1/48 Su-25 UBK

Muzz

My Su-22 Fitter project is in limbo at the moment after the world cup got in the way and then a new baby. I have the urge to start something afresh and have decided on KP's Masterline Su-25 UBK. The kit comes with some nice resin, decals and masks. I've ordered a few more items which should arrive tomorrow, Quickboost Air Scoops, Eduard exterior photo etch set and Resin Art wheels.

007-5.jpg

006-7.jpg

008-3.jpg

Planning on these Bulgarian markings only a bit more faded circa 2010!

009-5.jpg

• Like 4

Nice, I will be watching this very carefully and taking notes.

I have this and its part of my Bulgarian Air Force I am working on (Mig-21, Mig-29, Su-22 and Su-25UBK)

Simon

Thanks for the interest folks, was hoping to get started tonight but it'll have to be tomorrow. These items did arrive this morning though.................

002-12.jpg

and here's a link to how I'm hoping the kits going to turn out..............

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bulgaria---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25UBK/1355138/&sid=9b7269c93b15bfc9f68e09dd71874583

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bulgaria---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25UBK/1714494/&sid=9b7269c93b15bfc9f68e09dd71874583

• Like 3

Nice choice, i guess thats the old OEZ Letohrad moulding? The word "old" cannt be taken as disadvantage here - I did build that one like 20 years ago, it was pretty good kit for me back then. With so many nice added goodies, it should turn into realy worthy piece :) Cannt wait to see more

I built the single seat OEZ kit last year and yes it's the same kit, although the plastics a bit better than the OEZ kit't and the engraved detail has come out better.

Skid's, I used the Edaurd pylons on the single seat build, I agree there very nicely cast but thought the shape as a bit off at the front, too pointed. I thought the kit pylons were more accurate shape wise just too softly detailed.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952605-oez-148-sukhoi-su-25k/?hl=frogfoot#entry1502080

• Like 1

Got started yesterday, my least favorite task - removing casting blocks from resin parts! Started on the cockpit and it's pretty much ready for painting. Need to decide on a colour for the cockpit, looking for a suitable light blue/grey colour.

002-13.jpg

Made up the photo etch guide rails for the ejection seats, pretty fiddly but quite pleased with how it went.

001-12.jpg

The seats ready for painting, not added the photo-etch belts yet....

003-14.jpg

004-14.jpg

The seat sitting in the cockpit with rail fitted, still to add the top to the joystick. This is the rear cockpit.

005-12.jpg

• Like 3

That pit looks very good, I've fondled the resin a few time but it never until you start that you really get a feel for it. I'm same with casting blocks, I might invest in a Dremel or the like for future projects, what's your weapon of choice?

If it's any help I find FS36375 with a dash of a darker grey, maybe FS36320 or DSG is pretty close to the light blue grey. Failing that Tamiya XF-23 with a few dashes or dark grey works too.

Phil

That pit looks very good, I've fondled the resin a few time but it never until you start that you really get a feel for it. I'm same with casting blocks, I might invest in a Dremel or the like for future projects, what's your weapon of choice?

If it's any help I find FS36375 with a dash of a darker grey, maybe FS36320 or DSG is pretty close to the light blue grey. Failing that Tamiya XF-23 with a few dashes or dark grey works too.

Phil

I've got a cordless Dremmel and funnily enough I've only previously used it for sanding/grinding down resin parts to fit. Used it for the first time with this kit to actually cut the resin blocks off, worked quite well but can really only use for the bigger parts. I have a JLC razor saw I use separating seats etc.

I've been using Tamiya XF-23 for a few Sukhoi cockpits, bt now wondering if it's not grey enough after looking at many cockpit photo's!

I've got a cordless Dremmel and funnily enough I've only previously used it for sanding/grinding down resin parts to fit. Used it for the first time with this kit to actually cut the resin blocks off, worked quite well but can really only use for the bigger parts. I have a razor saw I use separating seats etc.

I've been using Tamiya XF-23 for a few Sukhoi cockpits, bt now wondering if it's not grey enough after looking at many cockpit photo's!

The only thing that's kept me on the razor saw is the thought of how much dust the Dremel would kick up!

You could use XF-23 as a base colour and use a dark grey wash/filter possibly

I've got a cordless Dremmel and funnily enough I've only previously used it for sanding/grinding down resin parts to fit. Used it for the first time with this kit to actually cut the resin blocks off, worked quite well but can really only use for the bigger parts. I have a razor saw I use separating seats etc.

The main use of my Dremel is for resin grinding as well...

The only thing that's kept me on the razor saw is the thought of how much dust the Dremel would kick up!

You could use XF-23 as a base colour and use a dark grey wash/filter possibly

The Dremmel certainly produces a finer dust but It doesn't really bother me too much as I always do it outside! (The resin work)

Going to experiment with the XF-23 shortly.

Some more done on the cockpit, undercoated in light grey and then used Tamyia XF-23 for the main colour, dash and centre console in NATO black ..................

002-14.jpg

I've started picking out some of the detail, the resins really well done so it's easy painting.

004-15.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys. Continuing on with the cockpit and getting it fitted into the fuselage, against my better judgement I decided to follow the instructions and attached the cockpit side walls to the fuselage sides and then adding the main cockpit tub instead of joining the cockpit sides to the tub first. Only time will tell if it works, there's not really any guides to fitting the basic plastic cockpit nevermind the resin one!

he side walls added to the port side, I used a red pen to mark an outline for placement, you can see the basic nosegear bay below.

004-16.jpg

Whilst looking at the fuselage half's I noticed this rather major flash issue with the nose gear bay, it was pretty thick and required some cutting and sanding to sort out........

003-15.jpg

• Like 2

Well spent about 3 hours last night fighting with the resin cockpit, started off well and certainly fitted into one side of the fuselage very well. Problem came when trying to join the fuselage sides and at the front and rear instrument panels.

005-13.jpg

So far so good, tubs fitted into the port side……...

006-8.jpg

Ended up removing the tubs again and re-fitting them, then had to cut more resin away before finally managing to get the fuselage together. The fact that it all went in well on one side means it was probably more to do with my skills rather than the resin parts, would certainly have been easier if the two cockpit tubs were one piece instead of two parts.

009-6.jpg

010-2.jpg

012-5.jpg

Glad it's done!

• Like 5

Not much time to get on with things today, but did get some Mr Surfacer 500 down on the fuselage joins and filled some ejection mold marks on the intake trunking.

002-15.jpg

• Like 1