1/48 Su-25 UBK

Muzz

Looking very good, the pit went in ok. Are you going to fill all the rivets on the rear end and add raised ones or live with it as is?

There are some nice shots of that 'french modified' 2 seater in the African migs book, I'm not sure if there are decals about for it but those shark mouth subjects usually end up attracting some interest from modellers and hence aftermarket companies!

Thanks for the comments guys.

"Looking very good, the pit went in ok. Are you going to fill all the rivets on the rear end and add raised ones or live with it as is?"

The pit fought me all the way Phil, went in ok In the end but I would do it differently if I built another. I put all the bits in individually which made things difficult, would join the two tubs together first if I build another.

Funny you should ask about the rivets as I was just looking at that last night, when I built the single seater I bought raised rivet decals which I couldn't get to work, when I painted over them the film of the decal showed up more than the rivets, not sure if I was doing anything wrong. Might try again and maybe ask for some advice on here. If not I'll be adding engraved rivets which I ended up doing on the single seater and dint look to bad.

Got some work done on the canopy this afternoon. The canopy on the aircraft is in 4 pieces with a windshield, front canopy, centre section and rear canopy. In the kit these parts come as one and it's up to you to divided these parts up if your wanting the canopies to be open, so it's out with the razor saw again. They do provide two clear sprues just in case you mess things up!

006-9.jpg

The mask provided in the kit...

007-6.jpg

And the photo etch parts for the canopy.....

008-4.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work. But you need to modify the the seat. The Su-25 is a seat K-36L, but yours is K-36DM, that is used in supersonic aircraft.

K-36LTmp137.jpgTmp147.jpg

You have to become greater stabilizer. UB has a greater and opposite profile.UB is up.

Copyof01_zps57008aff.jpg

DSC00252_zpsdd77f391.jpg

• Like 3

A few more bits done on the kit despite the distractions of the last 24 hours here in not so sunny Scotland! I decided to tackle the extensive amount of rivets on the rear fuselage and had bought HGWModels rivet decals for the single seat kit I built last year. I wasn't impressed with them then but decided to give them another go as thought maybe it was my fault. I did again though find them pretty much useless and couldn't get them to work so it was out with the riveting tool to do some engraved rivets instead. No photo's of these yet but will get some up.

I've also worked on the intakes, engine pods and wings. First up was the two piece intake trunking and exhaust area, I decided to assemble the trunking and then cut them into sections so that I could tackle the seam and then add the fan front and rear. The internal trunking has been painted tank grey.

Here you can see where the cuts were made and the parts to be inserted prior to them being painted.

001-15.jpg

The trunking reassembled with the parts added and seam dealt with, couldn't get any photo's showing the interior of the trunking due to the light.

002-16.jpg

The trunking and main undercarriage bay in place within the engine pod, there's no detail whatsoever in the bays but not a lot can be seen so I don't intend to add any.

003-16.jpg

The engine pods contracted and Mr Surficer deployed to deal with the seam. Once the seams are dealt with I'll be adding more rivet detail to the rear end.

005-14.jpg

Finally the two main wings together and ready to be added to the engine pods.

004-17.jpg

• Like 2

Cracking on with the riveting on the rear fuselage, as I mentioned before I didn't have nay luck with the positive rivet decals so back to the trusted riveting tool. The rea fuselage is done sprayed over them with some excess paint I had left in the AB so there a bit difficult to see just now....

66602358-e0a8-4573-9f9a-20830352aaae.jpg

003-17.jpg

001-16.jpg

002-17.jpg

• Like 3

Starting to put the sub-assemblies together and tackling any seam lines with Mr Surfacer. Also added some rivet detail to the main wing sections........

001-17.jpg

The starboard engine pod attached to the main fuselage, after I attached it I realised I should have waited and added the intake ring first as it would be easier to deal

with any clean up so I've left the port one off until this is done....

002-18.jpg

In this photo you can see some more of the added rivet detail and one of the Quickboost air inlets has been added.

003-18.jpg

• Like 4

Got the other engine pod on now, quite happy with how it's gone so far.

004-19.jpg

Time to start sticking on some of the PE from the Eduard set, starting off with the large gun vent panel, had a bit of a nightmare fitting this to the single seater I built so wasn't looking forward to it.

005-15.jpg

Annealed it first as it requires to be bent around the bottom of the fuselage.

006-10.jpg

007-7.jpg

Happy with how it went, no glue everywhere like last time!

• Like 5

Thanks for all the encouragement chaps.

Very neat work on the forming of the cover, what technique did you use to roll the bends after annealing.

Thanks.

David

David, nothing fancy, just found a rod with a similar sized bend, which turned out to be the metal shaft for my rivet punch. Then used flat metal edges to bend the part around the rod so as not to warp the part. That got it pretty well shaped and I then used quick acting CA to fix it in place. I used the CA sparingly as the last time I done this I had it coming out the vents and nearly ruined the part.

It's the first time I've tried annealing the photo etch first but to be honest I don't think it made much difference, unless I did it wrong, held the part over the gas hob til it glowed and let it cool on its own.

The rest of the PE is a bit more straight forward!

Muzz

It's the first time I've tried annealing the photo etch first but to be honest I don't think it made much difference, unless I did it wrong, held the part over the gas hob til it glowed and let it cool....

Muzz

I would suggest the part has 'work hardened'as you have been rolling it and the part needs to be re-annealed to make forming easier.

Will follow with interest. :)

David

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and advice folks. Back at work after some leave so it's slowed things down a bit, however, I have made some progress....

After buying the Quickboost air inlet set, which for the Su-25K, I realised they K and the UB have a different set up and a couple of the Quickboost intakes aren't required. In addition to this the UB has two air inlets just above the engine exhausts and although these are provided in the kit they are the wrong shape having square intakes instead of round ones. Sorted it with some scrap PE and sanded the profiles to correct the shape.

001-18.jpg

Then it was on with the rest of the PE from the Eduard set and the fin was fixed in place, as is pretty common with Kopro/KP/OEZ there's no locating tabs for the fin so had to be pretty careful with the placement.

004-20.jpg

002-19.jpg

Next up the main wings were fixed in place, used CA to fix all the larger parts in place to ensure a good strong bond due to the lack of precise fitment.

007-8.jpg

005-16.jpg

008-5.jpg

• Like 3

Adding parts of the canopy to hopefully get a primer coat done soon. The centre canopy section has a blast shield behind the forward ejection seat, this is made up of a thin clear plastic sheet sandwiched between a photo etch frame. Theres a small gap around the blast shield which shouldn't be there but there's not really much I can do about it. I've added the mask to the canopy as well which isn't a great fit and have had to supplement it with tape and maskol.

001-19.jpg

The front windshield fitted, ended up having to cut away some of the detail on the forward dash to get it to fit, the overall fit of the clear parts is not great but it's probably mostly my fault, I'll get away with it as the canopies will be posed open, going to be a nightmare for painting though!

002-20.jpg

• Like 2