1/48 REGGIANE RE 2002 Italeri

Hello Britmodellers;

here's my latest model, Italeri's 1/48 Reggiane RE 2002 Ariete, in the markings of Major Giuseppe Cenni mount (supposedly) just before the armistice, August 1943. For this reason, all the "fasci" on the original AC were either cancelled or over-painted, as I tried to reproduce.

Sadly enough, Major Cenni was shot down a few days before the official armistice date, after a chase operated by some Spitfires, in southern Italy sky.

The kit is ... oh well, as Troy says, a real pig: inaccuracy and fit problems all over; I tried to correct something, such as thinning the wings and using a resin spine, I did some scratch-building and some surgery, all of which can be seen in the WIP Thread

Paints are mainly Tamiya Acrylics and Lifecolor Acrylics; the antenna wire is one of my eldest daughter's hair. White band and rudder cross are painted, only the marking on the latter was cut out from the kit decals

Now the pics, comments and suggestions are more then welcome

sopra_zps4efedfae.jpg

soprasx_zps793fbc4c.jpg

dietrosx_zpsaed537e8.jpg

latosx_zps2a06b0e5.jpg

frontedx_zps9acb7236.jpg

Wing guns are small copper pipes coming from electric contacts, cut to size

fronte_zpsc3e3839b.jpg

dettagliodietrodx_zpsf6c13aff.jpg

dietrodx_zpsdeca6c08.jpg

sotto2_zps4ae49d24.jpg

It was while taking this pic that the disaster happened: I was outside, wind arose and ...

disastro_zps5311a4b9.jpg

.... disaster :badmood::angry::angry::rant:

Well, I fixed it all, and as a matter of fact some of the pics above have been taken after the fix (which also involved replacing the antenna wire, that now stays much tighter)

sotto3_zps8df8b594.jpg

sotto4_zps2f6d0b5e.jpg

Details you can't see in the completed model; the rudder pedals were completely scratch-built; some cables, pipes and knob were added; instrument dials are kit decals, with a drop of PVA glue to simulate glass

pit12_zpsa9c32ee4.jpg

pit14_zps4b9e9473.jpg

Engine was detailed adding some wirings

motore17_zps5d829bb9.jpg

I've also scratch built the radio rack, using some leftovers from an old Tornado kit (!?!)

radio_rack5_zps7099bad2.jpg

Ciao

• Like 15

This was a fascinating build to follow giemme - thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent finish! - even the second time around!! Lovely detailing and weathering! Your best model yet!............. I look forward to the next!

• Like 1

Thanks everybody;

@Doug: I'm glad I did; as said in the build thread, WWII Italian Fighters do look sexy! :winkgrin:

@Stix: build was a lot of fun for me, thanks to you and everybody else followed it

@Steve: thank you, I appreciate that

Ciao

Thank you Dennis and Ian.

@Ian: when I actually saw her in pieces, my mind ran immediately to all the hours spent to get something decent out of this kit.

Not that this would have cancelled the fun I had while doing it, but it would have felt incomplete :( like going for a long run, reaching the end and not being able to cross the line.

Luckily enough, there where no major structural damages, apart from the spinner axle and one of the propeller blades, but the breaking point for both it's not visible after re-gluing

Ciao

Sounds like a good save! Well done... I remember building a scale model of the Cutty sarky when I was 12, put it by a window and the wind took that three stories to the crazy paving below... Never built a boat since, can't deal with the loss.

Your weathering is excellent, something i wish i could get to and as always Italian birds are real crackers!!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob, and I feel your pain for the Cutty sarky.

Weathering on the actual model is a bit more "intense" of what you see in the pics, I'm not a good photographer. As a matter of fact, I could use a good modelling photographing tutorial (I'm asking for suggestions here ... :book: )

Ciao

It was while taking this pic that the disaster happened: I was outside, wind arose and ...

disastro_zps5311a4b9.jpg

.... disaster :badmood::angry::angry::rant:

Well, I fixed it all, and as a matter of fact some of the pics above have been taken after the fix (which also involved replacing the antenna wire, that now stays much tighter)

fought you to the bitter end! :boxing:

Great result in the end though.

cheers

T

• Like 1

fought you to the bitter end! :boxing:

Great result in the end though.

cheers

T

Indeed! I'm thinking of taking some better pics in the sunlight, but now I fear even touching the model ... :banghead:

Thanks again for your support

@Maxidad: thanks for popping in

Ciao