Westland Wessex (1/48 Italeri + Eduard) - 26.1 DONE!

gregax

After some break, finally there is some progress...

Primer is on, still all the photoetch pieces are clinging to a model...

wes_primer.jpg

Coat od OD, lightened in some places. I again used some custom mix, but Gunze H330 was the base color.

wes_olive.jpg

Gloss coat, ready for decals.

wes_gloss.jpg

Merry Christmas to all!

Edited by gregax
  • Like 9

Merry Christmas to you too Greg.

Paint repairs were from a 1/2pint screw top can stored in an Anti-corrosion repair kit toolbox. Applied via flat brush with 'jack-proof' bristles, so not the most subtle of applicators. The finish was usually glossier than the original and sometimes looked lighter (IMS).

I think if you can retail the sheen you have now (decal ready) you should have a reresentative finish. One point but it's difficult to achieve on a model without a lot of masking, was the markings were gloss on a matt finish.

Colin

Fabulous work on this, the Eduard etch adds a lot, especially to the seats and exterior.

A word of warning on the decals (I built one last year) - the stencils on the kit sheet mostly seem to be a bit (~25%) too big. If you're using an aftermarket sheet hopefully it comes with stencils, otherwise it's worth doing some trimming to some of them - particularly the white-background "fight fire" markings on the nose.

HTH,

Will

Looking stunning so far.

I agree with Heloman 1, we kept out cabs clean and always applied PX24 (WD-40) to keep the salt environment at bay.

I'll keep watching this thread.

Cheers the woo.

Decals are done! It took me almost 3 afternoons to place them...Combination of Italeri and Xtradecals. With htelp of microset/micosol combination they performed ok.

Unfortunatelly there are no aftermarket stencils available, so kit ones should do the trick.. They are too big, I'm not sure about the font either, but what's done is done.

I will let it set for a couple of days and tackle some other bits...

wes_decals1.jpg

wes_decals2.jpg

wes_decals3.jpg

• Like 16

This looks really nice. I like the way how smooth the surface looks. I noticed this when you had applied the primer, but now with OD and decals on it still looks great.

Of course your good photo skills help on that!

Evert

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I can slowly see the light at the end of the tunnel. Lots of work has been done. After decals, couple of coats of semigloss was sprayed, then 3 different types of filters, semigloss again, weathering, which has been kept to a minimum, as some of the fellows here on forum suggested, that these birds were kept really clean. Coat of semigloss again, so now all that is left are small pieces, winch and well, some pieces I will have to make from scratch (UHF antenas and the lower winch as well) Hope you like it.

wes_weath1.jpg

wes_weath2.jpg

wes_weath3.jpg

wes_weath4.jpg

• Like 14

The detail work is superb, such as he external wiring and the internal framework ribbing,.......really not notch and I love the Jungly scheme too,

Cheers

Tony

I am really looking forward to seeing this finished and well done on the restrained weathering, you have given just the right impression of a well used but cared for machine.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues. After painting, weathering and varnishing I've decided to make some bits and pieces missing in the kit. So, fire extinguisher and some bits and bobs were made

from scratch. Now i hope to enclose everything without any major problems. Enjoy!

Interesting! How did you make the fire extinguisher?

Fire extingusher was pretty easy to do. Piece of the sprue sanded round at one end, then some masking tape for the strap, a piece of PE part (flat) for the handle and Albion alloy tube for the nozzle. And a bit of paint... HTH