Blower Bentley, Airfix 1:12th scale

Brandy

Thanks, Gents, much appreciated!

Couldn't get out today even if I'd wanted to, with a blizzard blowing most of the day. I finally got out around 3:30pm to shovel the drive...again! This is getting old!
So...modelling all day! Not much to show for it, but I got a fair bit more done.
The coolant pipework had a very rudimentary flange moulded onto it, which I decided wouldn't clean up well enough, and the kit part is also missing a drain plug. So I cut it at the joint with the front mount. A piece of 2mm rod , a resin nut for the drain plug, and a cut down propeller flange from an Airfix kit (you know the piece...the circular bit with a hole in that gets glued to the back of the prop shaft so it turns) made the new flange - it fitted perfectly over the 2mm rod! A few more resin nuts and I have a much more presentable coolant pipe.
The piece with the modification:

35896517556_4938144660_c.jpg

and painted and fitted:

35128179483_b4ff357f6a_c.jpg

I started working on the filler caps, separating the handles, and replacing the mechanism part. I'll refit the handles later. I also removed the oil filler and separated the handle. I have no idea if it's correct but at least it looks better than having a handle moulded onto the cap! A couple of nuts were added to the starter motor as attachment points for the power leads, and a bit of a wash applied to tone it all down a little.

35097501804_b1143e642f_c.jpg

Finally, I decided to take a look at the bonnet panels with a view to thinning them down. I got a nasty surprise....

35128178853_d83f73e850_c.jpg

Hopefully some hot water and putting weight on them will sort it out....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

No luck with the bonnet panels, new ones on order from Airfix.

A little more to add but nothing major. I've been cleaning up the fuel tank and bulkhead for final painting, and in between I've got some details done. The radiator grille has been masked and painted, but I still have to paint the shell. I've also added some detail on the header tank, and made a dynamo.

35831078381_8a608f2ed3_c.jpg

35831078481_be1e996c9e_c.jpg

35922217756_04cf9a4663_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

I looked quickly at the inside view of the radiator grille and thought "He's done that in carbon fibre." In my defence, I am on the phone and I am throwing down some lunch.Then I realised that it was just black paint.

However, due to the way my mind works (not so much 'unhinged', as 'still at the hardware shop waiting for the builder to pick it up'), I immediately got to thinking about one of these Bentley charabancs in carbon fibre panels over a nice chrome-moly tube chassis...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents!

Rob, I'm actually not sure to be honest. But since I had to buy some Alclad Chrome for the radiator shell, I'll probably do the covers in that too. In all probability it wasn't too shiny anyway since it was a race car...

Ian

• Like 1

Ian, I also use a lot of Alclad paints and I've found the chrome to be a bit of a problem after its painted and then handling the part it tends to lose some of it's shine the more its handled. I've been using the air frame aluminum instead and it holds up better when handled. It still gives a good shiny finish. If you want an example look at my post on the 540K True Roadster; the supercharger is done in the airframe aluminum. Anyway, it's another option. I'm enjoying your build on the Bentley so far; it's looking great! Almost makes me want to pull mine out of my stash & finish it.

Wayne

Not sure that radiator is up to the standard of the rest of the build, Ian.

I mean, you can't even see through the matrix and I very much doubt that coolant will actually pass through it. It's almost as if you've merely improved the kit part.

Get a grip man. Now's not the time to let the standards drop, You'll be skimping on the wiring loom next!

Kirk. :winkgrin:

Thanks for the kind comments gents, much appreciated!

Kirk, I was going to model it just after a radiator leak had been repaired - trying to figure out how to model the cracked eggshell as evidence of the "repair"..... should direct the attention away from the lack of actual coolant.. ;-)

Roy, that's high praise indeed, I hope the rest comes up to standard. I have indeed thought of BMF for the rad shell. I have some to hand and will decide later which way to go. I also have the Alclad Aluminium mentioned by Wayne. Decisions, decisions.....

A little more progress has been made but nothing worthy of pics yet. I've let the chassis, fuel tank and bulkhead sit for a week to let the paint harden and I added the BMF aluminium to the bulkhead yesterday. I need to give that a dullcoat as it's a little too shiny, then add the nuts/bolts and other details.

