Blower Bentley, Airfix 1:12th scale

Brandy

I'm wondering whether those hoses are vacuum lines. Does the 4.5 use an autovac fuel pump?

My Rolls P II does but is plumbed with hard line all the way. I'd guess vacuum on this application. Appears to only be hose clamped on.

• Like 1

It looks like the rubber is just a sheath for protection since there's no mechanical fasteners (just some twisted wire), otherwise it would blow them straight off. The No. 2 line is most likely 'boost' pressure sinced it's directly connected to the plenum.

I've no idea what fuel pump it used. It appears that there's an electric one under the rear seat, but the header tank is on the rear of the firewall and remember the carbs are on the blower out in front and much lower so gravity alone should be sufficient to feed those.....although it may need a pump to maintain the pressure and sheer quantity needed....there's also a hard line just behind hose no.2

I've noticed there are 2 guages on the dash labelled "air" so I guess there could be a back-up boost guage....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

A little more progress to post.... I started adding details to the carbs, but I'm not going to go further just yet as I've emailed a museum in the hope of getting pics of their car so I can do them properly. If they don't reply I'll just stick with whatever I make up, at least it will be better than nothing.

35964227485_06be9b73ec_c.jpg

35124258634_4e617264d5_c.jpg

I have also added the drivetrain and rear end, adding the shackles I'd made previously, and more resin nuts! I discovered that I've fitted the left rear spring slightly off - it's sloped very slightly inwards, so the differential is centred with reference to the chassis rails, not the springs.

35793654222_97f4bc530e_c.jpg

35964228075_0d257365bf_c.jpg

This job would have been a lot easier if I'd bought aluminium rod for the shackles instead of using the brass rod I had, and painting it.....lesson learned!
 Finally, I've made a start on the clutch and brake pedals, and the mounting shaft. Airfix kindly provide the mounting points on the chassis rails, but once again, for no apparent reason, don't actually supply the shaft and pedals - they do provide little plastic blobs that bear no resemblance to the pedals - would it really have been too much effort to have done them properly?

35124259244_326990d8c8_c.jpg

35964227755_2ca38bf748_c.jpg

I was hoping to make the pedals in one piece but the curve at the top end proved too much. Still, it should make it easier to put it all together if I add the end later.
Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

I now have the pedals finished, with the exception of the actual foot pads at the end, which I will add when the bulkhead is in place. The top (bent) part is 1/32 aluminium rod, bent to shape. The plastic lower part was drilled and the rod was superglued in place, then finished with Mr Dissolved Putty to blend it in.

I've also finished the brake compensator. There are still 4 more actuators to make for the handbrake and front brakes, but there's not much more I can do on the brake system until I get the shock absorbers built and fitted, so that will be the next major job (I'm trying to find a good and reasonably priced source for the decals for those). That and making a start on the engine detailing, when I finally receive the hose fittings I ordered in September! I've been told they'll be here soon, so that should be a job for this weekend.

35124258994_e4a676f380_c.jpg

35124258074_72936b511b_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Great work Ian.

You've really got the discipline to wrestle every single detail you can out of this one.

This will be a benchmark build for this old, seminal kit.

My hat's off to you...

EDIT: I like your work stand too!

Edited by Codger

Thanks Codger - no expense spared on that!

A little more done - throttle pedal and mounting, and the linkages for the front brakes.....

35793651082_be77aa01cc_c.jpg

35964226215_50a3054885_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Another day spent correcting Airfix's worst efforts..... the front shocks are almost done.
 I trimmed the mountings, thinned (drastically!) the shock arms to leave just one of the 3 that should be there, then added the others from card. The upper should be 3 leaves and the lower, 2.
The front shocks are almost done, next up are the 4 rear ones.

35124258834_cba51440c8_c.jpg

35124258504_de5efc69f3_c.jpg

They're far from perfect but I'm not sure I can improve them without making them too weak, so I'll accept them as they are.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Great improvement to the shocks. Am I right in thinking they are just a friction sandwich, adjustable with the nut/bolt through the centre? :popcorn:

Just one thing I noticed: On the left of the engine block there appears to be a unit with a shaft extending aft towards the flywheel. Is this an electric starter, and if so, shouldn't Airfix have included a pinion gear on the end of it? Presumably the starter also has a big fat electrical cable between it at the battery.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Krow113, I'm not sure about the Jag carbs. The Bentley set up uses linkages, not cables, and it's the set up of those linkages that I'm looking for. I think I've sorted it out a little better, in that what I thought was fore/aft movement of the long link from engine compartment to carbs was actually rotational. That would work a lot better so if more detail doesn't emerge, that's the way I'll do it.

Kirk, they are indeed friction plates. After "sleeping on it" I'm not sure I'll accept them, may look for another way.....and yes, there should be a pinion and electric cable fitted - I've already added the terminals, the rest will be added soon.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Krow113, I'm not sure about the Jag carbs. The Bentley set up uses linkages, not cables, and it's the set up of those linkages that I'm looking for. I think I've sorted it out a little better, in that what I thought was fore/aft movement of the long link from engine compartment to carbs was actually rotational. That would work a lot better so if more detail doesn't emerge, that's the way I'll do it.

Yaya the Jag throttle is cable operated, thought the carb detail itself may have helped. No worries!

Thanks Codger, that's exactly what I'm trying to come up with, but in 1:12 scale. I can't find anything available, but I'm starting to think I might need to commission a PE set and decals....

Ian

Thanks Codger, that's exactly what I'm trying to come up with, but in 1:12 scale. I can't find anything available, but I'm starting to think I might need to commission a PE set and decals....

Ian

Naah...you can easily scratch that in .005" brass or pie pan ally (my fave) and a few styrene discs.

DON'T spend for a PE guy to do those - you've shown you're easily good enough to scratch those.

Just do it...

My Dads got a book on the 4.5 blower, I'll have look if there are any detail photos of the carbs and supercharger set up. There are drawings the BDC Technical notes as well, I know there is one for the supercharger but I can't remember if it shows the carbs and their linkages. Next time I go to his house I will have a look.