dual tamiya and Dtm redbull rb6 build. tamiya car take 2

shood23

A bit more bad news but good to follow.

I can't get the seal i need from this country other than trawling around hardware shops hoping for the right one, so the good news but it's not so cost effective, i ordered a new airbrush and should be with me by the end of the week

And logical i bought mine from a guy on ebay other than there the only other place i have seen them is on hobbyeasy.com and as for them doing mclarens, i dont think they do but here's a link to the page I have

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/CAR/index.html?t=1414515188

hope this helps

shaun

Even though I can't get on with the main part of the tamiya car here is what i have done in the time until hopefully tomorrow when my new airbrush should turn up

So on with the builds

The tamiya car seat with the black surround painted on ready for the carbon

20141030_170051_zpsfh819jln.jpg

I have also been able to install the drive shafts

20141030_170106_zpsdiww4ljp.jpg

And i have made a start on the seat belts, there is more done than the next pic but they are just so fiddly

20141030_170148_zpsvqydgdkf.jpg

And these bits are going to be all the little electrical boxes and gizmos under the radiators and in the engine bay

20141030_170139_zpsecfwc6es.jpg

Thats it for tonight on this car more soon

Shaun

• Like 1

Also i forgot to put it in but this is just a quick update on the DTM car

All this is really is the main body going through the numerous stages of polishing

This was after a rub over with micro mesh 4000

20141030_172426_zpsg51bcva9.jpg

And this is after the 12000 but before the wax has been applied And apologies for the quality of the picture it was done on my phone and it doesnt like taking pictures under the lighting we have in the house (stupid spotlights< swmbos great idea)

20141030_181305_zpste9qzg3x.jpg

I will get some good daytime pics tomorrow after waxing, weather depending, and then i should just be a case of sticking it all together

Shaun

I used sarcococcas method of painting the seat and then putting flour over it, leave to dry then blow off the excess flour and paint in the colour you need preferably with an airbrush as hand painting i found clumps up with the flour and gives a very nasty finish and if any other little bit need doing paint aswell as long as it's not on the area with texture hand painting is fine unless you have a very steady hand with airbrush

Shaun

Right so apparently I'm not ment to get any progress on the tamiya car as i have had a blast of priming today and just to say when i last had a go at it i thought the primer looked a little odd but i put that down to what went wrong originally with my last airbrush but as i have no thoughts that there is anything wrong with my new one it has confirmed to me that the primer has given up the ghost, it just looks as though it spraying thinners so i took a look in the cup after i sprayed it through and it looked a touch lumpy, there is no way it wasn't mixed enough as i shook it and stirred it before I started, so I got a an old strainer out and ran the primer through it and it looked like it had sort of dried out. To be fair the bottle is almost a year old and Iits almost empty anyway but it's just a pain that now I have to delay until at least Tuesday until i can get a good primer coat on grrr

Shaun

A really quick update on the tamiya red bull

In the time I had to wait for the primer to turn up (which it did today) i made a start on the radiator ducts, up until this point I have carboned all the visible surfaces so now they just need a sealer coat. I also have made a start on the many extra resin parts that come with the detail sets but a lot more should get done over the next few days now, fingers crossed

So as said before tge tamiya car is going real slow but on the other side of the work bench the DTM car is really nearing completion

So here is where i am with it

I gave the body a full rub down with all the grades of micro mesh from 4000 and up and here is the finish that archived

20141031_124437_zpsumjmfm0o.jpg

Now after a wax with zeros wax

20141102_143127_zps0ufvixfr.jpg

And i have made a start on the front suspension

20141102_142920_zpsny5of3ev.jpg

20141102_142928_zpsl1z4xkii.jpg

These are the radiator faces for inside the car which after installed with the other peices cant be seen anyway

20141031_125449_zpsc7dbkbxg.jpg

And the brake calipers have the brembo decals on

20141102_152150_zpssfpjyncj.jpg

Also the oz racing decals have been put on the rims

20141102_152059_zps448yxe9g.jpg

The redbull logo on the head rest pad

20141102_152127_zpsfkkrgjjz.jpg

And the sabelt logos have gone on

20141102_152137_zpsbqitjgx3.jpg

And another one to show the shine on the nose

20141102_143027_zpsvq4yeslz.jpg

So like i have probably said before this one is almost done and shouldnt take to much more to get it across the finish line

More to come

Shaun

• Like 2

So finally i have made some progress on the tamiya car

It's been primed and rubbed back

20141105_122241_zpsjzegbzxg.jpg

And primed again but im not entirely happy with it i think this sudden drop in temps has screwed up my process as after it went on it looked really pitted but that seems to have settled down a bit and i have gone through so much more primer than normal

20141105_130518_zpst8o08091.jpg

So really i should have a bit of colour on this by the end of the day

Shaun

So finally i have made some progress on the tamiya car

It's been primed and rubbed back

20141105_122241_zpsjzegbzxg.jpg

And primed again but im not entirely happy with it i think this sudden drop in temps has screwed up my process as after it went on it looked really pitted but that seems to have settled down a bit and i have gone through so much more primer than normal

20141105_130518_zpst8o08091.jpg

So really i should have a bit of colour on this by the end of the day

Shaun

Looking good. I have been following this build with interest as I have the Tamiya kit in my stash.

