1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN/UTI & CS-95 released

Homebee

The UTI.... anyone else here actually built one?  Mine arrived earlier this year, I was so happy yet this kit is a real big disappointment regarding the canopy. I think it was made for a different kit, and no amount of faffing around provided anything close to an acceptable fit.  In frustration I just dumped the thing in the trash.

I may pick another one up again once I've read/seen a built up one, but for now, nah. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Louise said:

The UTI.... anyone else here actually built one?  Mine arrived earlier this year, I was so happy yet this kit is a real big disappointment regarding the canopy. I think it was made for a different kit, and no amount of faffing around provided anything close to an acceptable fit.  In frustration I just dumped the thing in the trash.

I may pick another one up again once I've read/seen a built up one, but for now, nah. 

Interesting. I have a fully-assembled one, so I cut the two canopy parts off the sprue and did a test-fit. I don't see the canopy as being any worse than a lot of limited-run kits. The rear part of the rear section is rather wide compared to the fuselage, but that's the worst of it. Maybe KP were trying to represent the greater width required by the sliding section of the rear canopy? If I was building another one, I'd widen the rear fuselage section with a tapered spacer to try to reduce or eliminate this effect. In fact, I might just pry the upper fuselage joint apart on my existing one and force a spacer into the gap, so thank you for bringing this up. Better to know about it now than after the thing is painted! 😉

John

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lavoshkin La-5 by Kovozávody Prostejov (KP) - La-5FN/UTI & CS-95 released

Well I did it, and it worked; I also added a spreader (short piece of waste sprue) just behind the cockpit, although you can't go crazy with that or the spreader will force apart the joint at the top of the fuselage spine. These things are probably easier to do during construction, not after the kit is completely assembled (except for the canopy, obviously).

John

• Like 2