BTW please feel free to drop in over on the aircraft WIP to see my other project: a Short 184 in 1:72 which will be modelled with wings folded - I need to figure out how to rig the wings separately and attach them securely enough....

Ian

• Like 1

I need to give that a dullcoat as it's a little too shiny, then add the nuts/bolts and other details.

Ian,

Consider a light 4-0 steel rub on the BMF before Dullcoting. Tones it down but leaves a hint of metal sheen.

Keep up your high standards; looks terrific.

I managed to get the stone screen fitted to the fuel tank today, just need to finish off the straps. Then, since I went to the local modelling club this evening, I put the Bentley together as a dry run.....

35937343255_80d001f178_c.jpg

35574870980_7d9da1450f_c.jpg

35793106902_d21d731420_c.jpg

35574870890_b60fe30e69_c.jpg

I'm finally getting close the the stage where I can start to see real progress, and put all the small sub-assemblies together!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

Love the rock screens around the gas tank. Also I never realized just how big the supercharger is on that Bentley engine; it's almost as big as the engine itself! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress. Great work!

Wayne

A constructive afternoon today, working on the bulkhead. I got the dynamo mounted and the bracket made and fitted, added the heat shield for the electrical box, and added more nuts!

35937343255_80d001f178_c.jpg

35964225795_f3177e4e33_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Nice nuts!

Actually I'm more impressed by the dynamo, but "Nice dynamo!" didn't have quite the same impact. I presume on the real thing, there's a driveshaft on the engine side of the bulkhead?

I have one of these in my stash that I bought to salve some guilt from my childhood. One of my dad's friends made one of these when I was about 12 and very kindly gave it to me when done. However, cocky little perfectionist that I was, I was very bothered by the poor fit of many of the parts. If I remember correctly, the firewall was sitting too high, preventing the "hood" panels from sitting down against the chassis ladder rails. One evening, I set to (carefully) disassemble certain pieces in order to file them down and refit them. Some hour or so after bed time, my dad came into my room and found the kind gift an a state of significant deconstruction. He had a sense of humour failure at my obvious lack of appreciation and threw the bits in the bin, damaging many parts beyond repair.

So, many years later, when I found one cheap I bought it but have not had the gumption to get on and build it. In a way, I'm glad I didn't because your excellent master-class has shown all sorts of things that really ought to be attended to. I do fear that my desire to do even 50% of the justice you have done to the model may act as a barrier to starting however...

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! There is indeed an engine driven dynamo drive. Oddly enough, it's included in the kit, (although very rudimentary!) and the dynamo isn't!

I finally attached the engine, gearbox and fuel tank to the chassis today, so while that was drying, I decided to take a closer look at the supercharger and carbs. I added more nuts on the carb and supercharger exhaust mountings, and then added some details to the lower part of the carbs in the form of the first parts of the throttle linkages, and the dust screens - this after spending most of the afternoon searching the web for good pictures of the SU HVG5 carbs - if anyone has a pic of a pair of these mounted with the linkages it would be greatly appreciated!

35964225315_aef8f9862e_c.jpg

35964225095_2d84cbc2bd_c.jpg

I also put some nuts on the dynamo drive....

35964225045_50680f0ce2_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Nice nuts!

Actually I'm more impressed by the dynamo, but "Nice dynamo!" didn't have quite the same impact. I presume on the real thing, there's a driveshaft on the engine side of the bulkhead?

Kirk

On the 3 litre the Dynamo is driven off the end off the camshaft via a fabric/rubber coupling. When it is turned on it also acts as a damper for the camshaft. The 4.5 may well use the same setup.

Cheers

• Like 1

The 4.5 dynamo is indeed driven the same way as the 3 litre, at least from what I can see in pics. The shaft extends from the rear of the camshaft, through the bulkhead.

I totally agree with your comment about finding out how it all works. When I started this I had no idea that there was a dynamo back there!

Still learning....I need to find out what the hoses are leading to the inlet manifold (nos. 1 & 2)...manifold pressure gauges? If so, Why 2? Does no. 1 attach to the underneath of the manifold? And what's the hose on the left side of the engine (no. 3)?

35124258164_0f94bd233a_c.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot