double what the kit did :confused:

They do look good as usual from Edaurds Brassin stuff. I used their pylon set for my Su-25K build and again there nicely detailed but was surprised to find that there not really the correct shape at the front, too pointy. In my opinion the kit pylons are more accurate shapewise just a pity the engraved details too soft on them.

Muzz