1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN/UTI & CS-95 released

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 (F/FN/UTI) by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN released - new boxings/variants in December 2022

New boxings/variants scheduled in December 2022

- ref. KPM0358 - Lavoshkin La-5FN - Czechoslovakia

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/la-5fn-csr/

KPM0358-box.webp
KPM0358-kamo.webp

- ref. KPM0359 - Lavoshkin La-5FN - SNP

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/la-5fn-snp/

KPM0359-box.webp
KPM0359-kamo.webp

- ref. KPM0361 - Lavoshkin ULa-5 - Czech Republic

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/ula-5-csr/

KPM0361-box.webp
KPM0361-kamo.webp

- ref. KPM0362 - Lavoshkin La-5UTI

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/la-5uti/

KPM0362-box.webp
KPM0362-kamo.webp

V.P.

• Like 4

Reading through this thread, there was a new-tool 1/72 La-5FN released by KP about 5 years ago. I called it KP La-5FN Ver.2.0. Then KP released their 1/72 La-5 and La-5F in ~2020; at the time, they also said there would be yet another La-5FN (not Ver.2.0), but it never materialized. So is version 3.0 finally going to be released in December 2022, or is this just version 2.0 again? In other words, a totally new tooling, or not? Or possibly a rework of the 2020 La-5F?

John

1 hour ago, John Thompson said:

Reading through this thread, there was a new-tool 1/72 La-5FN released by KP about 5 years ago. I called it KP La-5FN Ver.2.0. Then KP released their 1/72 La-5 and La-5F in ~2020; at the time, they also said there would be yet another La-5FN (not Ver.2.0), but it never materialized. So is version 3.0 finally going to be released in December 2022, or is this just version 2.0 again? In other words, a totally new tooling, or not? Or possibly a rework of the 2020 La-5F?

IMHO for 7 years we have been dealing with different mutations of one kit created from the same master. The fact that 5FN from 2015 (I have it in my hands now) has 60 grey styrene parts and 5F from 2020 has 56 of them does not matter - the technological breakdown is identical. I don't know what the surface detailing looks like in the "new" boxes from 2020 (and even more so from 2022), but for me only the parts layout on individual sprues, the picture on the box and the decals set have changed.

And of course the price...

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I quite liked the La-5 and La-5F. Maybe not as detailed as the Clear Prop La-5, but nice kits regardless. I'm hoping that La-5FN version 3 will be a completely new kit, but if it's an adaptation of the La-5F, that's okay too.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Yeah, I quite liked the La-5 and La-5F. Maybe not as detailed as the Clear Prop La-5, but nice kits regardless. I'm hoping that La-5FN version 3 will be a completely new kit, but if it's an adaptation of the La-5F, that's okay too.

John

I agree; they are nice kits. I also had and built the La-5FN (for a magazine article, no less - yes, that still surprises me to this day that a magazine published an article on one of my builds). That was also a nice kit. No kit is perfect, of course, and besides the lack of locating pins and the large ejection stubs on the tail, I'm not sure that kit needed that much improving. Instead of making a new and improved La-5FN, it would be nice if they did something like give us VVS modellers a good Il-4, finally, in 1/72nd scale, or any easier to build Tupolev SB (the ICM kit is well-detailed, but over-engineered). I'd pay good money for those. However, that being said, the release of the two-seater La-5s is welcomed, and I'll no doubt be picking those up.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

As we all know, the entire family of LaGG-3, La-5/5F/5FN and La-7 are based on the same wings, rear fuselage, empennage and landing gear. Of course, there are differences in the contour of the landing gear covers, wheel diameters, rudder balance or wing slats, but generally the only very serious difference is the replacement of the Klimov (nee Hispano-Suiza) in-line engine with the radial Shvetsov (nee Wright). The analogy with the Kawasaki Ki-61 with the Ha-40 engine (nee Daimler-Benz) and the Ki-100 with the Kinsei engine (nee Gnome-Rhone) is irresistible. Unfortunately, while for years each Ki-100 kit has been based on the Ki-61 of the same manufacturer, no one can follow the same way with the Lavochkin kits.

KzP's love affair with this family of aircraft began in 1973 with the La-7 kit, which we can consider KP.La.1.0. Then, in 1986, the La-5FN was released, which did not have a single part in common with the earlier La-7 kit - and yet it could use the same landing gear, propeller, tail, or cockpit interior and glazing. Let's call it KP.La.2.0.

And now, in 2015, another La-5FN (KP.La.3.0) appeared, which again has no common parts with its predecessors, although it is a picture of the change in the manufacturer's approach to this family of aircraft, because the sprues clearly read "La-5FN/ La-7". Unfortunately, we did not see the La-7 from this generation (alleged KP.La.3.1), and now in the last 2 years the "new" La-5/5F/5UTI have been pouring in, which still belong to the same generation of kits, hence for me it is KP.La.3.2. More than 80 per cent of the parts are the same, only their layout on the sprues has changed.

So I'm waiting for the equally "new" La-7 and maybe finally for a decent LaGG-3.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Released

- ref. KPM0358 - Lavoshkin La-5FN - Czechoslovakia - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10710,en_lavockin-la-5fn-csr-.html

- ref. KPM0359 - Lavoshkin La-5FN - SNP - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10711,en_lavockin-la-5fn-snp-.html

- ref. KPM0361 - Lavoshkin ULa-5 - Czech Republic - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10712,en_lavockin-ula-5fn-csr-.html

- ref. KPM0362 - Lavoshkin La-5UTI - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10713,en_lavockin-la-5fn-uti.html

KPM0358-box.jpg KPM0359-box.jpg

KPM0361-box.jpg KPM0362-box.jpg

V.P.

• Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN/UTI & CS-95 released

I went ahead and ordered one each of the La-5UTI and the La-5FN directly from KP, the -FN so I can have it in my own hands to compare it with the previous KP La-5FN kit (KPM0035, from 2015). Just the fact that the new kit has "35" in the kit number (KPM0359) makes me suspicious, but we'll see - stranger coincidences have happened.

John

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, John Thompson said:

I went ahead and ordered one each of the La-5UTI and the La-5FN directly from KP, the -FN so I can have it in my own hands to compare it with the previous KP La-5FN kit (KPM0035, from 2015). Just the fact that the new kit has "35" in the kit number (KPM0359) makes me suspicious, but we'll see - stranger coincidences have happened.

John

I received the two kits today. If your objective in buying the "new for 2022" La-5FN kit was to build a La-5FN (makes sense, right?) and you compared it with the older KP La-5FN (2015 release), you would find the parts to be exactly the same but arranged differently on the sprues, and with a less-shiny surface finish. But wait - there's more! Much more! In fact, there's all the parts included in this kit to build the La-5 or the La-5UTI or the La-5FN, except for canopies, decals, and instructions. The La-5FN and the La-5UTI contain all the same grey styrene parts - in total you get three sets of fuselage halves and two pairs of wing upper surfaces (with and without wing root reinforcements) in both kits. You could almost build two models from one kit, except for shared items like landing gear, cockpit details, etc., so you'd need a decent spare parts box. The one big problem is that you get only one wing undersurface, and of course you'd need to find an appropriate canopy.

To sum up, the two kits (new La-5FN and La-5UTI) are identical, except as noted above. The La-5FN-specific parts are identical to those in the 2015 La-5FN. Nothing wrong with that - it's a good kit - but I was half-expecting a totally "new for 2022" version. Somehow KP can afford to issue all the parts to build any one of three versions in one box, again, except for canopies, decals, and instructions.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, KRK4m said:

And now, in 2015, another La-5FN (KP.La.3.0) appeared, which again has no common parts with its predecessors, although it is a picture of the change in the manufacturer's approach to this family of aircraft, because the sprues clearly read "La-5FN/La-7". Unfortunately, we did not see the La-7 from this generation (alleged KP.La.3.1), and now in the last 2 years the "new" La-5/5F/5UTI have been pouring in, which still belong to the same generation of kits, hence for me it is KP.La.3.2. More than 80 per cent of the parts are the same, only their layout on the sprues has changed.

As you can see, 6 weeks ago I was saying what @John Thompson is writing today - assumptions turned out to be correct 👍

Cheers

Michael

• Like 3

Thanks for the info @John Thompson! Looks like a good deal with all those spare parts. I do have quite a bit remaining usable plastic and PE parts, and decals, from my disastrous Eduard La-7 Dual Package, so I might end with almost enough for a second plane.. for free!

Edited by Ventsislav Gramatski
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN/UTI & CS-95 released - new La-5FN boxing in April 2023