Paddy Hopkirk Mini Cooper - 33EJB

Mike100

That's a very good question Steve I had noticed it on my models but kinda just thought the models were possibly wrong . I've just had a browse on the internet and sure enough the works rally minis do all seem to have LHD wipers .

Progress is slow but it's still progess I suppose lol.

I now have a rolling chassis and a complete engine bay so that's the mechanicals all in . I couldn't resist trying the body on 😊

Now time to start the interior .

61C955FB-4607-47F0-B607-C2C3253C8EA8_zps

90377BA6-EF4B-413A-A184-801A598C35C4_zps

4FBBA91E-8C6F-4C1E-BD8D-05648015A5F6_zps

9E9391DF-D186-44D9-AAB9-F193BDE61662_zps

08970A09-3937-48C4-909C-6DCB1D943BE1_zps

• Like 2

Enjoying your build I must say. I am impressed with the look of this kit, pretty accurate and even the 'stance' looks about right. I am building the Tamiya racing Mini at the moment and the wheels need a lot of work to get them looking right in the arches.

Steve.

That's a very good question Steve I had noticed it on my models but kinda just thought the models were possibly wrong . I've just had a browse on the internet and sure enough the works rally minis do all seem to have LHD wipers .

I know the works minis employed a different wiper system to the standard fit and I presume they're fitted that way so the initial sweep clears the drivers view first. This is an interesting article, bad spelling aside!

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/march-1964/15/road-monte-carlo-rally-winning-min

That was a good read that article with so great info but still don't tell us why they run LHD wipers.

I did ask my dad as he was a BMC mechanic back in the day and did do some work on and got to drive a Paddy Hopkirk circuit racing mini but he don't know why either . It one of those thing I've really gotta find out now lol

Nice twini there arni I bet that was a fiddly build , you should keep us updated with the restoration of it now we have internet lol .

I found the earlier and the way I understand it all Minis from 59 - 69 we produced with Left hand drive wipers ie right hand park so it seems I was not just the rally cars that were this way .

4D8E31E0-A0FE-42BB-9C3A-99ACC49D5E7F_zps

Progress is slow but it's still progess I suppose lol.

I now have a rolling chassis and a complete engine bay so that's the mechanicals all in . I couldn't resist trying the body on

Now time to start the interior .

61C955FB-4607-47F0-B607-C2C3253C8EA8_zps

This is a very nice shot. Great job on this kit.

Nice twini there arni I bet that was a fiddly build , you should keep us updated with the restoration of it now we have internet lol .

I found the earlier and the way I understand it all Minis from 59 - 69 we produced with Left hand drive wipers ie right hand park so it seems I was not just the rally cars that were this way .

4D8E31E0-A0FE-42BB-9C3A-99ACC49D5E7F_zps

It could take a while,I had a stroke late last year and tend to work on whatever takes my fancy at the time..Hence the vehicles in the background! :banghead:

Looking superb... the finish is so vibrant...

Can I ask did the instructions say cut the rally plate decal on the rear only I thought these where metal signs stuck to the boot lid (same for the front)...

I was thinking that it should come with a plastic shaped piece to apply the decal or scratch build one using thin plasticard.

• Like 1

No there's nothing the kit to mount the decal to and I do believe u are correct and on the 1:1 car these are metal and it comes down with the boot lid when it is opened . Damn !!! Now I realise that a could of as u said made one for it . Oh pants !!!