Dutch Starfighters F104G

Hockeyboy76

A little help please.

Did Dutch Starfighters ever fly with orange tip tanks?

(Can't have a Dutch a/c without a little orange!!)

Looking online I can only find pics of camo or none fitted.

Does anyone know if Dutch Starfighters had black or red head boxes on the ejection seats? Online I find both colours.

Edited by Hockeyboy76

A little help please.

Did Dutch Starfighters ever fly with orange tip tanks?

(Can't have a Dutch a/c without a little orange!!)

Looking online I can only find pics of camo or none fitted.

The German Aircraft had +dayglo centres to there tanks. the Dutchmasters had dayglo orange triangals on the fin with black mitreboard hat I seem to remember one of the FT104 was overall dayglo orange.

• Like 1

The dayglo bands on the tanks was a German thing, we did not feature them on our 104's.

However, a pooled 322 / 323 Sq, D-8273, was noted with dayglo tanks and underfuselage dummy AIM-9B's without forward fins in 1964 for a DACT exercise. She already wore the splinter camouflage.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

Good review of this kit in Airfix Model World this month and I have to say it is the release I have been most looking forward to this year. The Gnat for me epitomises the sleak, agile fighter of the 1960's and I love it! Will need a fair few of these kits!

Hi, guys,

Thanks for the help. I knew the Germans used dayglo tanks. Having lived and worked in Netherlands for over 3 years I know how the Dutch like Orange. Have to admit it's rubbed off on me. Had to respray my Motorbike Orange.

Plan is to make a Dutch 1/72 Italeri F104G and use all the cmk detail sets. Unsure as yet whether to paint her in overall grey or splinter camo.

Plan is to make a Dutch 1/72 Italeri F104G and use all the cmk detail sets. Unsure as yet whether to paint her in overall grey or splinter camo.

Excellent choice. ;)

The scheme, allover grey or splinter, would depend on unit and timeframe; let me know if you want any specifics.

Also, the Esci / Italeri wing tanks are noticably too skinny. I should have some Hasegawa / RoG tanks to spare if those would help.

Cheers from the Netherlands,

Andre

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...