il2 Sturmovik :Battle of Stalingrad

Carts

Having said "Never again" after pre-ordering Cliffs of Dover(I know its much better now thanks to the team fusion mods)I went and broke this cardinal rule and went and bought the pre-release version of il2B.O.S. from 777 studio's,the team behind rise of flight,Its fair to say I have been very impressed indeed,Its a steep learning curve on full realism but rewarding for that.It doesn't come with a shed full of aircraft,you get the 109F-4 and G-2,The Ju87D-3 and the He111 H-6 for the axis and a LaGG-3,THE Yak-1,the IL2 AM-38 and a Pe-2 for the Soviets,you can buy the FW 190 and the La-5 as an extra but its about £14.00 each.The base game is at present fairly bare,3 maps and a quick mission builder,with the single player campaign being worked on for the final release,the game is currently at 70% completion.

As a purely personal opinion I'm really enjoying it,it take me right back to that feeling of excitement and immersion I got when I first played the original iL2 back in the day,Having never flown a real Me109 I have no real idea about the flight model,but it feels"right".

Any how,enough waffle,here's a couple of screenies form today's attempt at bagging the flying cement truck that is the iL2.

il2s2_zps42b4303d.jpg

il2s1_zps05e7d236.jpg

Haha, lovely to see how many other flight sim chaps are on here - but at the same time I suppose it makes sense.

I was in the exact same position as you. Feeling completely burned by Cliffs of Dover I was at first dubious about this. However when Jason and 777 got involved that sealed the deal for me as they had done great things with Rise of Flight.

Now the majority of my online Squadron have it, and we are discussing the likelihood of moving to it soon after it's release for our official campaign. In the meantime, much fun is being had getting used to it.

My only concern with it is that the single Winter map for campaign will get a little boring fairly quickly. I hope they follow up with a different area, or at least some Autumn or other textures to break the winter map up a bit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Having said "Never again" after pre-ordering Cliffs of Dover(I know its much better now thanks to the team fusion mods)I went and broke this cardinal rule and went and bought the pre-release version of il2B.O.S. from 777 studio's,the team behind rise of flight,Its fair to say I have been very impressed indeed,Its a steep learning curve on full realism but rewarding for that.It doesn't come with a shed full of aircraft,you get the 109F-4 and G-2,The Ju87D-3 and the He111 H-6 for the axis and a LaGG-3,THE Yak-1,the IL2 AM-38 and a Pe-2 for the Soviets,you can buy the FW 190 and the La-5 as an extra but its about £14.00 each.The base game is at present fairly bare,3 maps and a quick mission builder,with the single player campaign being worked on for the final release,the game is currently at 70% completion.

As a purely personal opinion I'm really enjoying it,it take me right back to that feeling of excitement and immersion I got when I first played the original iL2 back in the day,Having never flown a real Me109 I have no real idea about the flight model,but it feels"right".

Any how,enough waffle,here's a couple of screenies form today's attempt at bagging the flying cement truck that is the iL2.

il2s2_zps42b4303d.jpg

il2s1_zps05e7d236.jpg

Come back on the power,drop "Combat Flap" and barrel roll over the top of the IL's.

Pull back up underneath them adding power,pick your target and kill zone,short burst

,should be "Pauka-Pauka" and a couple more in the bag for "Herr Oberst"

• 2 years later...

I really wish they'd put a few easier to fly 'planes in there. When I first started flight sims (Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator) we had the Zero, which was pure pleasure, and very forgiving. This allowed us to learn how to fly, before jumping into an F4U!  I just need to spend hours just flying around in Battle of Stalingrad, before attempting to take on a serious altercation!

Edited by John Rixon