What primer have you used?

I used to use Halfords but now only go with Tamiya Fine Surface primer, which is expensive but does not need sanding down and so cuts a lot of time from preparation.

Thanks deegee13 and it is zero paints primer and normally it is a little better than tamiya but as i say above i dont think the temps are high enough today for it to go down nice

And i very highly recommend going from halfords to tamiya primer for the extra it cost you save in the time spent making it ready for the top coat. I dont think I ever needed to flat tamiya primer down before the top coat but i did when I used it on the other redbull massively

Shaun

A small update on the tamiya car.

All the components have now had the yellow and blue put on so i should get some gloss on tomorrow

And here's the radiators all made up

20141105_203704_zpslvyndk2i.jpg

Personally i am really pleased with them

More to come tomorrow

Shaun

So on the DTM car things have really taken a major step as you'll see below

The hubs for the front were screwed on and the rest of the suspension put on. quick thing on the screws and the corresponding holes, they where tapped to put a proper thread in there but i very quickly discovered that this metal is very soft and they did tend to tear up quite easy so i have started a thread on most of the and then letting the screw do the rest of the work after then I'm putting i smear of lock tight on the screws just to make sure they don't rattle out.

20141105_204656_zpsfkjeiyoq.jpg

Also i must add due to the next pic that i am drilling out the brake ducts for a more realistic look. Oh and just to add the near side hub where Iit connects to the top was sorted out after the picture was taken, Ii really don't know what happened as all the holes were done before paint so to be that far out confuses me

20141105_204647_zpsj44atodc.jpg

And now for (for me) a massive step in the build

The floor is stuck onto the car and screwed on aswell

20141106_114901_zpsfmaupzax.jpg

And one to show the gap between the floor and body the when i was test fitting wasnt there but after i put the glue on still wasnt there but after i put the screws in opened up to about 1mm but i car do much about it now so ill have to live with it. I have just noticed how this pic show the finish of the paint on the side pods and i must say that i am very happy with it now

20141106_114913_zpsi8lokc9z.jpg

After that i couldnt resist myself so i had to see how it looked with the wheels on

20141106_115029_zpsdlax9k47.jpg

And im quite pleased that i have the right redbull rake without tinkering

( for those who dont know what rake is it is the angle of the floor to the ground eg. Further from the ground at the rear compared with the front edge of the floor)

20141106_115100_zpsvpcjpec7.jpg

Thanks for looking and now i just have to put all the aero parts on once i have polished them up and then it should be done

Shaun

• Like 3

This looks great. I've fancied doing this but the complexity of the livery has put me off to date. I might take a little inspiration from this and give it a go!

I really urge you to do one the tamiya cars decals really there isn't that many that can go wrong but the dtm car literally every sponcer was a seperate decal and with the yellow and the blue if you airbrush i would go for the zero paints as i have found them to be the easiest paints to work with when doing a multi coloured car, a lot of the time with tamiya rattle cans i found no matter how well I thought the seal of the masking tape was a little would always find a way under and tamiya gloss i could never get the coat thickness right so it would always come out orange peeled or it would go on to heavy and dissolve the darker colour into the lighter one but with zeros premixed clear i have never had a problem caused by the paint and it is very hard to get it to run
Anyway enough rambling I would definitely do a red bull they do go together extremely well
Shaun
  • Like 1

A small update on the tamiya car

This is what i mean by how well zero paints are at a two colour body

20141108_150517_zpsjqck09lb.jpg

And i am working on the rear suspension

20141109_142435_zpskccsnuvw.jpg

The hubs are not glued i had to put them in place so i could get the pull rod angle right, which i should add that the pull rod is painted gun metal with the connectors at the ends done in a silver colour as it is in the haynes manual

20141109_142631_zpsbou0uaib.jpg

And here is a better shot of the radiators to show the carbon which has been sealed with a matt clear and the photoetch faces put on

20141109_142721_zpsnxupr6iv.jpg

All the blue parts of the body are now as we speak being cleared before i can put the decals on and a few of the smaller details are being sorted

And on the DTM car the last parts before final assembly are having a last coat of clear put on as i wasnt entirely happy with it so i had to rub it back a bit

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

Looks great!!

I've just started a Tamiya Spider 360 and I'm tempted to use Zero paints for the first time.

What do you use for cleaning the airbrush. Not the standard acrylic cleaner I guess? :hmmm:

Can I also ask, what's the 2K lacquer like to use? Or could I still use 'Klear'?

Wimbledon99: i would definitely use them and on hiroboy.com they do a specific range of colour matched paints for ferrari and i use the premixed clear as the base coats comes out between matt and semi gloss and i believe it's 1k, it takes a touch longer to dry but in my opinion it's just as good. The cleaner it recommends you use is there own airbrush cleaner but i use halfords cellulose thinner and i have never had any issues with it

gobs: thanks im quite proud of how they have turned out

Shaun

• Like 1